Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

Wikipedia Owner gives away Wiki for free

I think wikipedia is a good source of knowledge. Search engines provide us with great source, but the directories like dmoz and wikipedia are the best to offer.

peer review, the same way we can be sure that the encyclopedia brittanica is correct...

That and making sure it cites sources.

But I do not understand how he can host Wiki's for free and give away advertising revenue and still make money??

Some times money is not the motive, the users that come to the pit to help are a good example.

I am a big fan of the open source movement, but it will be interesting to see if any open source application can ever get main stream without ever deriving significant revenue. Some of these areas are using donations. I am currently using Thunderbird and I am very satisfied with the result. Plus I like the fact that they are continuously improving the product. Unlike Microsoft, which takes 5 years to come out with a new version of their operating system.

I understand that, but my question remains. I understand how people can donate their time to make better software, but this guy is giving away bandwidth. Someone has to pay the bills.

I am a big fan of the open source movement, but it will be interesting to see if any open source application can ever get main stream without ever deriving significant revenue. Some of these areas are using donations. I am currently using Thunderbird and I am very satisfied with the result. Plus I like the fact that they are continuously improving the product. Unlike Microsoft, which takes 5 years to come out with a new version of their operating system.

I understand that, but my question remains. I understand how people can donate their time to make better software, but this guy is giving away bandwidth. Someone has to pay the bills.

MySQL, Apache, PHP, FireFox, Mozilla, Open Office, SendMail, Google, IceCast, Hp printer drivers, Intel drivers, ..............you don't get much more main stream then those applications.

In Eurpoe, Asia, South America...........open source is very main stream, in governments, schools, colleges.............

People need to start looking at what is happening around them and come out of the dark corner they have been hiding in. :lol:

Seriously Rob, start looking at what is going on around the world, The United States is slowly catching on but still far, far behind the rest of the world when it comes to most technologies, even in common things like broadband access we are way behind, same goes for open mindedness, and non proprietary applications, we are way behind the rest of the world.

Open Source is very main stream, it is the US that is not main stream. ;)

Very true, even FOSS needs cash.

They have to rely upon grants and donations like this Wikipedia Fundraising

If I use an Open Source product, and I like it, I pay for it.

When I switched to OpenOffice, I gave them a donation. When I switched to KDE, I gave them a donation.

I suppose a good example of this is Magnatune, Magnatune lets you download your music for free; if you like it and would like to support the artist you can choose to pay for it. A large percentage goes to the artist, some to Magnatune and some to the Amarok music player who feature Magnatune in their jukebox software.

Another, I guess, is OpenSUSE (Not Suse Linux Enterprise), they let you download for free; or if you prefer you can buy the DVD.

I have downloaded to get the early release, but I will also be buying the DVD partly for convenience (I use a 5CD set) and partly to help build an economy in Open source.

It's easy to see why this method is spreading like wildfire.

When Open Office first got started, I made a large donation (5 figures) to the movement. My main reason for doing so is that Microsoft Office is an overpriced resource pig, that I feel that I am forced to use. Going back to the early days of the PC, writing software was very different. The trick was to get the code to be as small and efficient as possible to fit into the restrictions of an IBM PC. Remember that max memory was 640K? Furthermore, most PC's were not at maximum memory.

Bruce, I love your list and I have used most of the products on your list, but they are not mainstream. PHP and MySQL are for people that are running web sites. That said, I believe that ultimately all web servers are going to be running Linux, MySQL, and PHP. This is a big win for open source, in beating Microsoft.

The key issue is whether Linux and Open Office can actually become mainstream. One way for that to happen is if a major PC OEM could embrace the platform. My sense is that they are all still so scared of Microsoft that they are all chicken.

That's one of the things I like about you, Rob. You've got a heart of gold.

Didn't Dell, at one time, offer either Linux or no OS installed on their machines? I know on some of the really low end PCs (the ones you see in Wal-Mart ads for less than 300) use some distro of Linux.

I've been playing around with Suse for about a week or so and really like it. Linux, as a desktop alternative, has evolved greatly in the past few years.

Rob,

I am not running a web server, yet I use MySQL databases here at home, my PVR software uses MySQL to keep track of all the recordings, photos, music, videos, weather..............that database makes all those files easily accessible to all the other machines on my network. ;)

My wife uses Open Office everyday at home and at school for all her work related tasks.

Everything else I listed is also used here at my house, I consider Intel and HP products very mainstream :tup: Also consider Mozilla/FireFox very manistream.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

The point is open source is very mainstream, the US is out of touch and falling behind when it comes to "using" technology and applications that are available.

The rest of the world is racing along and the US is stuck in 1999 mode.

I think, Bruce, that a lot of the mindset with almost everything is "You get what you pay for". Therefor, if something is free, it must not be very good.

I do realize that open-source doesn't automatically mean something is free.

That mind set, when it comes to computer software is a very bad mind set to have, especially in this day and age.

when they think free software the idea of it being opensource wouldnt even cross there minds

they think free is good weither its opensource or not as long as it installs on there operating systems

that is not mainstream at all, primitive to say the least

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has announced plans to launch a new user driven search engine.

"Mr Wales believes that the reputation already fostered by his Wikipedia community and the transparency of his technology will build sufficient trust in his search engine to bring in advertising revenue and make the Wikiasari venture profitable."

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2517026,00.html

Amazon's involvement is very intriguing ...

http://search.wikia.com/wiki/Search_Wikia

Silly name, but I'll give it a go.

I doubt any engine will ever be as useful as Google though.