Sign in to follow this  
bellacoup

Touchstone Driveragent.com.

I was very disappointed in what I got from Touchstone driveragent for my $29.95. This is the first complaint i have ever had with pcpitstop, and it was not their service that did not meet expectations,but rather their recommendation. One of the drivers driveagent said i needed was one revision older than what i had. Two drivers were not suitable for my single home PC; they were for corporate networks and mobile printing. All I wound up with was a different driver for my mouse,no better than the one I got from Dell for free.

FYI.User ID: 52952

I had downloaded it a while back - not from what I saw here but from ad about it I had received from PCWorld. I was equally disappointed because it gave several false driver notifications.

But...there was no hassle as far as getting my account credited for a refund. I think I had it on my computer for a week or so before I found it of little value. Not saying it wouldn't benefit some people but they are good about it if you don't like it.

funny, i found this service EXTREMELY useful and time saving.

it's pretty much a database of a large number of drivers that i use when searching for clients computers. usually these computers are outdated, and so are their driver support. this makes it very easy to find such drivers and get them going in probably 1/4 the time of searching the net for a compatible driver

Not pointing fingers at anyone

But have computer users in general become so compliant and trusting

that they can pay for software to run updates and check for newer or

updated drivers, rather than taking the time to do it them selves,

and at least be reasonably sure the updates are needed?

Not pointing fingers at anyone

But have computer users in general become so compliant and trusting

that they can pay for software to run updates and check for newer or

updated drivers, rather than taking the time to do it them selves,

and at least be reasonably sure the updates are needed?

What if you don't know exactly what it is you're looking for? If the hardware is unknown, this is usually good at identifying it.

What if you don't know exactly what it is you're looking for? If the hardware is unknown, this is usually good at identifying it.

Not to sound mean but if you have a computer and you do not know what hardware you have then you should either box it up and send it back and get your money back or take to someone who either knows or is capable of finding out. If you have a pre-built computer it came with documentation if you built it your self then there is no reason that you should not know.

Having software to tell you is a good thing to a point, but one really should know what they have

specially if a hardware problem prevents you from booting, which of course would make any kind

of hardware identification software useless.

Edited by Bear

Bear, I'm not talking about new systems. Yes, if you build a new system, it's easy to identify what hardware you have. However, if you have old hardware that someone either gave to you or asked you to fix, you don't always know what it is that is in there. Usually it's easy to figure out what kind of chip set the motherboard has, but I've seen some expansion cards (like network cards, modems, sound cards) that really have no way of identifying what exactly they are. Windows XP does a better job of recognizing that hardware than Windows 98 did, but it's nowhere near perfect. Driver-Agent does do a decent job at identifying these mysterious items.

Guess it is just me every computer i have ever had the very first thing i do

is open them up and start poking around, except of course ones i build.

so i always know whats there.

Saved me a couple of times

Once vid card fan not plugged in

Once ram not seated correctly

Edited by Bear

Bear, I'm not talking about new systems. Yes, if you build a new system, it's easy to identify what hardware you have. However, if you have old hardware that someone either gave to you or asked you to fix, you don't always know what it is that is in there. Usually it's easy to figure out what kind of chip set the motherboard has, but I've seen some expansion cards (like network cards, modems, sound cards) that really have no way of identifying what exactly they are. Windows XP does a better job of recognizing that hardware than Windows 98 did, but it's nowhere near perfect. Driver-Agent does do a decent job at identifying these mysterious items.

Theres a few good free products that will do this for you as well ... heres one ive used in the past

http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/