Change Mode

:filtered: me off

ok, i REALLY hate it when people that don't ACTUALLY have any idea about computers other than how to use the internet are asked to help other people buy and setup a computer. person happens to be my g/f.

she wants to go off and help the guy blow a grand, that fine, but she comes back after ALL DAY of trying to setup this HP computer out of a box and is asking me questions. it's so DAMN IRRITATING trying to help someone w/ extremely limited knowledge when they say they know how to do it all.

are all women like this?! geesh

:thud:

she called me up because she couldn't get aol to connect, lol, then couldn't find windows update....... her reference words include the thingy and the other thing and the one thing. intel is refered to as inteleron and she didn't even know that there were things such as AMD or dual core.

maybe it's me, but it just irritates me to no end when this stuff happens.

anyone else relate?

I can...my friend is always trying to be like me...first off when I said i was building a computer...he got all 'interested' and now he wants me to build him one and i sed ill charge him 100 euro for a good computer (ontop of the actual part-cost) and he said no because his mum didnt want to pay me

so now he wants to build me one and is emailing me and asking me at school like, 'What parts do i need to make a computer?' he is so [email protected] (and he talks to himself)

Welcome to the wonderful world of bull dropping's, I know numerous people like that, I think to myself why can't people just be themselves like I am, I never claim to of done something I haven't, TBH I don't need to as there aren't many things I haven't done anyway, but I know my limits, I would tell (and do often) people who want me to do this that and the other that I can do what I can and I tell them when I am in virgin territory but feel it is doable, or simply I can't because it's beyond my limits (albeit mainly physical these days), I will happily build a PC, have done a few now, it isn't rocket science, BUT, when it comes to choosing the components that is a totally different ball game, I can clearly tell them about some of the obvious known good and bad things, but I will ALWAYS tell them it's best to get second opinions from somewhere like here just incase something you choose knowing to be good may not go well with something else, and I am clear in telling ANYONE that I do not have the experience to tell them that side of it and insist on getting further opinions before committing to it, just a shame others can't seem to do that. :mrsgreen:

that's the same as me random but it was my friend from galway and i didn't have th privilage of seeing it a lot just twice so i had to really remember everything lol

but 810 guy i know its nice being a good person in helping him but he annoys me beyond belief and im pretty sure his family would sue me if anything went wwrong with the computer because they are that type of people

i said to him that if HE got all the parts i would put them together but it was then which parts should i get and what do i need for a computer etc.

ok i thiink ill get offline now the wind is really scaring me because i can see my window moving inwards whicle its closed and you'd swear its like 100 mph =*(

Yep I know people like that except they would never sue because I make sure they know the risks before I start, but if I knew someone like that (more so the parents for suing) I would NOT touch them with a barge pole, not saying I would ditch them as a mate, but I would be clear and say you will NOT offer advice on such issues because you don't need the comeback over it if it goes wrong, I would simply send them to PC world and sit back and watch the show LOL.

are all women like this?! geesh

:thud:

Nope.....I built my computer from the case up, without a single phone call to anyone. :mrgreen: I don't claim to know it all....just look at all the questions I've asked here in the last year. :lol: I did, however, call Bruce more than once with Linux questions on the other computer he sent me. :rolleyes:

Argh I know so many people like that... had many arguments. Ok I'd say I know a fair bit about pc's but there's a hell of a lot (esp Ocing) that I don't have a clue about but these people bug me soo much. Last argument I had I believe was about RAID, he said it was slower than single I said it was faster. He then told me the speed of a hard drive is directly proportional to it's size WTH.

Normally I just leave them alone and let them destroy the computers themsleves... Damn it was funny to watch :P

Oh yeah funniest thing I was told in a conversation with a girl about Windows etc.. (don't ask, it was random!) and I said that I computer I was working on couldn't install Windows. She then turned round to me and told me I was an idiot and I should have installed Microsoft first!!

well, I built my first PC knowing Jack :filtered::lol:... I was at a friends house and he told me he built his, and that I should build one if I wanted a PC, that it was easy... I was 13 at the time... I don't know how, why, or what devine power helped me, but I built it. I did kill my DFI mobo about a month later... Flashing it with Win flash woot! It sucked at oc'ing so it was good, cause I bought a board that was half the price and oc'es like wonder... still running to this day and should be in the Retro category for the TRP challenge.

Alot of people made fun of me for my decision, but my first custom computer, I had Best Buy build. After that, I sat down with a mean look on my face, read a manual, and then I built my first computer. The first one I built was an Athlon64 3400+.

Then, I built my X2 rig, and after my dad spilled coffee on it and ruined the motherboard, I got my Core 2 rig. I could have kept my X2 setup, because everything but the motherboard worked fine, but I just wanted an excuse to upgrade due to early birthday money I had recieved due to one of my family members moving to Britain with her fiance, and the fact thatI got a nice check from my job.

Computer ingnorance is in no way gender related. To clearify, a female will be more likely to look for answers from real experts and accept what they have to say whereas a man will simply ask and ask and ask until someone gives him an answer that he wants to hear.

:geezer: My advice, wonder is to back your girlfriend up 100% and give her all the help that you can without getting aggrivated. It will really pay off in the long run.

Computer ingnorance is in no way gender related. To clearify, a female will be more likely to look for answers from real experts and accept what they have to say whereas a man will simply ask and ask and ask until someone gives him an answer that he wants to hear.

:geezer: My advice, wonder is to back your girlfriend up 100% and give her all the help that you can without getting aggrivated. It will really pay off in the long run.

Man, you could not be any more right.

Hahahaha you know what the scary part is? Not your 'friend-who-is-good-with-computers' but an actual computer retailer....who doesn't know what they are doing...

Before I gained proper computer knowledge, I was a dumb*** and bought my pc from MDG.CA (I didn't link it, because I DON'T want you to go there!!!) in April this year. After a bunch of problems with my nVidia 7600GT OC, such as waiting for three months for RMA, I decided to take action...

A letter from my lawyer made miracles happen..... Someone from the store called me and told me it was going to be replaced with an Ati X1900XTX and installed for free!!! Nice of them ey?

Now the good part...when they installed it, they 'forgot' to clear the second slot opening for air to escape!! Luckily I caught that mistake on time...before I blew up my card....but can you imagine?? :pullhair: This was also the part where I found out that a lot of parts , such as the PSU that was only 350Watt(not enough for total setup!!!) and so called High Performance Corsair was Value Select RAM.

PPL, PLEASE WATCH WHAT YOU DO BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!

Thx, Prof. Dr. Silver :beer:

rtyrie1 and Brandon: That is the ONLY way to go!!!:

"My advice, wonder is to back your girlfriend up 100% and give her all the help that you can without getting aggrivated. It will really pay off in the long run."

well, i did that. i mean i prateled on for probably an hour about what she's wanting to look for in a pc to make it worth the money. then probably about another hour on setting it up so it was secure and safe to use and browse the net with.

she did decent on picking out a good pc but i believe i totally lost her talking about setting up user accounts and stuff. she came back home and told me that she fixed the internet and made it work on her own. a little surprised i asked how.... "i turned off the firewalls".

... lotta work to do, though everytime there's ANY problem here, it becomes something along the lines of "that's why i've got my geek"...... :surrender:

Oh yeah funniest thing I was told in a conversation with a girl about Windows etc.. (don't ask, it was random!) and I said that I computer I was working on couldn't install Windows. She then turned round to me and told me I was an idiot and I should have installed Microsoft first!!

:funny:

LOL I can just imagine that happening and I know people like that, they try to 'suck up to you' in hopes of getting knowledge and in hopes of getting a cheap computer.

but they get nearly everthing wrong you just want to smak the on the head with a keyboard :hammer::thud::pullhair: