Change Mode

Optimer unable to access the Internet

spolan

When I run Optimize after selecting Connection Type, Maximum Related Download Speed and Schedule, and hit Next, I get a message about how Optimize needs access to the Internet to test my connection. Even though I have DSL and am obviously connected to the Internet, Optimize is unable to access the Internet and I keep hitting the Retry button. I have Trend Micro PC-cillion Internet Security 2007 as my anti-virus/firewall programme if that helps. Can you help?

Optimize does all of the other things that it is supposed to, though.

:wp:

Firewall configuration issues are best handled by the company that provides the product.

You can reach Trend Micro support at: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/sup...entral.do?id=m1

This is what has worked for PC-cillin 2006:

Allow ICMP while in Home Network Profile with Medium Security Level.

1. Open PC-cillin Console and click Personal Network and Firewall Controls.

2. Click Personal Firewall then click Settings.

3. Double-click Home Network Profile and select Network Control.

4. Click Add and create a rule to Allow ICMP using the following data:

General: Allow - Outgoing

Ports: All ports

All IP Addresses

Protocol: ICMP

You will need to set your firewall to allow www.pcpitstop.com. The corresponding IP is 64.29.201.21. The program name is PCPOptimze.exe and Optimize also needs to be able to receive incoming pings, or have "server" status.

If you are using the Windows firewall, go to Start>Control Panel>Windows Firewall>General and make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" box is NOT checked.

Also, please check for the setting below, and if it exists, that it is set to 'OK'.

Start/ControlPanel/SecurityCenter/WindowsFirewall/Advanced(TAB)/NetworkConnectionSettings/SelectSettings(RadioButton)/ICMP(TAB)/Check Allow Incoming ECHO/ OK

If you continue to receive the error message, open a command prompt and type "ping pcpitstop.com" without the quotes and see if the ping test times out or completes. The computer will have to have a successful ping test for Optimize to be able to connect to the Internet.

Archived