Change Mode

yet another video card advice thread..

i just upped my systems ram by adding a 1 gig stick of ddr2-pc4300 ram, i already have a slot with 512mbs.. that wasnt a real good performance booster.. I have integrated ati xpress 200 graphics which are really bad! I can barely run games with out lag. I have one pci-e port and was wondering what video card would suit me the best.

tech link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=DGRDFWG7GYWSW0UC

any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

thanks. :)

what games do you play or atleast the ones you will like to play :)

uhmm i tried need for speed carbon and lets just say that i could walk faster then the speed which the cars were moving haha also i wouldnt mind some battlefield 2 or f.e.a.r.

but yeah my integrated graphics isnt cutting it :(

What's your budget? That's probably the most important factor of all lol

well as of now i am saving up for a new laptop which will be a amd turion x2 with 1gig of ram and some decent graphics.. judging by my techlink, do you think that i should just wait till i get a laptop or get a nice vid card. I mean this comp is only a celeron D.. nothing special.. versus a dual core lap top..

hmm :huh:

speaking from experience as i've recently droped a very large sum of money on one of the best laptops you could get, with one of the best video cards (one step down from the 79gtx, lol), laptops do not game well for the money spent.

you'd be FAR happier spending 250 bux getting a nice pci-e card for your desktop and actually play games that look nice than blowing the money on your laptop video card and still getting lag issues at the same graphics settings.

laptops just can't compete with desktops for ANY reasonable amount of money.

speaking from experience as i've recently droped a very large sum of money on one of the best laptops you could get, with one of the best video cards (one step down from the 79gtx, lol), laptops do not game well for the money spent.

you'd be FAR happier spending 250 bux getting a nice pci-e card for your desktop and actually play games that look nice than blowing the money on your laptop video card and still getting lag issues at the same graphics settings.

that was very insightful. Thanks alot. But next question is what would be the best card for my specs (celeron d 3.2ghz, 1406mb ram ddr2 pc-4300) like pci-e im not talking about the latest model, but considering my specs, what would i be able to benefit and take the most power from?

i just got a eVGA Geforce 7600GT KO

i have a 300 watt power supply, what will happen is i run this on my comp. It says it needs a minimum 400 watt psu ..

so will it mess up the card if it is undersupplied with power??

Edited by camry

i doubt it'll start up, LMAO. it'll prolly just make loud beeps at you, and if it does start up, the moment you start to game it'll likely crash.

your 300 watt unit is likely a generic, underpowered unit too, isn't it?

stepping up to a 500+ watt unit will only set you back 50bux usd for a decent unit.

i doubt it'll start up, LMAO. it'll prolly just make loud beeps at you, and if it does start up, the moment you start to game it'll likely crash.

your 300 watt unit is likely a generic, underpowered unit too, isn't it?

stepping up to a 500+ watt unit will only set you back 50bux usd for a decent unit.

k, i'll pick a 450-500 watt soon. :)

the guy at the store said the "eVGA Geforce 7600GT KO" was the best card they had in.. they also had a x1600, but he said the 7600 was "40%" better. What do you guys think? (keep in mind i have a celeron d 3.2ghz)

Edited by camry

76gt in my opinion is far better. not sure about 40%, lol, but ya.

when looking for a unit, you should look for the 12volt rail amps. if it's a single rail, go for about 22amps. dual rail, you could get by w/ dual 18amps.

i'd suggest starting a new thread for advice on which psu to get.

76gt in my opinion is far better. not sure about 40%, lol, but ya.

when looking for a unit, you should look for the 12volt rail amps. if it's a single rail, go for about 22amps. dual rail, you could get by w/ dual 18amps.

i'd suggest starting a new thread for advice on which psu to get.

i just got a 550 watt maddog psu, and im running my video card and everything.. it seems to be running fine??

is too much power bad? i upped from 350 to 550.. :blink:

of course it will lag as you play with onboard video, which is a real sucker.

still usable though...

also laptops get their video ram from the ram itself, so nothing improves.

you said you have a pcie slot in your mobo. here's a good and cheapo one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814131007

of course it will lag as you play with onboard video, which is a real sucker.

still usable though...

also laptops get their video ram from the ram itself, so nothing improves.

you said you have a pcie slot in your mobo. here's a good and cheapo one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814131007

thanks, but i already got a e-geforce 7600 GT KO

it is pretty decent i guess..

too much power= bigger electricity bill lol

ahh man... i wish i had a use for that 550watt psu, my video card doesnt even draw from it.. oh well.

thanks alot guys, you really helped :)

my laptop in my sig games 100% fine i play mosty every game out there that takes tons and that laptop plays them all great:)

the main cause that holds the laptop back is the hardrive which does not perform as a desktop hardrive.

the ony way i get lag or low frames is when the hardrive goes wacky.

but desktops are more powerfull like my current destop amd op duel [email protected] 2.7ghzs and raid and a x1900gt very fast desktop haveint found a game to stop it yet:) tho that doesint meen laptops cant game well.

Edited by gordesky1