Sign in to follow this  
andromeda

Need a Cell phone directory on line?

Are there any "real" cell phone directories on line? We always get cell phone calls show up on caller ID but it doesn't say who it is. I'd like to be able to reverse look up cell numbers without costing $14...OH HELLO! :rolleyes:

i'd prolly get rid of my cell phoneif they did, lmao

but since you obviously want to know who's calling, CALL THEM BACK

Edited by wdeydwondrer

In the UK I think they add them to the normal phone book listings, but never really looked but I remember it being said they had, I usually figure if it's someone who wants me that bad they'll ring back, you could always try googling it lol, it may throw something up, I do that when I want to know what area code is from where, they also have online phone books, do they not have that over there ? worth a shot, but TBH ringing it back may be the only way to know for sure, BUT beware, there are scams floating around that will strip your phones credit or run up large bills extremely fast, around $30 US for a matter of a minute, so watch out for premium rate numbers, and NEVER punch in ANY numbers if they ask you to, even if they claim they are an engineer running tests as that is one of the scams going around and will cost you dearly, so best to let them ring you back IMHO, if they don't it probably wasn't that urgent.

In the UK I think they add them to the normal phone book listings, but never really looked but I remember it being said they had, I usually figure if it's someone who wants me that bad they'll ring back, you could always try googling it lol, it may throw something up, I do that when I want to know what area code is from where, they also have online phone books, do they not have that over there ? worth a shot, but TBH ringing it back may be the only way to know for sure, BUT beware, there are scams floating around that will strip your phones credit or run up large bills extremely fast, around $30 US for a matter of a minute, so watch out for premium rate numbers, and NEVER punch in ANY numbers if they ask you to, even if they claim they are an engineer running tests as that is one of the scams going around and will cost you dearly, so best to let them ring you back IMHO, if they don't it probably wasn't that urgent.

No, no public database.

There is a telemarketing database, but they have to buy your info from your provider.

I don't do much with phones these days TBH so I don't get to hear much about them any more, but you certainly have to be careful, the latest trend seems to be taking photos or video of you using your plastic while pretending to be on the phone, but maybe these are mainly UK based at this time ? but here are some examples.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/life/...cle_1353200.php

>>>Another Scam<<<

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/yorkslincs/...pam_fraud.shtml

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/which_prs_survey/

BTW, I'd hate to see a cell phone directory. Before long it would get as bad as the land lines are. I'm sure they will anyway.

Personally I could do w/out a cell phone directory online or in print. It'd be a waste. Its just as bad as getting a new phone with a new number that is unpublished and boom you get your first phone call and you havent even given out your number yet, and it is one of those stupid people saying. Please hold for an important announcement, "Hello sir, you have won a free trip, now to verify who you are I will need your Credit Card information". But then you reply to them saying you didn't win anything cause you just got this number, this phone and havent even had time to call your own friends to give them the number.

Dont you just love that? Well I don't and a cell directory online or in print would just make it worse if you ask me.