Change Mode

What could cause Win2kPro to take forever

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=FAT1FWW1VYWSC1RC

This is a fresh install of Win2kPro, I've installed anti-spyware/antivirus apps (Ad-aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Avast), maintenance tools (Cleanup! O&O Defrag), productivity tools (Works 2000, Irfanview, Adobe Reader 6.01), Multimedia apps (WMP9, Quicktime, RealPlayer), disabled everything that wants to run in the background doing anything, including Works Calendar Reminders, Qttask.exe, Real's autoupdater, Adobe Reader's autoupdater, Sun Java's autoupdater, anything that wants to run in the background needlessly has been disabled.

The only thing running in the background is Avast, and TweakUI runs at Startup as well. The first I noticed anything was amiss was after I had just established a dialup internet connection (I'd been using my ethernet card to get updates, but they were going to be connected via dialup), installed FreshUI, and was just bringing it up to apply for a free registration number. FreshUI always "reads" the system to find out what's what as you bring it up the first time, and I noticed it seemed slow "reading" the system.

I've used FreshUI countless times, never had a problem with it, use it on my own computers as well. The tweaks I've chosen do not require it to run at Startup, in fact nothing runs at Startup but Avast! (which seemed to be running fine on this computer) and TweakUI. I trimmed down all the unnecessary Services, I've run all the antispyware/antivirus tools, I even pulled the motherboard battery & unplugged it for a bit to see if that would have any effect whatsoever. It didn't.

The problem I'm having is that it wants to get stuck, in the rebooting or shutting down process, at 'Saving your settings'. It just hangs there for a full minute before it continues on with rebooting or shutting down. Then when it starts back up, it takes longer than it should establishing network connections and reapplying your settings. The biggest problem however is the shutting down or rebooting process, and the way it hangs at 'Saving your settings' for a full minute.

I can't for the life of me pinpoint where the problem may lie. There's nothing that I can tell running in the background for it to get hung up on, no printers have been installed, no buggy crap software, nothing I haven't used countless times before, and yet this thing is taking forever to shut down or reboot.

Any ideas? -kd5-

It certainly sounds like something is running in the background, I have a vague recollection of seeing some utility or other offer the opportunity to show hidden running services, if you can remember what it is could you try other to see what is going on ?

the problem is hardware kd5, your used to being on a fast machine, that thing needs memory and atleast a 1ghz chip, granted xp is a bloated form of win2k but lets look at system requirements here, its probably a little more than recomended.

edit: they still run this os at my place of employment, the system specs arent much different and it takes minutes to boot these systems.

Edited by duanester

Oops :blushing: didn't see the test up there, and yes it does take a while to do anything on such systems, dealt with many of that spec and it always takes forever, even more so when running protection, so now that I've seen the spec I agree with duanester, such a system will start choking when asked to do stuff trying to keep up with you often freezing out until you allow it to catch up.

you might be able to get a small boost in performance though come to think of it

thats an intel mobo in there, go to intels site a dl the latest inf file "board driver"

im sure the one win2k is using may be a few years off including the graphics driver!

its an 810 chipset from checking the test results

Now for my.02 worth Keith.

Avast is an excellent free AV but it is rescource hungry almost as much as the paid ones we stay away from. :rolleyes:

I dumped Avast and now use AntiVir and AVG on systems I work on.

Also have you turned off the unnessary services like messenger and remote regestry?

I had disabled/deleted all unnecessary processes/startup types of all applicable applications using the System Startup section of Spybot S&D and via Services. Anything I could disable through the actual application I did prior to deleting them via Spybot (as opposed to just unchecking them via msconfig). Task Manager did not reveal any unnecessary processes whatsoever. I just chalk it up to the combination of Win2kPro and Avast. Decided to dump Win2kPro and go back to Windows ME, which was the original operating system and the one I had reinstalled before attempting 2kPro. Avast runs great on ME. The main reason I had even switched in the first place was trouble with the DVDROM drive (didn't want to play DVDs, I now think the drive is just old & tired). It plays if you set the resolution down to 800x600, it did the same with 2kPro.

I'm back up and ready to give this computer back to the customer:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=FAH1FWW1VYWSC1RC

Thanks guys, -kd5-

thats an intel mobo in there, go to intels site a dl the latest inf file "board driver"

I had/have installed all the latest drivers from the manufacturers (Intel, Creative). The Chipset Software Installation Utility (board driver) was not required (driver said the OS already supported that chipset, no update was necessary). Graphics & sound drivers as well as modem were all updated to the latest available. -kd5-

kd5, is that new test link suppose to contain windows mellenium install?

Yes, but it had the wrong link (Ooops... :blushing: )

It's been updated... ;) -kd5-