Sign in to follow this  
shogan191

2006 PITSTOP 500

I was caught without a Kentsfield because I had an ES version and at the time the pit test did not support all four cores so I had no idea that would end up being the way to go. Once I was Winds score I knew I would have to get one in and try it out. At first I thought it was a dud since I was having major stability problems even at 3.2 ghz. I guess the Quads just dont like a high FSB for whatever reason.

Now we have to see where the quads will be stable enough to run 3D06 at. I am guessing it is somewhere under 4ghz with a single stage phase.

:cheers: Gryph

Yes another very nice competition, congrats to Flew, Gryph who did there usual job OCing things to the limits, and also special congratulations to Windsurf48, who really surprised us from nowhere. These 3 guys have done a nice job of entertaining the crowd in the last few days..

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE, Also thanks to I_G for keeping the database going every single day, and finally to all the PitCops who also did a wonderful job of being a :cop: , thats it for me, I apologize if anything wrong was said.

For now :salute: , Happy New Years to all of you, keep those rigs cool for some days now, :lol:

I guess the Quads just dont like a high FSB for whatever reason.

Now we have to see where the quads will be stable enough to run 3D06 at. I am guessing it is somewhere under 4ghz with a single stage phase.

eVGA techs have reported that nVidia and eVGA are looking into BIOS issues with Quads which are limiting FSBs. If that's the case, then Intel should be looking into it, too, because 975x boards seem to have the same limitation. It also means that there could be a whole new round of exploding scores if BIOS fixes come out.

There a half dozen top PCMark05 scores which were set by Quads with FSB 300 or less and CPUs clocked over 4 GHz. There are 3DMark06 scores with Quads clocked over 4.8 GHz, but some or all could be using dry ice.

Mike

Great finish ... I had to work so I missed it. I was rootin for ya flew as I was reading it. I was wishing you had one more to throw in there. I think you had Grygh sweatin waiting :rofl2:

Great finish ... I had to work so I missed it. I was rootin for ya flew as I was reading it. I was wishing you had one more to throw in there. I think you had Grygh sweatin waiting :rofl2:

Gryphs a great guy and OC'r ......... felt pretty good to keep up with him B)

Congrats to Gryph, Flew, and Windsurf48!! Y'all really put on a good show here the last week of this comp. And congrats to the rest of ya' that placed in the top 10 and to everyone else "Great Job guys!!"

This has been one of the best ever. :geezer:

A special thank you to Shogan and Intel Guy for making the competition so great. :) I think the pittest has hit demensions no one thought was possible. What an amazing finish.

Edited by rtyrie1

A special thank you to Shogan and Intel Guy for making the competition so great. :) I think the pittest has hit demensions no one thought was possible. What an amazing finish.

It was helped by the timing of the releases of nVidia's 680i and Intel's QX6700. There wasn't enough time to figure out how to get the most out of them before December, which definitely made the last weeks more exciting. The fact that the quad core CPUs don't reach their peak using the same settings as the Core 2 Duos helped, too.

I just read that the Core 2 Quad processors need an increase in the GTL Ref Voltage for each core in order to handle higher FSBs. I only found references to the initial post in VRZone, so it may or may not be true:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=112265

Mike

I would think if it came from Shamino then it is true. A shame they didnt figure that out before the first batch of boards.

haha good job guys, gryph man u are one crazy dude :mrgreen:

but i think i should get a prize for getting my cpu to test at like a 38% overclock xD Athlon 3000+0 @ 2.75ghz from 2.0 ftw on stock cooler with a bigger fan and custom heatpipes that prolly didnt help and freezing temps outside in the darkness w00 :laughing:

Congrats to the winners and all the Players for entering... :clap:

Congrats to Shogan & Intel Guy for a kick'in contest... :clap::clap::clap:

Next Week... (TRP Challenge)

Lets see how the big guns and every one else stacks up against closer competition :geezer:

I would think if it came from Shamino then it is true. A shame they didnt figure that out before the first batch of boards.

If you know Shamino's reputation, then I'm much more inclined to trust the post. However, I still haven't seen anything about improving FSB overclocking on 975x boards, and Intel should have plenty of time to test QX6700s on that chipset.

It looks as though the DFI board coming out in two weeks includes settings for the GTL Ref Voltage. It also has different spacing for the three PCIe 16x slots, which might make it possible for me to use two Geforce 8800 GTXs plus a PCIe RAID card without block the airflow of one of the video cards.

Mike

If you know Shamino's reputation, then I'm much more inclined to trust the post. However, I still haven't seen anything about improving FSB overclocking on 975x boards, and Intel should have plenty of time to test QX6700s on that chipset.

It looks as though the DFI board coming out in two weeks includes settings for the GTL Ref Voltage. It also has different spacing for the three PCIe 16x slots, which might make it possible for me to use two Geforce 8800 GTXs plus a PCIe RAID card without block the airflow of one of the video cards.

Mike

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=246517

Mike

I doubt anyone will be using SLI on that board since it is an ATI/AMD chipset and will only allow/support Crossfire

I doubt anyone will be using SLI on that board since it is an ATI/AMD chipset and will only allow/support Crossfire

That's not the board I meant. DFI is bringing out two new boards, and this one uses the 680i chipset:

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4349&s=2

By the way, I'd be meaning to ask about RAID 0 parameters and the PC Pitstop test. My Adaptec 4805SAS PCIe RAID 0 array was getting less then 2/3s your score. I haven't seen this kind of gap on other benchmarks, including SiSoft Sandra and HD Tach. I remember getting low scores with single SCSI drives in the past on the Pitstop tests, and wondered if that's what is happening with my RAID array or whether I need to keep trying different stripe sizes or other parameters. Caching is enabled for both read and write. I tried dropping from the controller default 128k stripe to 32k, but that produced lower scores on all tests.

Mike

It is more than likely just a pitstop thing. I am sure your scsi array is actually faster. The pit just likes 4 raptors in raid0 with about a 80g partition.

It is more than likely just a pitstop thing. I am sure your scsi array is actually faster. The pit just likes 4 raptors in raid0 with about a 80g partition.

That's my impression, too, based on scores in other benchmarks. I did try some recommended tweaks and various partition sizes but they didn't make any significant difference.

Mike