Sign in to follow this  
shogan191

2006 PITSTOP 500

Anybody have AMD FX 74 Quad Core? I would like to see how they perform against Intel Extreme Quad Core. I know AMD will do better on Quad Core.

Anybody have AMD FX 74 Quad Core? I would like to see how they perform against Intel Extreme Quad Core. I know AMD will do better on Quad Core.

Not according to the reviews I've read, assuming the reviews match the real world. As I understand it, prior to Core 2 Duo, AMD's dual core advantage was the result of better integration of the two cores. The Core 2 Quads set AMD up to do the same thing since they are basically two Core 2 Duos on the same chip, but AMD's current set up has two completely separate dual core CPUs, so the four cores are even less integrated than Intel's.

Mike

Raw score 9188

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=0WREFWJV8JJSK0BJ

Processor (CPU) Millions of instructions per second (MIPS) 55637 0.100 5564

Memory (RAM) Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 16151 0.100 1615

Video 2D Megapixels per second (MP/sec) 1573 1.000 1573

Uncached Disk I/O Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 168 2.000 336

Internet Download Kilobits per second (Kb/sec) 285 5057 0.100 100

Tips Deduction for red/yellow flags 0 -10 0

Total Weighted Score 9188

If I understand correctly, 615 will be deducted from the video score for an adjusted score of 8573.

Mike

holly piece of crap, are we down to a third world war, just a little different one this time, only btw 2 individuals, have some shame, stop uprading for god sake :surrender::lol: ... Mike now thats one helluva score, waaaaa.

holly piece of crap, are we down to a third world war, just a little different one this time, only btw 2 individuals, have some shame, stop uprading for god sake :surrender::lol: ... Mike now thats one helluva score, waaaaa.

I didn't upgrade anything. I was going back and forth between an Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro and an eVGA nForce 680i with my 6400 CPU, trying to determine which overclocked better and what their relative strengths and weaknesses were. I've also been switching back and forth between a Geforce 7900 GT and 8800 GTX because the 8800s have terrible 2D performance.

I arranged it so my first QX6700 tests were on the Asus motherboard because I expected to end up using the 680i since it was producing better results with the 6400 CPU, so I waited to swap the 680i back in until after I'd had some time to explore the potential of the QX6700 with the 975x chipset.

I barely reached 8000 on the Asus motherboard. I've been getting steady results over 8000 with the 680i, but I've held off posting them because I was still experimenting with different settings and there didn't seem to be any point in posting every 10 or 20 point increase.

I'm still experimenting to figure out exactly what makes the QX6700 and 680i happiest, including researching what other people are doing as I reported in the 8000 club on PCMark05 scores. Changing settings seems to have significantly different effects on performance and stability than changing the same settings with a Core 2 Duo.

Mike

I didn't upgrade anything. I was going back and forth between an Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro and an eVGA nForce 680i with my 6400 CPU, trying to determine which overclocked better and what their relative strengths and weaknesses were. I've also been switching back and forth between a Geforce 7900 GT and 8800 GTX because the 8800s have terrible 2D performance.

I arranged it so my first QX6700 tests were on the Asus motherboard because I expected to end up using the 680i since it was producing better results with the 6400 CPU, so I waited to swap the 680i back in until after I'd had some time to explore the potential of the QX6700 with the 975x chipset.

I barely reached 8000 on the Asus motherboard. I've been getting steady results over 8000 with the 680i, but I've held off posting them because I was still experimenting with different settings and there didn't seem to be any point in posting every 10 or 20 point increase.

I'm still experimenting to figure out exactly what makes the QX6700 and 680i happiest, including researching what other people are doing as I reported in the 8000 club on PCMark05 scores. Changing settings seems to have significantly different effects on performance and stability than changing the same settings with a Core 2 Duo.

Mike

Hey good to know, thanks let me know, because Shogan listed a Intel board, but I Was looking at the evga 680i board, I was also looking at the Asus board you mentioned, most of all I will also be getting the e6400, would like to know what you discover. Thanks, and I was kidding on the post lol. Good luck :tup::)

Hey good to know, thanks let me know, because Shogan listed a Intel board, but I Was looking at the evga 680i board, I was also looking at the Asus board you mentioned, most of all I will also be getting the e6400, would like to know what you discover. Thanks, and I was kidding on the post lol. Good luck :tup::)

I got the P5WDG2 WS Pro because I wanted a PCI-x slot for a Serial-Attached SCSI HBA. Now I've upgraded to an SAS RAID controller, I'm not limited to the PCI-x interface. I went with the 6400 because it was only a little more than a 6300 and the 6600s were out of stock everywhere when I bought it, but it turns out to have been a great choice.

I have to say that both the Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro and eVGA nForce 680i are great boards, although there still are some teething problems with the 680i chipset. However, it seems to be a bit more potential than the 975x. The P5WDG2 WS Pro is certainly more stable and easier to overclock, but the higher learning curve with the 680i isn't necessarily a bad thing if your goal is to have fun learning and experimenting.

I think you'd be happy with any of the Asus 975x or p965 motherboards (the newer p965 motherboards get the ICH8 southbridge instead of the older ICH7), or with the eVGA nForce 680i. The Asus Striker seems overpriced and offers a bunch of features I wouldn't use, and any complaints about the eVGA 680i seem to apply to all the 680i motherboards.

Neither the Asus nor the nVidia special overclocking functions and utilities seem to work as well as manually setting things in BIOS, so those features aren't useful in deciding between motherboards.

Mike

Grrrrrr..... you guts just wait for the TRP Challenge... :P

Or until a few more people have QX6700s, and again when the bugs are ironed out of the 680i chipset. The next few months are going to be very interesting for benchmark scores.

Mike

Or until a few more people have QX6700s, and again when the bugs are ironed out of the 680i chipset. The next few months are going to be very interesting for benchmark scores.

Mike

Oh I can hang with most of the rigs here if it was on PCMarks and 3DMarks and Crystalmark. It's just at the moment my RAM is holding me at 388 or so FSB :geezer:

So with Christmas money, Google money, and regular money I'm getting a second 7950GT KO (sc) for SLI and either The Crucial 1000 2x1gig, the Buffalo Firesticks 800 2x1gig, or the 1066 Firesticks 2x512...

Or the new RD600 DFI board due out in the next 3 weeks or so. :blink:

Oh I can hang with most of the rigs here if it was on PCMarks and 3DMarks and Crystalmark. It's just at the moment my RAM is holding me at 388 or so FSB :geezer:

So with Christmas money, Google money, and regular money I'm getting a second 7950GT KO (sc) for SLI and either The Crucial 1000 2x1gig, the Buffalo Firesticks 800 2x1gig, or the 1066 Firesticks 2x512...

What do ya mean Google money, tarawa, tell me what you have been upto :P .....

You wouldn't really go with that would ya? http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2891 It's the "first and only" part that would bother me.

Well I think I decided anyway to go with just some very good RAM. this month and get the video card next month.. Then I'll look at a new board. Maybe Rev.2 of the eVGA board. :D

What do ya mean Google money, tarawa, tell me what you have been upto :P .....

Money from Google. :) You have websites, put Google ads on it, they sent you an occasional check. :D

Money from Google. :) You have websites, put Google ads on it, they sent you an occasional check. :D

Free money, you cheepy guy lol :lol::P

j/k :mrgreen:

PIT SPRINTS

comingsoon

What's that about now, hey you gonna have us rip off ourselves by keep ugrading or what. What's wrong with you :lol::P

i need to say thank you to a few great guys in here :beer:

Caintryboy ........ thanks for the info and links very helpful :worship:

Gryph & Sho for reassuring me with the HOTFLASH

And to Rtyrie1 for pulling the bios chip out of his and letting me use it to hotflash mine back

Thank you all ........... I owe you all 1 and maby 2

if i'm ever in sth Fla i'll hook up and buy a few rounds ..... you too Caintry

hope this fixxes my cpu score but will try later ......... got 4 PC's to put back together :lol:

thanks again :rocks:

Don't owe me anything. I've been having fun here for years thanks to you and all the other members. If it weren't for everyone here I'd still be looking for the anykey.

Fantastic that you got it flashed. WOOHOO!! :tup::rocks: