Hi Hook :adios:, and :wp:

It is an account made by .NET Framework 1.1 and it is needed. PLEASE DON'T DELETE THE ACCOUNT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED :P

Actually, no it is not. It gets installed/created when you first install .Net 1.1, and then is removed when you installed the subsequent SP1 for .Net (and there is another security update after the SP, unless MS has put out a .Net rollup with all three in it).

but why it doesn't create an account again after installing .net framework 2.0?

For the same reason it gets removed after you install the SP for .Net 1.1, it isn't needed.

Here, read this,

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Can I delete it?

You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine.

By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.

And how many people do you know that do asp.net development?

Edited by stormy13
  • 2 years later...

For the same reason it gets removed after you install the SP for .Net 1.1, it isn't needed.

Here, read this,

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

And how many people do you know that do asp.net development?

Recently upgraded my machine. I know I didn’t have this ASP.NET account there before the upgrade, but I’m almost 100% sure I had all the net framework updates installed, as I always keep my updates current.

Now the ASP.NET account is there and I can see that all the framework updates are also there. BTW, I didn’t do the upgrade myself.

I think I read somewhere on the net that you have to reinstall the framework updates one at a time in order to get rid of the ASP.NET account, and I think the person who upgraded my machine may not have done that.

So your saying that it’s safe to delete this account assuming I don’t use ASP.NET, which, as far as I know, I don’t. Sounds way to advanced for anything I do.