Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

LightScribe

I posted a while back about Light Scribe now working in Linux. I got a laptop yesterdat with a Light Scribe burner, and tested it out, it works and works extremely well, and couldn't be any easier to use.

Install two files from Lacies website. Run 4L-gui, browse to the file or image you want to burn on to the disk, and click print. Then sit back and wait, it is a slow process but the disks look great :tup:

Screenshot of the Light Scribe utility

http://itsyourpc.org/bruce/files/LightScribe.jpg

Edited by Bruce

what is the name of the icon set you are using in the screenshot?

I'll install it tonight and check it out.

I like your icon set, looks perfect except for the icon of the terminal session saying c:\ !!

Thanks for posting this. My desktop has a lightscribe burner, which is currently not being used.

I'll give this a go sometime soon.

This seems odd to me.

When I attempt to download the files from LaCie's website, I got the following screen in FireFox:

screenshot

It probably thinks that its a real player media file, which is why uninstalling realplayer is always one of the first things I do after I install a distro. I've never seen mplayer pull that crap before though. I'm sure a change in file associations will fix that for you. Edited by Neo X1

It probably thinks that its a real player media file, which is why uninstalling realplayer is always one of the first things I do after I install a distro. I've never seen mplayer pull that crap before though. I'm sure a change in file associations will fix that for you.

RealPLayer was the problem.

Now just gotta figure out how to install rpm's in Ubuntu :mrgreen:

edit: think I got it...wooohooo and without begging for help!!!

Well, wouldn't you know it. I've got everything properly installed, but come to find out, no one seems to be able to get this working on Ubuntu Edgy...

I'd be curious to know what other distros this is working with, other than Suse.

Edited by bg1256

Since when did Ubuntu become a distro that uses RPMs? :huh:

I think you need to stop for a second and consider what you're doing.

Edited by Neo X1

Since when did Ubuntu become a distro that uses RPMs? :huh:

I think you need to stop for a second and consider what you're doing.

I can install rpm's through a package called alien.

I have the program installed and up and running, but it won't let me actually print the CD. There's a thread in the Ubuntu forums about this as well, so if it gets fixed, I'm sure I"ll hear about it.

But, in the meantime, maybe it's time to consider a different distribution... it seems I'm the only one around here using Gnome, let alone, Ubuntu :rolleyes:

Important! Please make sure you install the LightScribe Host Software v1.4.113.1 for Linux on top of the LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux application to have it working properly.

What do they mean "on top of"?

I put my Lightscribe burner in, have the .rpm's on my desktop and I'm going to read the manual before I try to install it . I have Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Etch" Gnome desktop see bg1256 your not the only one :adios: Its supposed to work with Ubuntu 6.06

I had the same problem with my media player trying to open the link, but I eventually figured it out with a little reading. :wacko:

EDIT:

Well I tried and had the same problems, WTH is a segmentation fault? time to read some more

Edited by Flying Caveman

Bumping update: I went out to the garage and tried it on my computer running dapper. it installed fine using alien. it recognized my drive this time. :tup: It didn't work still, but I learned a few things. For some reason It didn't install an application launcher. so after figuring out what the command to start it was "4L-gui" I started it with a terminal.

for some reason it wouldn't detect my drive unless the drive door was open. ???

The good thing about having a terminal open is that you can see whats going on. for some reason it wants to be run as root. so I "sudo 4L-gui" and it opens just the same. but it still hangs. it says its printing, but never does. it sort of gets stuck on initializing. It detects the drive but not the media some how.

I wish I could post what the terminal dialog, but its really cold out there. :tux: I am getting closer though. maybe I have to actually be logged in as root then it will work. ???

specs on this machine 3.2 Ghz P4 northwood, 1 GB RAM, Gygabyte motherboard, 6600 GT. maybe its just a flakey lightscribe drive Samsung/Toshiba brand. maybe i should have spend a few extra bucks and got the HP one. :(

I don't even feel like talking about why it wont work in windows. :pullhair:

For what it's worth, there's a thread about this on the Ubuntu forums. Several people have registered with Lacie and are awaiting a supported version for Ubuntu.

I've actually considered installing Suse on a small partition so I can burn some CD's for Christmas gifts.

Just a quick bump of this thread and a question:

For those of you who are using it, have you found it to be good quality software?

I have a lightscribe drive, but currently, Ubuntu 6.10 is not able to run this software, and it doesn't seem a solution is in sight.

I'm thinking about messing with my desktop next week after finals are over, and I may set up a new partition to test a new distribution or two.

So, for those who are using it, which distro are you using and how well do you like it?

The software does exactly what it is supposed to do. It burns images onto LightScribe disks.

Debian/Ubuntu could always use rpms, hell if I wanted to I could install yum from the repo right now. There just really isn't any point.

Btw, Alien doesn't "install" rpm's for you (that's what the rpm command is for). It just converts rpm to deb, and vice versa.