Change Mode

Cluster Computing

It would almost be easier for one to post the steps to get a downloaded ISO file to be put onto a CD.

Im sick and energy to recall what i have done into typing isnt gonna happen..lol

Rather than explain or try to explain again myself, here's some links for reading. They are from Debian's website. But, be sure to understand that the information is applicable to any Linux version and is also applicable to downloading anything on any operation system. Also, tho not mentioned at Debian, there is another commonly used program named sha1sum that does the same thing as md5sum. There are also windows versions of it. Just google sha1sum +windows.

Another thing to watch out for. FAT32 (FAT16 2GB) can't handle files larger than 4GB. So use NTFS if a file is larger than 4GB.

How can I verify that the downloaded CD images are correct?

If you use jigdo, the image checksum is automatically verified after the image has been generated. For HTTP or FTP downloads, use the md5sum utility to calculate the checksums of the files you downloaded, then compare them to the checksums in the MD5SUMS files which are distributed alongside the jigdo files of official releases. An md5sum program for Windows systems can be downloaded from our ftp server; the source code is also available.

Please do not download CD or DVD images with your web browser the way you download other files!

Edited by John 44
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I'm pretty sure his images are fine. I was talking to them on AIM for a little while; said he downloaded them a couple of times. I think the problem was that he was extracting them, and then burning the files with Sonic Record Now. The other thing he was doing was just burning the files onto the cd (I guess?).

Pointed him towards Alcohol 120% to burn the images, usually does the job for me in Windows.

John, I'm pretty sure his images are fine. I was talking to them on AIM for a little while; said he downloaded them a couple of times. I think the problem was that he was extracting them, and then burning the files with Sonic Record Now. The other thing he was doing was just burning the files onto the cd (I guess?).

Pointed him towards Alcohol 120% to burn the images, usually does the job for me in Windows.

There's also a free "power toy" for win that'll burn the isos and verfiy. I forget where, but I've used it and it works well.

Welcome to the ISO Recorder download page

Edit; I should add to clairfy. That or any other burning program having the abilty can verify that the resulting cd/dvd is the same as the iso file. But that does NOT prove that the iso file is good in the first place. Use md5sum, etc. for that before you burn.

Edited by John 44

Here's that article or I referred to about ordinary hardware and good performance on small cluster.

The ‘Linux Cluster Supercomputer’

It's a pdf file from the Department of Computer Science and Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, R.V.C.E. in India.

My plans are on hold though because I managed to trash a P4 taking it out of the old board it was in. It was stuck to the HSF like it was welded. Even though I preheated the HSF with a hair drier, the P4 came out of its socket with the HSF and bent so many pins that's it's useless.

I have fixed such a situation before with long tedious work with a magnifying glass and a needle as an extremely gentle crowbar. But I can no longer see well enough to do it now. My son may be here at Christmas and he's good with stuff like that. So, I may just wait or go to plan B. :lol:

edit; 'are on hold' not 'are are hold'

Edited by John 44