Cluster Computing

You probably won't even notice the extra computers unless you're running batch jobs. For everyday tasks I doubt you'll notice a speedup.

Maybe good for folding :P

A cluster within a supercluster.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, same principle as folding.

A packet of unprocessed data is sent over a LAN to any one of a number of computers which then processes the data and sends it back.

The point being made is that if it is a small task it will be just as quick for one CPU to do it as it will take longer for it to be sent over the lan.

SO basically, very large tasks would be the only beneficiaries (Eg: a [email protected]/[email protected] work unit)

BTW: Nice avatar, I didn't recognise you!

I read a paper last year about a very efficient small compute cluster on entirely ordinary hardware that came close to 100% performance on even relatively short computations. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

By 100% performance, I mean that 2 nodes do the just in 1/2 the time that 1 node does; 3 nodes 1/3, etc.

But in that particular case, the hardware setup, the cluster software, and the compute software were specifically for the task at hand in a coordinated effort of software and hardware engineers.

Well, I'm still looking. It might make a liar out me if I find it, but no, just plain old 10/100 NICs. However, I'll say again. Both the cluster and compute software were written for the exact task at hand. And, although the hardware itself was ordinary, its specific configuration was also designed precisely for the software it would be running.

I seriously doubt that one can find general cluster software that could match that kind of performance in small tasks. One would probably need to hire someone to write it.

so it can be 2000 machines working for one single machine, like some sort of network server :huh:

Think of it this way. Take all 2000 processors and memory out of those 2000 machines. Build a new motherboard with 2000 cpu sockets and whole bunch of memory slots. Make sure that new mobo has enough superconducting supercooled busses with bandwidth to make use of all that.

What do you now have? A "supercomputre".

That's one thing clustering ordinary machines can do on the cheap.

so theroretictly it will run software or any application simultaneously as a collective?

if so thats amazing :huh:

Yes, many computers acting as one. Sharing the workload

The problem in realistic use is say you had a task which need 1hz of processing for one second to complete.

Then one normal computer could do it in a fraction of a second, an imeasurably small amount of time, for the example we will say 0.0001 seconds!

However, if it were a two computer cluster cluster 0.5hz/one second of the task would be sent to the other computer, processed there, sent back and interpreted by the first computer.

This might take 0.3 seconds.

If it were huge amounts of data then it would be enough to justify that time it takes to traverse the cluster.

Geddit?

Edited by tito

so theroretictly it will run software or any application simultaneously as a collective?

if so thats amazing :huh:

Yes, that's it's design goal when setup and used for computing as opposed to say file serving.

But if you fire up that beast and check your email, chat with your buddies, and hang out at the pit, you might think you were on a P1/75 MHz/16MB ram machine. :lol:

That is my case as well... but i type better than I talk :P

Well i scored one machine- old p2. And im gonna get the linux on that tonight and play around.

Im going to have 4 nodes and one master- my larger HP machine.

Mainly im just gonna let it run seti AND [email protected] when im done. This is a learning experiment. It'll let me learn some things about linux and possiblity of customizing linux once i learn enough. :D

This is a learning experiment. It'll let me learn some things about linux and possiblity of customizing linux once i learn enough. :D

A good idea, just don't expect much production for a while.

Projects to learn new skills are always a good idea in linux.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I have a couple of identical 2.6 GHz socket 478 P4's in dead mobos. I'm looking at a couple of cheap boards, ~$50/each at Newegg and may buy them.

I've been meaning to build a couple of inexpensive boxes anyway. So after playing with a cluster for awhile, they'll make nice cheap individual machines.

Well, several possible reasons . Your downloaded isos are no good, aka, "a bad download." Or, you didn't burn them "as an image" of a cd; you may have burned them as a large file ON the cd. Could be hardware/BIOS boot issues?