Sign in to follow this  
mattrmiller

PC Safety Survey Results & More Safety Tips

I never use my laptop battery 'cos its knackered :thud: and won't work for more than about 2 minutes. So i thought as it is a Li ion i would take it out. problem is my machine is an IBM 600X and the battery is part of the base of the computer, taking it out leaves a gaping hole. Apart from duct tape, any ideas?

Btw mobile phones use Li ion batteries are they dangerous too?

Edited by Rowan

Hi Rowan,

I pulled the battery out of both of mine, and they leave a visible hole. The manufacturers never anticipated this issue, and so it is a flaw in their designs. In the meantime, I just leave the batteries out since I am not using them anyhow.

If you look carefully at our video,

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcsafety/video.asp

you will see on the right an extra notebook battery which also exploded, and on the left there is a mobile phone bsttery. It did not explode, despite the incredible termperatures. Cellular batteries have signficantly less risk of exploding because they are smaller. Furthermore, if they did explode, the fire would be much smaller because of the battery is smaller. The risk is in notebook batteries.

The one thing that I learned from this exercise is that if you have a spare battery near an exploding notebook get the spare battery away from the notebook because it will certainly make the fire worse as it heats up.