Sign in to follow this  
Neo X1

Microsoft to Announce Linux Partnership

"Microsoft is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell that gives a boost to Linux, people familiar with the companies tell WSJ.com. From the article: 'Under the pact, which isn't final, Microsoft will offer sales support of Suse Linux, a version of the operating system sold by Novell. The two companies have also agreed to develop technologies to make it easier for users to run both Suse Linux and Microsoft's Windows on their computers. The two companies are expected to announce details of their plan today at a press conference in San Francisco. In addition, Microsoft won't assert rights over patents over software technology that may be incorporated into Suse Linux, the people said. Businesses that use Linux have long worried that Microsoft would one day file patent infringement suits against sellers of the rival software.'"

Original Slashdot page http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/11/02/1957252.shtml

What do they mean make it easier to run both? Grub and lilo work fine, it's the Windows bootloader that is selfish, and it's definitely not from lack of technical know-how, Microsoft just doesn't want other OS's booting.

Not to mention there is no reason to worry. Linux is an idea, you can't kill an idea.

Microsoft just doesn't want other OS's booting.

Where did you get that idea? I'm not anymore but I have been dual booting windows/linux for multiple years, and most times from the windows Bootloader.

Not being able to, and users not having the knowledge are 2 different things.

Glussier, did you even read my post?

Not being able to and incompetent users are 2 different things.

Grub and lilo work fine, it's the Windows bootloader that is selfish, and it's definitely not from lack of technical know-how,

Where did you get that idea? I'm not anymore but I have been dual booting windows/linux for multiple years, and most times from the windows Bootloader.

Did I once say it wasn't possible? I said Microsoft does not want other OS's booting. They can't enforce it, that would scream monopoly. But they sure as hell can make it hard to do.

If they were happy and cheery about home users dual booting Linux and Windows, installing Windows wouldn't overwrite the MBR. Ever try to install Windows on a separate partition on a Linux machine? It renders Linux unbootable. You have to boot into Linux with a floppy disk and reinstall Grub or Lilo. Installing Linux on a Windows machine however... Grub/Lilo autodetect the Windows installation, and add an entry to the bootloader for it. Both Linux and Windows will then boot happily.

The deal between Microsoft and Novell is that Microsoft will let Suse work flawlessly in their vm. Linux already runs in Microsoft vm, however Microsoft doesn't provide additions (special drivers) for linux in their vm. By providing these additions, Suse might be the fastest running linux distribution when run in a Microsoft Virtual Machine.

The deal between Microsoft and Novell is that Microsoft will let Suse work flawlessly in their vm. Linux already runs in Microsoft vm, however Microsoft doesn't provide additions (special drivers) for linux in their vm. By providing these additions, Suse might be the fastest running linux distribution when run in a Microsoft Virtual Machine.

That's not mentioned in the article? In fact, virtual machines are not mentioned once in the link he posted... Do you have a source or is this just what you think?

If what you say is true, well, it's nothing worthwhile. Why use Microsoft Virtual PC and only be able to run one distro of linux when you could use VMware and run pretty much anything?

Edit: Special drivers? Microsoft is going to write drivers for the linux kernel? Then we would end up with either...

1) Binary drivers, no source code, Microsoft can pull the plug at any time.

or

2) Open source drivers, anyone can patch their kernel with them. Suse wouldn't be the "fastest running distro" in a MVM.

Edited by xXenXx

That's not mentioned in the article? In fact, virtual machines are not mentioned once in the link he posted... Do you have a source or is this just what you think?

I read something about that sometime today.

In case you don't know, for about 10 years Microsoft was the biggest sellers of *nix systems Xenix.

In case you don't know, for about 10 years Microsoft was the biggest sellers of *nix systems Xenix.

I'm well aware, What does that have to do with anything?

Well, what I get from that is that is short on detail but reasonably clear in general. Users of SLES and SLED can expect "single button click me" type setups/conectivity/security/compatibility in mixed networks.

Yet individual opensource not-for-profit developers need not fear BIG BAD M$ to get after them for using presumably code from M$ that results from this new deal and maybe some earlier code as well.

Near the end, there was a hint that there may be better OpenOffice/M$ Office compatability,..not sure tho. Balmer seemed to say they weren't quite there yet.

Not sure what impact this will have on individual users like most of us. Just have to wait and see.

A large part of what was presented was about Microsoft not having to file suits over patent rights on software.

My read is--- Microsoft just saved themselves a bunch of money on legal fees over suits they felt they couldn't win. They agreed to remove the lawyers from the cost of bad software.

Open office has replaced M/S office as office feature of customers choice. When I was still at GM, the EDS people had fits over the expanding use of Openoffice on company computers.

Just a viewpoint.. :rolleyes:

Suse might be the fastest running linux distribution when run in a Microsoft Virtual Machine.

How would running Suse in a Windows VM make it any faster, or better for that matter?

Now i am running xp in vmware but i don't really see a point in running anything Linux in

any kind of a windows app. To me that just defeats the whole reason for running Suse in

the first place, which was to have something secure and stable i could work with, learn from

and not have to worry about who cared.

Well, both Microsoft and Novell are corporations whose objective is to make money. Nothing wrong with that. As long as M$ felt its bottom line was best served by snubbing Linux, then that's what they did. Big surprise. Now they feel otherwise in this limited case. End of story imo.

I barely know the difference between MS Office and Open Office. But several years ago one of my kids needed some help in college with calculus/physics. I said fine, email me some of the problems and I'll see what I can do. He said, no, it's all on the internet. Long story short; the much hyped compatibility of OO MO failed miserably when combined with different browsers etc; and I had to blow $350 for an OEM M$ Office license.

If whatever this agreement means it will solve such situations at least with SUSE, then sounds darn good to me.

How would running Suse in a Windows VM make it any faster, or better for that matter?

Now i am running xp in vmware but i don't really see a point in running anything Linux in

any kind of a windows app. To me that just defeats the whole reason for running Suse in

the first place, which was to have something secure and stable i could work with, learn from

and not have to worry about who cared.

I don't think guys like us are what this is all about. It's about large business, educational, and scientific distributed computing server/systems. VM technology plays a part in that. Edited by John 44

A link from linux-today.

Update

It seems to think non-commercial includes only those who use their computer purely for a hobby, and don't for example shop online.

Also claims something about Novell replacing ODT for a microsoft controlled standard, this is out of the blue.

lol, a quote from Microsoft

Novell anticipates that the agreement will increase demand for SUSE Linux Enterprise, although it are not putting out any formal estimates

I don't think guys like us are what this is all about. It's about large business, educational, and scientific distributed computing server/systems. VM technology plays a part in that.

That's ok someday the whole world will come to it's senses and run on Linux :geezer::rofl2:

I don't think guys like us are what this is all about. It's about large business, educational, and scientific distributed computing server/systems. VM technology plays a part in that.

Hits nail on the head, then hits a grand slam.

John is absolutely correct, this is about bug business, The stats say that Linux has penetrated 25% of the businesses out there, and that is only the purchases they can count, I am sure the numbers are much much higher. Microsoft knows this, and they know if they don't start playing nice in mixed environments, then that number is likely to increase and in the future rather then just trying to play nice they would be finding their share decreasing even more.

They approached RedHat last year, RedHat left Redmond and would not comment on the discussions, nor would Microsoft. Looks to me like Microsoft was looking for someone to play nice with and when the number one Linux distribution said no, they approached number two.

After loosing 560+million dollars in the European courts to Novell, and facing a similar outcome to the US case it is only logical to approach Novell saying "Can't we all just get along" :lol:

Because of past dealings and and bad experiences in doing business with MS I am very sure Novell will be cautious and on guard ;)

How many companies have actually benefited from an alliance with Microsoft? Maybe Novell will be the first.....I doubt it though.