Some Sites Yes, Some Sites No ...

Guest jtormey

Guest jtormey

You guys all sound smarter than me so this must be the right place to ask for help. Here's my problem:

1. I can go to many, but not all, web sites using IExplorer on Windows XP. Some just time-out on me, like www.continental.com and www.mcafee.com. Can't even ping them. (And now I've lost my online virus protection.)

2. On www.boston.com (my hometown rag) the navigation links work, but links to the stories don't.

3. ISP says the connection is solid and my wife, sharing the same router on her MAC, can reach all the sites I can't (much to her delight).

4. Every 24 hours, to the second, I lose my internet connection and the only solution is to reboot.

5. I downloaded Netscape Navigator 7.0 and have all the same problems using it.

I'm in way over my head here but I figure it must be something about the way XP is handling my cable connection, right? If anyone would like to spend a few minutes pointing me in the right direction I would very muchly appreciate it.

First, about you loosing your connection every 24 hrs. It seems like your router (or the computer) is not renewing the IP lease properly. The router usually has a bult in DHCP, which obtains an IP and other info from your ISP, keeps it for a certain time, releases it and then renews it. You might want to check your router settings for that.

About you not being able to go to some sites. Have you tried browsing without the router? Also, if you have any firewall, such as Internet Connection Firewall, then disable it.

Also, navigate to the following folder on your pc:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Find a file called Hosts, note that it doesnt have any extension. Back it up first by copying it to another folder such as My Documents. Then open it up, delete everything in it and Save it.

See if that helps.

Guest jtormey

Bingo! Oh deific one, aeroman10, thou has saved my sanity. It was "hosts" which had been commandeered by something known as Tweakmaster, an onboard DNS accellerator which I thought I had abandoned years ago. Once I (backed up and) deleted everything in "hosts" my site access problems were gone. Thank you so much!

I also revisited my DHCP settings on the router and hopefully solved that problem. Will know for sure within 24 hours. Thank you again.

Guest gleasondl

For Aeroman10

I am having the same issue. Some pages download fine, so default. DSL speeds are fine 1250/176. I went to the WINNT/systems32/drivers/etc. and opened the "hosts" file with Notepad. Lists "examples" which have the #next to them and on the bottom it shows

127.0.0.1 local host

This doesn't have the #, so I am assuming this is the host file???

Or am I doing something wrong to open the file???

I sure don't see a listing of a group of "hosts"

I also opened the IMhosts folder, but it looked to just be examples.

These both look to be instructions and not files controlling something.'

Feel a little dumb here, but it looked like you solved the problem before and I am just trying to work through this.

Thanks for any response

If you only see examples in your Hosts file than that just means that there are no entries in there, so your problem must be with something else.

LMHosts would have nothing to do with web browsing since its only used for diff. computers to communicate and connect to each other on a local network.

What version of windows do you have and what browser do you use?

Guest gleasondl

Areoman...

Running Windows 2000Pro svcpack3

Internet Explorer 6.0 updated last week

I have check to see if it is any different with the Yahoo browser supplied by SBC Yahoo DSL, but same problem shows up.

It is just damned inconsistent...somedays everything just loads up fine and other days things just default....I have emptied the cookie and temp files to see if this would help.. Nope.

I do remember there is somewhere in one of the programs, I think IE6 where you can actually set the amount of time allowed before the program defaults on a download, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it.

I'll just keep screwing with things and see if I can't figure it out. There has got to be some solution.