Sign in to follow this  
someguyouknoe

Whats so bad about ktorrent?

I mentioned using Ktorrent in one forum and it was as if i sinned or something. Siting it as buggy trash, talking about mainly protocol implementation bugs. Stating that by using it, I am hurting others trying to download. Providing these links Link1 and Link2

Anyone else have problems with it?

It is definitely the worst bittorrent client I've ever used. Sub 10kb/s speeds for the most part, not connecting to as many people as it should. I'll see if I can get Daddymac to post his experiences with it too.

I dont know if its a problem with my PC personally (which it may be), but kTorrent is just terrible for me.

ive tried to download files with 500+ seeds and less leechers, yet after a significant amount of time, the download speeds never rise above 20kb/s, and less than 10 seeders are connected to. Just the other day, I tried to download an episode of Lost S3 that i missed on tv, with 1500+ seeders. It initially connected to about 8 seeders, and they gradually dropped out one by one...leaving me with a dead transfer within an hour. Ive tried multiple torrents from multiple torrent search engines, and multiple types of torrents, and I have yet to find anything that works well with kTorrent.

I also havent had much luck with Azureus' linux port...that would just constantly crash on me.

I dont know if its a problem with my network hookup (its worked fine for years using Windows), but torrents just dont like me anymore...

I dont know much about bittorent but maybe its a tracker problem :shrug:

so far, its worked fine in that regard. I get decent speeds usually about 70-100. popular torrents usually blaze through.

I don't really see a difference in any of them.

I like the way Azureus is setup however.

hmm, opera :blink:

i will try that

the 686 rpm seems to do justice for bittornado ;)

Edited by duanester

bittornado seems to be flawless, setting up file association and opening ports is a breeze, you can also disable the firewall for sites that are most trusted.

bittornado is small and there are few features like controlling up and down speeds including unselecting unwanted stuff, other then that its all basic

I wasnt a fan of the opera bittorent. Doesnt seem to have many options unless i missed something. so i disabled it.

your right, it has no options..its just quick and easy, i can click on a torrent file without downloading it first or having to use yet another 3rd party software in my already over cluttered OS

Bittorrnado is nice, but when you're downloading multiple torrents, using a centralized client like Azureus is nice.

Bittorrnado is certainly a lot lighter on resources though, no java haha.

Bittorrnado is nice, but when you're downloading multiple torrents, using a centralized client like Azureus is nice.

Bittorrnado is certainly a lot lighter on resources though, no java haha.

Is there a way to switch all currently downloading torrents over to bittornado without having the .torrent file?

the download will start all over, that file may have alot to do with remembering your ratio and so on

your up speeds may be set to max, the isp's dont say it but upload speeds are most important, if your up speed maxes out at 400kbps you will only be able to use 45kbps of it when maxed out, reducing to say 20kbps will allow the other 25 for loading web pages, to send and recieve

How do you actually use BitTornado?

I just installed it via SMART (SuSE 10.1), and BitTornado and its dependencies installed fine, yet its not listed in my KMenu, and I can't figure out how to actually get it to download anything o_O.

not sure if this is right for you but i start torrent by clicking button bottom left screen then moving pointer up to internet then across and clicking on data transfer....very new to linux 7 days so :lol: so might not be right for you. :beer:

not sure if this is right for you but i start torrent by clicking button bottom left screen then moving pointer up to internet then across and clicking on data transfer....very new to linux 7 days so :lol: so might not be right for you. :beer:

haha congrats! Hope you're enjoying it so far :beer:

I also expected it to be there, in Internet > Data Exchange, where kTorrent is listed for me, but BitTornado isnt there...

its giving me lots of headaches so far. :rofl2: but yes i like it. sorry no help. whats wrong with using ktorrent?? don't they all use the same torrent sources??

just noticed when i started ktorrent theres a place on the right where it says search engine. maybe you will find bittornado there and maybe change to it...just guess work. :lol:

How do you actually use BitTornado?

I just installed it via SMART (SuSE 10.1), and BitTornado and its dependencies installed fine, yet its not listed in my KMenu, and I can't figure out how to actually get it to download anything o_O.

so its installed but doesnt have an entry in Kmenu? have you tried to open it via run command or konsole?

dadymac, did you compile from source or use an rpm?

what distro ? also what rpm if any :)