Change Mode

Send Outlook to System Tray

This modification will send Microsoft Outlook (if you use it) to the system tray instead of the taskbar when you click on the minimize button. This helps to keep your taskbar neat, especially if you have alot of other items open. Outlook still continues to work in the background and will notify when new email comes in. To reopen it, just double click on the Outlook icon in the system tray.

----

Send Outlook to System Tray when minimizing the window instead of keeping it in the taskbar, therefore saving space.

Purpose: Send Outlook to system tray when you click the minimize button. This will save space in your task bar and reduce the amount of windows you have opened but at the same time keep Outlook running in the background.

Procedure:

1. Open up your registry editor by going to Start > Run > regedit > OK

2. Navigate to the following location in your registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences

Note: Depending on your version of MS Office you may not see 10.0 as part of the key - it may be 11.0, 9.0, etc...In some cases you may see multiple versions - usually if you select the wrong one it will either be empty or will not contain the key you are looking for.

9.0 -- MS Office 2000

10.0 -- MS Office 2002

11.0 -- MS Office 2003

3. Right click anywhere in the right pane, select New > DWORD Value > type MinToTray > press Enter

4. Double click on MinToTray and in the Value Data field, type in 1 and click OK

5. Exit the registry editor. If Outlook was opened while making these changes, please close it and restart it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

----

Source: My site - see sig

Edited by aeroman10

OMG thats the coolest! I have been wanting something like this FOREVER.

FYI Office 2007 users its HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Outlook\Preferences

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

I now love my windows again.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Fantastic. I've been looking for a way to do this for some time now.

It completely works with Vista Home Premium; the folder "12" is present instead of "10" in the folder tree.

Thank you very much aeroman10, very much appreciated!

if you have problems with outlook it can start in safe mode as well

start/run/ outlook /safe /click ok

not sure if it works with vista though

very good tip aeroman10 :clap:

Edited by mme