My CPU become fully loaded even in idle!

Hye..i hope anyone coud help me fix my pc.I got a problem where my system sometimes become sluggish and when i check in cpu usage(task manager) it show 100% usage even it is idle at that time..I have checked with PC pitstop utility.. n this is the result.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=H8DSFWX9AHWSGULC

I hope anyone could help me with this problem because its so annoying to have this problem.

TQ!

Hye..i hope anyone coud help me fix my pc.I got a problem where my system sometimes become sluggish and when i check in cpu usage(task manager) it show 100% usage even it is idle at that time..I have checked with PC pitstop utility.. n this is the result.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=H8DSFWX9AHWSGULC

I hope anyone could help me with this problem because its so annoying to have this problem.

TQ!

I have had this problem when there was a virus on my computer. Firstly though did you correct the problems your pc check from Pitstop showed? If you go to cnet.com download section and search for a program called system mechanic you can download a 30 day free trial of the program and it has many many tools to help you fix whatever problem and is very user friendly. hope this helped

I'm using Tuneup Utilities 2004 for fixing all kind of errors including registry..But since u said bout virus..mayb i give a scan on my pc since i dont have any antivirus installed..

Sorry to say, you should ALWAYS have anti virus installed! :nono: well here, try a few free online ones> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan and>> http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp get a av ASAP ON your pc some are FREE to download> http://www.free-av.com/ http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 hope this helps.... Edited by Wademan

Find and install Process Explorer from sysinternals (Google) and see what it says your cpu

usage is. It also shows the processes running and the cpu usage by each.....it will not

fix the problem but it will point you in the right direction and tell you what is hogging

the cpu......gadget57

mistralmudd,

Great to hear you did a Virus check and your system came clean, that's a good first step. Your next step will be to download and run both Ad-Aware and SpyBot - Search and Destroy. These two handy utilities will remove any spyware/adware that might be affecting your system.

Let me know if this helps.

Travis

i have download both softwares n update it..I also use the Process explorer.Now my cpu is not 100% usage when in idle.but i cant open more than one program..It will go to 100% drastically if i open more than 2 programs..

i have download both softwares n update it..I also use the Process explorer.Now my cpu is not 100% usage when in idle.but i cant open more than one program..It will go to 100% drastically if i open more than 2 programs..

Open task manager and view the processes tab, sort by memory useage and find out which programs/processes are using up all your memory!

ok i have sorted out the memory usage n this is the list.

svchost.exe 35,000K

explorer.exe 21,680K

IEXPLORE.EXE 13,572K

mmc.exe 13,308K

wuauclt.exe 12,272K

got 28 processes running rite now n cpu usage :0- 20% (doing defragment rite now)..However,if i open up a game or just a flash game which i know wont consume too much cpu power,it drastically raise to 100%.Is it also connected to the hardware faulty rather than all this processes? Maybe a shortage of power or faulty processor?Any opinion?

If you are sure your system is virus-free and clear of spyware/adware, the next step you would take is to check your startup list. Select Start-->Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Click the Startup tab, uncheck suspicious options one at a time, and reboot until the problem stops. For reference if you are unsure of a questionable item, a quick Google search using the executable name should give you some relevant information.

Hope this helps,

Travis

i have done unchecking any un-needed startup which make my sytem go into selective startup..but the problem still occur..however, it will only occure when i open one or two program..

btw...could a faulty processor or hardware malfunction become the cause of this?or mayb lack of power supplied?

When I ran Process Explorer it showed that idle process was over 90% but other programs

running less than 10 or 5 %. Here are two posts I found on the internet that referred to idle

process.

The system idle process is what is refered to as a sentinal process. It basically gives the CPU something to do when it does not have any other processes scheduled (this allows nicer code in the scheduler, since it does not have to have special cases when there are no runable/ready processes). Also, this process can be useful from an OS cleanup point of view (looks for deadlocks, etc.)

It runs at the lowest priority, and so will get cycles when nothing else is requesting CPU attention. So if you are not doing anything, then it is perfectly normal for it to have high CPU usage.

Laurence Hartje

My Windows System Idle Process is high

Question:

My Windows System Idle Process is high.

Additional information:

When a user opens the Windows Task Manager they may notice that the System Idle Process is high and be concerned about all their system resources being taken up.

Answer:

When a computer is Idle it will have a high System Idle process under the CPU, often in the 90's. This is completely normal for a computer as it waits for something to do. If you leave the Task Manager open and run a program, you will notice that the System Idle process decreases its CPU usage.

from Computer Hope.com

Hope it helps......gadget57

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals.com and run it. It should show all the

processes running and the cpu%. When I ran it on mine, it showed that a process called

"idle process" was running in the high 90's%. Here are 2 posts I found on the internet

concerning the idle process......

The system idle process is what is refered to as a sentinal process. It basically gives the CPU something to do when it does not have any other processes scheduled (this allows nicer code in the scheduler, since it does not have to have special cases when there are no runable/ready processes). Also, this process can be useful from an OS cleanup point of view (looks for deadlocks, etc.)

It runs at the lowest priority, and so will get cycles when nothing else is requesting CPU attention. So if you are not doing anything, then it is perfectly normal for it to have high CPU usage.

Laurence Hartje

My Windows System Idle Process is high

Question:

My Windows System Idle Process is high.

Additional information:

When a user opens the Windows Task Manager they may notice that the System Idle Process is high and be concerned about all their system resources being taken up.

Answer:

When a computer is Idle it will have a high System Idle process under the CPU, often in the 90's. This is completely normal for a computer as it waits for something to do. If you leave the Task Manager open and run a program, you will notice that the System Idle process decreases its CPU usage.

from Computer Hope.com

Hope this helps.......

mistralmudd,

I see that your PC Pitstop Test shows the following item that can be disabled to improve your computer performance:

Description

NVIDIA driver helper

Recommendation

Usually should be disabled.

To get control over your running programs we suggest WinTasks 5 Pro

More Information

A Windows NT/2000/XP service installed by later versions of NVIDIA video drivers, but appears to have no useful function. Some users have experienced problems with this service running, and it consumes nearly a megabyte of memory. You may want to try changing this service's startup type to Manual in Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.

Try doing this and any other recommendations in the test results and see if any of that helps.

After that, go to http://safety.live.com and do a Full Service Scan. It will detect and correct a lot of issues that other utilities might not, especially with registry entries. You have to use IE to perform this scan.

Finally, check your Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Event Viewer for any current warning or error messages in Application and System sections. Post what you find here.

I look forward to your response,

T