Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

SuSE 10.1 remastered and XEN

Downloaded the Remastered DVD last week, but haven't done anything with it yet. So I decided to install it on my test computer, to see exactly what has been changed/updated/fixed, but also so I could finally test XEN.

After using so many different virtual machines, and emulators over the years I decided to finally give what is being touted as one of the best in the industry a try.

I am sure setting it up initially will be a hair pulling learning experience, and hopefully it will work as well as folks claim it does.

Edited by Bruce

Bummer, the DVD doesn't pass the integrity check, re-downloading it now.

Remastered? They went back and fixed the blaring inadequecies in the OS? :huh:

There were no blaring inadequacies in the OS. There were some bugs in the zmd software "updater" but other then that the OS is rock stable, fast, and better then any other release.

They also have all the updates through Oct 9, 2006.

NB : Since Oct 13, The SUSE Team have remastered the SUSE Linux 10.1 ISO images.

This new release combines the 10.1 GM and all online updates that we have released for 10.1 so far (until Oct 9), including libzypp, which should make the installing and working experience much smoother for everyone.

http://en.opensuse.org/Download

Getting the cd's now going to give it a test run through vmware

Well I haven't had a chance to play with XEN yet, but the remastered DVD is very nice, after the install there were 11 updates and thats it, those were the ones just released in the past week or so.

Getting the cd's now going to give it a test run through vmware

Bear see my post here.

You can do it with cdrom iso's too, it'll save you a lot of cdrs.

Bear see my post here.

You can do it with cdrom iso's too, it'll save you a lot of cdrs.

I read it :)

well i d/l the disc tried to install it through vmware then i figured what the heck formated and tried to install it right to the hard drive it never read so i had to re-install 9.2 and vmware.

I think i should check the disk what is a good for checking the check sum of my disk against those from the download link ?

md5sum and sha1sum programs are installed in suse by default. For suse isos, read the md5sum or MD5SUMS, whatever it may be named, in your browser or a test editor.

For example, for the suse 10.2 alpha 4 isos, the 1st cd's md5sum is posted as this:

1ce1d5963a18ec0cb2c8bfb450077e70 openSUSE-10.2-Alpha4-i386-CD1.iso

You can copy that into a text file. Name the file (save as) whatever you want; I'm in the habbit of naming it md5.txt.

Be sure there are no extra spaces before or after the above and there are exactly 2 spaces between the md5sum and the filename for each cd's entry. Then just save that text file to the same directory where the downloaded iso(s) is(are).

Then, to check the md5sum(s), just open a terminal in that directory, you may have to change to root first (su, enter, root's password, enter), then run:

md5sum -c md5.txt

It will run a while then if all is well, it will output:

openSUSE-10.2-Alpha4-i386-CD1.iso: OK

Saves a lot of squinting that way compared to manually running md5sum (md5sum openSUSE-10.2-Alpha4-i386-CD1.iso) and comparing it to the posted md5sum.

edit; for sha1sums like are used for Fedora, you have to do it all manually or find/download a utility ( EDIT: no you don't. I mistakingly was thinking of a windows sha1sum.exe program I use for which that is true. But it's not correct for most recent versions of Linux. See my "Checking sha1sums and md5sums automatically, in Linux" thread]. There are some, but you don't need anything extra for suse isos cause suse uses md5sums.

sha1sum whatever.iso

Then see if it's the same as the sha1sum that's posted.

Edited by John 44

For suse cds that you already burned, YaST>Software>Media Check, or something close to that in 9.2.

Reiserfs is still the default. But that's no problem. Just click on the partition, then edit, and change it to ext3. You might have to click the "expert" tab, but you can pick any of several supported filesystems.

Reiserfs is still the default. But that's no problem. Just click on the partition, then edit, and change it to ext3. You might have to click the "expert" tab, but you can pick any of several supported filesystems.

why do you wish to change t?

is it because of what happened to reiser, or you got the fsck error :huh:

why do you wish to change t?

is it because of what happened to reiser, or you got the fsck error :huh:

i changed to ext3 because bruce recommended it.

.....do you need a better reason then that? :blink:

i am dang close to getting xen to work

the most important part of xen(Xen Virtualization: Hypervisor (aka VMM aka Microkernel)

The Linux kernel ported to xen. Xen requires kernels to be ported (paravirtualization). So, to use xen, you need this kernel. 
It can be run both as domain0 ("xen0") and as unprivileged ("xenU") kernel.

The Linux kernel ported to xen. This package contains some extra modules for the xen linux kernel that are not under the GPL.

xen - Xen Virtualization: Hypervisor (aka VMM aka Microkernel)

xen-devel - Xen Virtualization: headers and libraries for development
Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86 that supports execution of multiple guest operating systems with unprecedented levels of performance and resource isolation.

xengine - Reciprocating engine for X
Xengine displays a reciprocating engine in a window and is a benchmark for X.

xen-tools - Xen Virtualization: Control tools for dom0
Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86 that supports execution of multiple guest operating systems with unprecedented levels of performance and resource isolation. This package contains the control tools that allow you to start, stop, migrate, ... virtual machines.

xen-tools-ioemu - Xen Virtualization: BIOS and device emulation for unmodified guests
Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86 that supports execution of multiple guest operating systems with unprecedented levels of performance and resource isolation. This package contains the needed BIOS and device emulation code to support unmodified guests. (You need virtualization support in hardware to make use of this.)

what else do i need :pullhair:

hey guys, asked because i was curious weither or not oldgardner got the same error i got :)

I haven't started yet, but I will be using 32 bit i386 Suse 10.1 remastered from the dvd when I get to it.

I was just making a list of all the things I need to do during installation.

B)