Sign in to follow this  
Neo X1

Linux Gaming Experiences

Gaming is one of the biggest things I hear people complain about when it comes to Linux as a desktop OS, but from my experience, the situation is nowhere near as grim as it's made out to be. So I'm curious what kind of gaming, if any, you guys do on your linux boxes including the games you play, if you used a compatibility layer or a game installer (like loki makes), and how difficult it was for you to get it installed/running.

I'll start....

Considering Suse (10.0) is the only OS I have installed, I had to make sure I got my gaming situation settled.

I started with UT2k4, which is a native linux game and found that it actually gave a higher framerate than it did in Windows. I was downright amazed by that game's performance. I also installed Doom3, another native Linux game, which worked, but didn't have sound for me. I tried a number of different things, but nothing seemed to work. I played the game anyway, and everything else seemed great, but that sound issue really kills the atmosphere. Both games had similar, not-so-user friendly install methods.

Not satisfied with the small number of games I had, I broke down and got Cedega. I've gotten Age of Empires 2, Knights Of The Old Republic, and Starcraft installed with that, and I'm pleasently surprised by how good the program is. Starcraft had some oddness (played though, even had a lan game with my roomies), but the other two were great. Knights of the Old Republic was actually a game I had known to sometimes crash when I played it on Windows, but I played the game from beginning to end in Linux with Cedega and it only failed on me once.

So now I'm looking for more games that work well and to know which games to avoid, based on others experiences. I'm especially interested in the loki installers as I haven't tried one yet.

Edited by Neo X1

ive tried numerous times getting joint operations to work, finnally i did, updating the game ruined what i'd accomplished, with that said ive beenkeeping my eyes on loki trackers.

if i can just get around the updating part of it, i was thinking just to remake joint ops by adding the updates to the remake, i havnt tried it yet, im at the part when i just need to create it

so maby if thats an issue youve had, it may not be one anymore

Gaming is one of the biggest things I hear people complain about when it comes to Linux as a desktop OS, but from my experience, the situation is nowhere near as grim as it's made out to be. So I'm curious what kind of gaming, if any, you guys do on your linux boxes including the games you play, if you used a compatibility layer or a game installer (like loki makes), and how difficult it was for you to get it installed/running.

I'll start....

Considering Suse (10.0) is the only OS I have installed, I had to make sure I got my gaming situation settled.

I started with UT2k4, which is a native linux game and found that it actually gave a higher framerate than it did in Windows. I was downright amazed by that game's performance. I also installed Doom3, another native Linux game, which worked, but didn't have sound for me. I tried a number of different things, but nothing seemed to work. I played the game anyway, and everything else seemed great, but that sound issue really kills the atmosphere. Both games had similar, not-so-user friendly install methods.

Not satisfied with the small number of games I had, I broke down and got Cedega. I've gotten Age of Empires 2, Knights Of The Old Republic, and Starcraft installed with that, and I'm pleasently surprised by how good the program is. Starcraft had some oddness (played though, even had a lan game with my roomies), but the other two were great. Knights of the Old Republic was actually a game I had known to sometimes crash when I played it on Windows, but I played the game from beginning to end in Linux with Cedega and it only failed on me once.

So now I'm looking for more games that work well and to know which games to avoid, based on others experiences. I'm especially interested in the loki installers as I haven't tried one yet.

The update for Doom 3 will fix your sound issues.

man, i play the :filtered: out of some games in Linux!

I use KXMame to play arcade game roms. I love the King of Fighters series!

Posted Image

Also, my kids love SuperTux.

I just finished Max Payne 2.

Got Neverwinter Nights, works great! Even has a native Linux installer.

Not big on first person shooters, so i'm always on the lookout for some good linux games.

You guys should check out Cold War! Its a stealth/action game in the vein of metal gear solid and Splinter Cell.

-myk

Edited by psicon

I am not really a computer gamer but i play the games already available in the repos.

games like Neverball, ktron, Battle for Wesnoth, etc.

nothing too exciting.

If i can get Guild Wars working then i would prolly play that.

Edited by someguyouknoe

Guild Wars works flawlessly with cedega.

The update for Doom 3 will fix your sound issues.

Nice. I'll have to make an effort to get it installed again then.

man, i play the :filtered: out of some games in Linux!

I use KXMame to play arcade game roms. I love the King of Fighters series!

Posted Image

GREAT! This is what I've been looking for. There's gonna be some X-Men arcade game playing goin on. :yup:

The one thing I really like about (the ID games at least) Linux ports of Windows games is the fact that you don't need the cd after you install.

Ex. Was playing Doom3 with my friend (we both bought it and installed it to play). He was using it on Windows and I was on Linux. He needs the cd to play, I don't.

Alternatively, you could just use a no-cd in Windows..

I just installed Doom 3 on Linux after playing it for a while in Windows, and amazingly, it plays much better in Linux than it ever did on XP.

With my 7600GT, in XP, I'm able to run it at 1280x1024 (max), Ultra quality (max), and AA 4X (16X max). Once you move AA up to 8x, stuff starts to get a bit choppy, and up to 16x, the game is just unbearable...

In SuSE, I'm actually able to run the game at 100% maximum settings, with no choppiness or hiccupping what-so-ever!

The one thing I really like about (the ID games at least) Linux ports of Windows games is the fact that you don't need the cd after you install.

Ex. Was playing Doom3 with my friend (we both bought it and installed it to play). He was using it on Windows and I was on Linux. He needs the cd to play, I don't.

Alternatively, you could just use a no-cd in Windows..

When I install the doom 3 update in XP it no longer requires the cd to play. I do have to say the quality of the graphics does seem a little better under Linux.

When I install the doom 3 update in XP it no longer requires the cd to play. I do have to say the quality of the graphics does seem a little better under Linux.

:geezer: I don't play it on Windows, so I didn't know that. Even without that though, he could've just used a no-cd patch to play without the disc, my point was just that more games should focus on being easy to play (ie. not having to dig for the cd).

Got it installed, everything works flawlessly this time. And yes, it does run better than it does in Windows.

Oh man, it's been a great week for gaming... I got Quake4 a couple days ago and it SPANKS Doom 3, its just loads more fun with a whole lot less jumping outta your chair.

I also just added Knights Of The Old Republic 2 to my linux repotoire (via cedega) and it seems to be running great too. I've only finished the prologue thusfar though. Don't think I'll actually play through this game, I've beatin it like twice back in the days when I still had Windows.

Gonna go through my game discs at home and see what else I've got left. Gotta find my racing games... :yup: