Change Mode

Guest Deuces Wild

I can see her advice on her shows in the future:

"Tie a ribbon around your handcuffs to make them festive!!"

"Try cutting yourself in a few places before putting on your uniform to make it more colorful!"

"To make the evening more romantic with your prison mate, turn the faucet in the sink on to make it sound like a bubbling stream."

"Instead of ordinary chalk, use burgendy shoe polish to mark off the days spent in prison on your wall. It will certainly brighten up the cell."

Stewart made around $228,000 on her sale of 3,928 shares of ImClone on Dec. 27, 2001, the day before the FDA's announcement by the close of the trading day on Dec. 28. News of the rejection sent ImClone's stock tumbling 16 percent at the close of trading the following Monday, Dec. 31. By selling when she did, Stewart avoided losses of $45,673.

Something just don't jive there,,why would a woman worth millions worry a bout a piddly loss like that??

You know how many pairs of shoes that $45k can buy? At least 4 or 5 :P

I'll add on to that Deuces...

"When playing penny poker with the other cell mates, scope them out to see their poker faces. Doing this could save tens of cents and even help you to make a dollar."

"To look more chich when wearing the cuffs, try pink long sleeve ballon tops. Not only do they cover the cuffs, they're stylish."

Guest Deuces Wild

Stewart made around $228,000 on her sale of 3,928 shares of ImClone on Dec. 27, 2001, the day before the FDA's announcement by the close of the trading day on Dec. 28. News of the rejection sent ImClone's stock tumbling 16 percent at the close of trading the following Monday, Dec. 31. By selling when she did, Stewart avoided losses of $45,673.

Something just don't jive there,,why would a woman worth millions worry a bout a piddly loss like that??

Why do some millionaires get caught shoplifting a $10 item?

Anything is possible.

She's going to find a pebble on the floor of a jail cell and turn it into a kitchen. :mrsgreen:

I hope she doesn't get out of this. If it were up to me, she wouldn't be making :choco: s for a long time.

I kind of feel sorry for Martha. Her decorating advice and cooking certainly isn't for the average person. The effort to make some of her meals would just boggle the mind....who has that kind of time? The decorating ideas are "off the wall" stupid. :blink: I really wonder if she was her own person, or if there were others who told her what to do and she felt her success depended on them.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm not supporting her, (never bought any of her junk from KMart) but I have to wonder like volt, what is the "real story".

Christopher Byron, author of Martha Inc.: The Incredible Story of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, told Good Morning America he thinks it's unlikely that Stewart will be taken to jail.

"This thing is a very sensitive situation in terms of public opinion, and that could backfire big time on the government if this woman were treated like an ordinary criminal who stuck up a liquor store," he said.

So it's alright for a rich woman to get away with it????????????????

jeff.

to play devil's advocate:

If everyone were truly moral they would not sell their stock. The whole notion of the market is predicated on the notion that another sucker will come and pick it up. If you did not think your stock would go down, why would you sell?

The only exception to this are diversification and a desperate need for cash.

The situation is simply really, somebody called her and said things was real bad. Well let's get out of here she said. And she did. Merely because she's rich does not neccesarily changes the steps involved in the logic of selfish behavior.

Taken to an extreme, if your friend ran Worldcom and you had all your money in it, would you not be a little perturbed to have to go sleep in a box for a while due to the fact that you lost all your money because he was too moral to tell you? (okay bad example but you get the picture)

OKay, okay, I was real bored at work today. Too much thinking time. :lol:

Edited by lucubration

The Bedford Correctional Facility isn't to far away from her present address anyway.

She better bring some extra smokes with her,it may buy her a little time :help:

Well, if it is so wrong to do what she did, why didn't George Bush get nailed for doing practically the same thing?

From "Running in Stolen Clothes" by David E. Scheim.

On June 20, 1990, Bush, a director of Harken Energy, sold the bulk of his Harken stock for $848,000. A week later, the stock plummeted in value on news of a large quarterly loss. Bush claimed that he had submitted a required report about the stock sale but it had somehow disappeared. (1) Bush refused repeated requests from both The Wall Street Journal (2) and U.S. News and World Reports (3) to discuss the stock sale. A federal (SEC) probe of Bush's stock sale terminated without charging or exonerating Bush. (4) But as Time reported, it was widely assumed that insider knowledge prompted the sale. (5) The Wall Street Journal reported other suspicious circumstances concerning Bush's involvement with Harken Energy. (6) Throughout his business career, George W. was bailed out by influential contacts for plays, as The Wall Street Journal put it, that "did not quite make the grade." (7) An example was a 1989 baseball deal financed in part "out of respect for his father" that ultimately earned George W. $15 million on a $600,000 investment. (8) Such financial windfalls were important for Bush, who, as Newsweek summarized, "was an academic slacker [at Yale], a mediocre athlete, a member of the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War and an unsuccessful oilman." (9)

References:

1. US News and World Report, 3/16/1992, pp. 57-59; Wall Street Journal, 9/28/1999, p. A26.

2. Wall Street Journal, 4/4/91, p. A4.

3. US News and World Report, 3/16/1992, pp. 57-59.

4. Washington Post, 7/30/1999, p. A1.

5. Time, 6/21/1999, p. 34ff.

6. Wall Street Journal, 9/28/1999, p. A26; 12/6/1991, p. A1.

7. Wall Street Journal, 9/28/1999, p. A26; see also sources below.

8. NY Times 5/8/1999, p. 1; Washington Post 7/25/2000, p. A1, 7/30/1999, p. A1, 7/31/1999, p. A1.

9. Newsweek, 11/22/99, p. 47.

7/11/1991, p. 12.

thats 30 days in the "WHOLE" Martha...she sounds like a teenage boy....I pulled out cuz I had reason to believe that something was going to happen...if she gets jail time I will laugh ALOT :mrwinky:

you forgot the article on Mr. Cheney as well didn't you? :lol:

No, I didn't. I just forgot where it is... So if you know, post it. :mrgreen:

But I wasn't ignoring your post. I just had to say "So it's alright for a rich Republican man to get away with it, but not a rich Democrat woman?" because I simply couldn't resist the temptation... :mrgreen: