Computer beeping

Well, this morning I replaced one of my 256 mb with one stick of 512 mb of RAM (DRAM Samsung) to my computer (which originally had one stick of 256 mb RAM) so now I have 512 mb + 256 mb...unfortunely after a minute or so I noticed that the computer was not starting and my monitor was just blank. Then I hear a long beep so I quickly unplugged my computer. After I opened the case the stick of 512 mb RAM smelled like it was burnt so I removed it leaving my original. I took out the 512 mb and left the 256 mb in there. Now whenever I try to start my computer I get this beep and a blank screen. Any suggestion on how I can fix this because it is a relatively new computer.

My computer is a customized Asus P4SP-MX motherboard with P4 at 2.4 ghz.

thanks for your help

Try resetting the cmos .. ( remove the battery ) and besides the battery there should be a jumper ( check your mobo manual ) swap the jumper pins for a few seconds and return them to where they were .. try this with the 512 stick installed too ... i very much doubt it would have been the ram you smelled burning ... bore likely dust in the PSU

actually I took the RAM out and it smelled terrible....and I can't get that smell out of my computer...it is strongest near the memory solts. Anyways I tried starting my computer again, this time I just keep getting a series of long (about 3 seconds) beeps, it never ends. I am going to try resetting cmos now,

I took out the battery and waited about 15 minutes then I switched the jumper and then switched it back. Afterwards I put back the battery and plugged in the computer. Unfortunely no luck....I still get the beeping and the blank screen. I'll try leaving the battery out for 2 hours...maybe that will work

Well, it's unlikely my motherboard was fried since it was only the 512 mb RAM that smelled burnt...and it was only in my computer for about 3 minutes. Then again...right now I am only testing the 256 mb stick because it doesn't smell burnt maybe I'll go buy another 512 mb of RAM and see what happens.

Edited by zmike
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried the new RAM (512 mb for $69.99) and it STILL doesn't work!!!!

I've tried almost everything possible:

-reset cmos

-only 256 mb

-only 512 mb

-only one of the slots

Does anyone have any other ideas? I really need to get this computer to work...it's been 2 weeks already and all the money I am paying to isp is wasted.

Edited by zmike

Well, I think it'll be a good idea to back up the data so I am going to take out the hard drive from the broken computer and put in my uncle's Dell computer [dimension 2100] (then to USB keys).

-Could the switching of hard drives cause any data loss or other problems?

thanks