Sign in to follow this  
Paul442

5.0 Ghz

Well I've clocked the dickens out of this 960 D, the last of the pentiums(May 2, 2006), and made it to 5.0Ghz. Unfortunetly it throttled back:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=YWWNPWSUE0JSRFNC

Posted Image Posted Image

The highest I could overclock without throttling back was 4.92Ghz: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=0FWNPWSUE0JSLZNC

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Pentium Extreme

Nice O/C. :beer: If thats on air thats really impressive.

Hey good work. I was just reading today about Conroes at 5.5 on single phase. Are you on air.

No, Water cooling. DangerDen equiped using the Black Ice X-Flow Xtreme II radiator. Installing that radiator made a huge difference in cooling capability. Runs 48c at idle, 63c under load @ 4.92Ghz. Have to set the processor to 1.575v, memory to 2.3v. I would love to see benchmarks of the new Conroes overclocked. Especially at 5.5. Edited by Pentium Extreme

Sweet. I ordered almost the same Radiator. :D

Your going to love it, don't know how much flow you have with your current radiator, but mine was exremely restrictive. I bet I have 4x the flow, giving me sooooooooooo much more cooling capability. Tried a new pump, tried a new block, not until that radiator did I see any major improvement.

Your going to love it, don't know how much flow you have with your current radiator, but mine was exremely restrictive. I bet I have 4x the flow, giving me sooooooooooo much more cooling capability. Tried a new pump, tried a new block, not until that radiator did I see any major improvement.

Well I'm going from THIS

To THIS

It better improve. :D

Well I'm going from THIS

To THIS

It better improve. :D

big change, a very big change.

I have Stealth GT240, still sitting in dust lol, haven't put it up :P

hows the real world performance feel at thoose speeds?

you got to go with the weakest link philosophy. your really only as fast as the system can read off of the disk. Yes, it is lightening fast using anything in resident memory, Just thinking about clicking on that icon or link brings up the page, as long as it is all in resident memory and not cached on disk.

Finaly was able to get 5ghz with no throttle back. also added 2 more raptors for total of 4 in raid 0. using x800xl card for 2d score, got me over 4000. 4018

What kinda temps were you seeing? I know when I installed the Black Ice radiator my temps went down nicely. :) Load temps didn't go down all the much but the tubes are always cool to the touch.

What kinda temps were you seeing? I know when I installed the Black Ice radiator my temps went down nicely. :) Load temps didn't go down all the much but the tubes are always cool to the touch.

Load temp is around 62~63 idles at 42. I've only had the black ice installed with this chip so I could'nt tell you the difference from the last radiator. What kind of pump are you using? I replaced mine with a Danger Den DD12V-D5 before I got the radiator. I did not see much difference until I installed the rad. Maybe you need more volume out of your pump to maintain.

I just LOVE when the weather gets cool... :)

Yesterday evening...

Posted Image

A few min ago...

Posted Image

Notice the top one is at 3.4 GHz and the bottom is at 3.5 with .5 more volts.:D Maybe the Arctic Silver settled in. ;)

I'm using a combo pump/res by koolance.

LINKY

Edited by tarawa

Thats a heck of a low idle temp, nice job. :beer: Whats your load temp, is it that 50c I see under highest? How high can you overclock that cpu now with the better temps? :sandi:

Well here's the thing. I was reading the Tom's Hardware article again and came across the part where it talks about the VID or the voltage ID of the CPU. What they were saying is that you want a lower value for best oc'ing. The cpu they were using had a VID of 1.33, mine is 1.38. I don't know if it's the MB or the cpu but so far I haven't been able to get past around 760 FSB (3.8 GHz). Toms VID

The values for min and max you see in the last post control the fan speeds in auto mode. Low runs at about %50 and high, obviously, is at %100. I can also go to auto, like in this post, and set them anywhere from %0 to %100. I'm still sorta playing with getting the values right as the temp monitors are the wired kind and put on with thermal tape so aren't as accurate as the diode values but they still go up and down at about the same rate as them.

Anyway I just ran a quick (20 min) stress test at 167x20 (3.34) It's not as cool tonight but the cpu temp never got over 60c. At higher FSB, around 760 or so, it will get up around 68c or so at full load.

Posted Image

Posted Image