Change Mode

Site won't load on IE but will on Firefox

I just got an email about my not having visited in about six months. I don't want to lose the tests I have saved here so I clicked on the link in the email and that opened a new tab in Firefox to this site which loaded just fine and allowed me to login. I am posting this from Firefox.

I can't test using Fx. I never use IE (I don't even use WU rather Shavlik). I opened IE to come here and the site will not load. So, I have Maxthon which I also almost never use (I am a Fx, SeaMonkey, Opera user) and I tried to come here on it. Maxthon can load this site's main page but when I try to login in nothing happens when I press the Go button after typing in my email address and password. I don't have those wrong since I had no problems logging in on Fx here.

I have no idea what the problem might be with IE. I don't know if it has problems with other websites or not since I don't use it. It did open my home page at dslreports.com ok though. So, it is likely just a problem with this site...Active X problem? But why would Maxthon be able to load your main page but IE cannot? Then why a problem with logging in...that is rather basic. Even if I could login on Maxthon/IE, with all these problems I probably couldn't test.

See if you can run the test using the new IE tab for FF:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=124997

Thank you but I tried that IE tab a year ago. I didn't like it. I don't want IE anywhere near Fx. I use IE only when I absolutely have to. I use it for speed tests and that is about it. IE was working here the last time I was here.

I recall vaguely over all the years I have done the PCPitstop tests, and that's been about seven years I think, that periodically IE will have the problem of not being able to load this site. Can't remember what the fix was though.

I suppose I might put that IE tab on SeaMonkey... nah...no way to uninstall extensions on SeaMonkey. I can probably test on my virtual guest machine using IE but I'm testing VMWare....:D

Yeah...I can test just fine on IE on my virtual machine. But now on the host machine (XP Pro SP2) Maxthon won't fully load even the main page here much less let me log in so the problem has gotten worse. I can't get to the forums or anywhere on this site now on Maxthon or IE. The main page loads very slowly up to 38% and then goes no further. IE is fine everywhere that I have tried it or Maxthon except this site.

Edited by Melelina

I got it to load by putting the site in the trusted zone. I was able to test.

However, now I can't load it again.

Hi Melelina,

You might give the following a try. To view ActiveX that is installed on your computer, go to Tools/Internet Options/General Page. Click on "Temporary Internet Files (Settings)"/View Objects. Look for PC Pitstop Utility & right click/Update & see if IE will load then. If it won't update, delete & try running the test again.

Sorry for butting in here IG. :mrgreen:

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Hi Melelina,

You might give the following a try. To view ActiveX that is installed on your computer, go to Tools/Internet Options/General Page. Click on "Temporary Internet Files (Settings)"/View Objects. Look for PC Pitstop Utility & right click/Update & see if IE will load then. If it won't update, delete & try running the test again.

Sorry for butting in here IG. :mrgreen:

Regards,

It's the latest PCPitstop plugin. I had deleted the earlier one. I ran all the tests at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154036 yesterday trying to figure out what the problem was. So, I changed a lot of settings in IE for the tests. Nothing helped. I still couldn't load the site...instead of stopping on 7 items left to load it stopped on 4. Then I decided to try putting it in the Trusted Zone which is what has always worked before but I had forgotten that since I seldom use IE.

So, it worked in the Trusted Zone. I did a test and then I decided to put all those settings I had changed for the Microsoft tests when a site won't load in IE back the way I had them for the Internet Zone. Now mind you, I have PCPitstop in the Trusted Zone and I am only changing the Internet Zone back to how I had it. Well....something I reset made it impossible for me again to load this site on IE! It was weird...I had the site loaded on one instance of IE showing the test I just did. I reset the settings for Internet Zone and opened another instance of IE and it can't load this site! Then I noticed that in the instance that was loaded where I had done the test successfully, the status bar said MIXED ZONE ??? .

So, evidently I can't have secure settings for IE in the internet zone and load this site in the trusted zone because it "mixes" the zones! Geeez.....So, now what do I do?

Plus, to make it more irritating, something I did in IE settings has screwed up the front page of Outlook Express. It won't load now and gives me a script error. Ugh.

Where's Dave BTW?

Hi again Melelina,

My experience with IE has been somewhat strange to say the least. I found by changing IE setting for the most part, resulted in new problems like unable to access Hotmail, open links, etc. However, you could give the following a try.

1. Open IE.

2. Click on Tools and then, click on Internet Options.

3. Click the Security tab.

4. Click the Internet Web content zone.

5. Click Custom Level.

6. In the Settings box, scroll down to the Scripting section, and click Enable under Active scripting and Scripting of Java applets.

7. Click Enable under Download signed ActiveX controls, Download unsigned ActiveX controls, Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe, Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins, and Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.

8. Click Enable Java under Java Permissions.

9. Click OK.

There are multiple "Fixes" for IE.....It is the problem oif finding the right one. :thud:

Haven't talked to Dave for a long time. Have seen him here now & again. ;)

Let us know if this helps please. BTW, if you are running ME or XP, have you tried System Restore back to when you were able to test?

Regards,

Hi again Melelina,

My experience with IE has been somewhat strange to say the least. I found by changing IE setting for the most part, resulted in new problems like unable to access Hotmail, open links, etc. However, you could give the following a try.

1. Open IE.

2. Click on Tools and then, click on Internet Options.

3. Click the Security tab.

4. Click the Internet Web content zone.

5. Click Custom Level.

6. In the Settings box, scroll down to the Scripting section, and click Enable under Active scripting and Scripting of Java applets.

7. Click Enable under Download signed ActiveX controls, Download unsigned ActiveX controls, Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe, Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins, and Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.

8. Click Enable Java under Java Permissions.

9. Click OK.

There are multiple "Fixes" for IE.....It is the problem oif finding the right one. :thud:

Haven't talked to Dave for a long time. Have seen him here now & again. ;)

Let us know if this helps please. BTW, if you are running ME or XP, have you tried System Restore back to when you were able to test?

Regards,

Evidently it was a couple of ActiveX settings in the Trusted Zone that I had put to prompt that was the problem. Geez...got to really trust a site to put it in the Trusted Zone. I had to allow all the questionable ActiveX stuff totally...nothing on prompt.

I didn't need to change anything in the Internet Zone and I would not have changed ActiveX settings there...too dangerous. So, I don't know what that "mixed zone" message from IE was about regarding this site because it works fine if I put in trusted and then allow just about everything.

Now if I can just figure out what I changed that is causing Outlook Express to give a script error and not load the front page....I don't think loading the front page in OE is dangerous and I like the front page! I want it back. OE was working right until I started doing those tests Microsoft recommends when a web page doesn't load properly in IE and have no idea what I changed that affected OE. It is not the obvious script settings in IE. Sigh. All this with the zones for IE just reminds me why I seldom use IE. It is such a pain. Fx is so much better. But I don't like Thunderbird mail. I love OE ...one of the few things I really like about Microsoft Windows products...I know that makes me crazy...;) Noone except me seems to like OE.

Where did the forum go that was for boasting about scores and tweaking? When I got this computer and it scored mediocre ....I figured it was the tests not handling hyperthreading well or something like that and I was disappointed so I came back once in April and the score still said I had an ok computer but it could be much faster. So, I was disgusted and didn't visit again until I got the email the other day about deleting my saved tests. I recall a forum though in February for bragging and I couldn't brag because I wasn't getting that good of a score.

I've been a member here since just shortly after the site opened although the forum doesn't reflect that because I recall back in 2003 the forum was radically changed and all the old stuff was lost or something. I remember having to register new here and could not access posts back before the changes. All this to say that years ago Dave was so active here and I just wondered what was going on since I don't see him now.

You have no idea, I suppose, why the test would say I have a monitor I don't have and claim it has a higher resolution than it really does? There was a huge plastic covering on this monitor when it arrived stating that the maximum resolution was 1280x1024. I see that with the nVidia card that I could invoke a utility to enable changes in resolution but to invoke that I have to sign an agreement that I understand that doing so will the void the warranty on the monitor and may cause irreversible corruption in the BIOS. So, that is basically a no-no to go above 1280x1024. So the PCPitstop test is just wrong and seems to think I have a different monitor than I have although I have not checked to see if the serial number reported by the test is correct. That may be as it obviously got that off my computer but still the resolution it reports as maximum is wrong. The monitor part of the test is not a major part of the test at all but it would be nice if it was either correct or simply didn't test for the monitor at all. I recall when I bought this monitor in Nov 2003 that PCPitstop had no information on it for a very long time and that portion of the test would be blank. I think now it has the wrong information ...I'd rather that part be blank than wrong.

I finally had to use System Restore because of the OE problem caused by my trying to troubleshoot why this site wouldn't load. After a successful system restore to Friday, I entered PCPitstop in the Trusted Zone and that was that. No need to fiddle with any settings there or anything like I reported in the post above this one that I had to mess with to get the site to work in Trusted zone.

This site works fine now in IE. Now why wasn't I told in the first place when I asked here that I had to put PCPitstop in the trusted zone and that was all I needed to do? That would have saved me a LOT of time and trouble. It is not something I would likely remember because I very seldom use IE so I haven't thought about zones in ages.

So, tip ...have the admins, mods, etc. immediately tell a user who can't load this site to put it in the trusted zone. Don't assume they have already done that or even remember, if they ever knew, that it has to be there. So, that should be the first suggestion I think when a user comes here and complains that the site won't load in IE. Ironically, I had a friend who earlier today was trying to load this site and couldn't. He too had forgotten that it had to be in the Trusted zone. He also almost never uses IE but has been a Fx user, like me, for many years.

Happy you got it sorted out Melelina. :mrgreen:

Sometimes it is a very small thing that can cause such a major problem. I don't have it in my Trusted Sites as I use IE all the time & have another means of accessing sites that use ActiveX. It is something that one has to be very careful about as some ActiveX can cause havoc with your system.

Regards,