Sign in to follow this  
Hawk

THE PIT

There are to many forums, and sub forums. It is cluttered, and confusing to new members, I personally find it a pain to look at fifty different forums and sub forums to see who needs help and who doesn't, what has been replied to and what hasn't.

damn right.

there needs to be a new user interface or a nice deleting of unneeded forums.

I will say that this place seems much less technical than it was in the past. I am guilty as are many at not spending enough time in the "help" forums, I support people as a form of employment so it drains me to spend a lot of time helping people here.

I love the international aspect of this forum, and always have. There is a vast array of knowledge on this place, technical and otherwise, I can honestly say that its helped me grow as an individual because of that.

I would like to see a consolidation of some of the forums and replace them with a FAQ section or something like that, combining some of the help forums will allow them to appear much more active and hopefully bring in more "help".

I will say that this place seems much less technical than it was in the past. I am guilty as are many at not spending enough time in the "help" forums, I support people as a form of employment so it drains me to spend a lot of time helping people here.

I love the international aspect of this forum, and always have. There is a vast array of knowledge on this place, technical and otherwise, I can honestly say that its helped me grow as an individual because of that.

I would like to see a consolidation of some of the forums and replace them with a FAQ section or something like that, combining some of the help forums will allow them to appear much more active and hopefully bring in more "help".

:geezer:

The Pit has seen quite a few changes over the years, some good, some bad, but so too have Computers and IT.

The wonderful thing that has happened is that we are now a truely International Forum with input from many Countries and Cultures, which on the main is done in a friendly and curtious way.

Like all Communities there are a few that will always be different, but, provided they don't set out to break Rules deliberately, it is part and parcel of Life. (I am the first to admit I am different, Mate).

Your Idea of a FAQ Section is quite a worthy one that should be considered by the "Powers that Be".

Many of us have Posted Fixes for Problems, that recur time after time again. A FAQ Section could possibly link them together?

I personally think that on the whole the Pit is as strong as ever.

:sparkle::wub::wub::sparkle:

did i just read correctly brandon saying that seeing who's computer was faster was a silly comp?!

LOL

what happened?!

EDIT>> Oh, and the pit has changed, lots of older knowledgeable people have left, waves of young guns have come in to stir up a bunch more ****

Edited by wdeydwondrer

The PIT is different now from what it used to be - I was a member before 2003 but lost my post count etc when the site went bottoms up and we all had to re-register. Over the years I doubt if I have contributed much to helping others fix their computers on anything other than the bare basics - but I've added my twopennyworth. :cr@sh: What exactly has changed? Hmmmm - lots of things! The people who are now admins etc are a different breed from the originals or they have evolved into something different from what they were. Has that been through choice or because they felt the newer admins were bringing - or offering something better - I don't know.

What I do feel has become worse over time - is the level of leniency afforded to posters of all ages and types, no matter what their creed or beliefs may be. I think it was my pal Mouse who said in her post that a dose of thick skin wouldn't go down wrong (or something to that effect). There seems to be a tendency to adopt the moral high ground by many and a sufference for particular posters to be still accorded leeway in what comments they make about others in the open forum, with no visible sign of them being warned off by admins as most of us are or have been at times. From my observations, this seems to be a bias that favours certain posters. Another thing that often shows up when things get heated, is the difference in what is meant by a word or phrase in one country - and what it means in another. As an example of this, I would ask you to look back at Jacee's post that instigated the response from Hurdy - which he very gallantly apologised for later. When I read Jacee's post I thought the same or similar to what Hurdy posted - but he had beat me to it. :P Now I have no bones to grind with Jacee, but I did feel her comment was out of line - but then I think to myself - maybe she is a very forthright talker anyway - and what cost is it to me to let her have her say? Problem disappears! :adios:

Biggest loss over time? The humour of the PIT - long gone! My old pal, the large green one, continues to do his bit for our funny bones - and does a grand job of it. But oh my, for the days of the long posts about how we fought Gator and took on the anti-spyware fight, the rallying of the troops and the outright humour but seriousness of it all was brilliant and doubtful ever to be repeated - truly a classic in its own right. Times when posters openly took on each other over their posts and kept a degree of civility about them and humour - whilst making darn serious comment - was ----great!

The number of forums and sub forums - well that is to be understood to a degree. The PIT was so diverse and unwieldly at times it was difficult to keep track - but we all made the effort. If you lost the place - you simply put up a post asking someone for directions - and got them :tup: Combining some of the forums and subs again would not - to my mind - detract from what the PIT is and could be.

Back then, I do not recall admins being too heavy handed. Posters were allowed to have their say - or rant at each other - only getting a warning when it really got out of hand (guilty :blushing: ) but therin lies the art of discussion and the alchemy of facilitating via a forum. It is knowing when to allow things to go for a while and not taking the moral ground for all and always being the watchdog and coming over like a schoolmarm instead of an admin. :nono:

Why do I keep coming to the PIT? Because sometimes there are little splashes of colour that remind me of what the PIT used to be like - and I really do see the PIT as a large family of people who gather together with a like minded interest and who want to help others or get help themselves.

I think it would be sad if Hawk was to never post in here again - I for one enjoy what he has to say.

beau B)

:geezer:

I do agree that our Humour has suffered, Mate!

Time we did something about that?

Big Green Bloke has indeed carried most of it, time for us to lend him a hand, I think!

:sparkle::laughing::laughing::sparkle:

I would make a longer post, but i need to leave for school in like 5 minutes.

I feel the forums have becomes much more stricts in the past few years.

Locked threads, personal attacks, all that sort of stuff has been going up like crazy.

I don't feel that it's nessecarily a bad change. I think the pit does what it was made to do. Help people diagnose their computer problems, and dispite some of the personal attacks and rude comments being put up in PD and GD, we still do our job quite well.

On the topic of PD and GD, i think it's turn into personal attacks too often. I know i'm quite guilty of it at least a few times. Chopdoc and I seem to get into battles on nearly every topic. I must say I do enjoy debating alot, and a try not to turn it personal, but sometimes the debates are personal.

I also agree with hulk on the U2U forum. It seems that inexperienced users don't seem to know how to ask for help, don't know which details to provide, and they just give up after we try to help.

The pit needs to impliment some sort of web page re-direct, so when you click on U2U, it gives an explaination on what they need to tell us about their problem so we can help them to the best of our ability. Then they can proceed to the forum to ask for their help. Like hulk, i've been very frusterated when i'm helping someone and they don't come back halfway through solving the problem, or just say, "i gave up and reformatted." I think alot of people don't realize how much time we put into researching and helping them fix their hardware.

Oh great, i'm late now..:D

But that is my feeling.

The demise of the the Pit is down to that rapscallion; that knave; that base person known to all and sundry as ...

...Sir T FieryBalls.

There, I have named and shamed the rogue.

Edited by Hurdy