Change Mode

does big tires hurt tie rods?

gordesky1

today we took us truck down for inspection and they said the front end is going and the big tires is what causes it to go is that true?

the tires we got on it is 35in 16s and we just got them on about 5months ago.

to me i cant find that true.

and also how do you know when a front end is going?

Sure can, especially if the rims have a different offset then the original rims.

The ball joints and tie rod ends are designed for a certain geometry, when you chenge to wider tires and or wider rims you change the geometry, and put weight and stress in directions the ball joints and tie rod ends were not designed for.

Been there done that.

Get used to replacing the front end parts a little more often normal, or buy rims and tires designend for the vehicle.

Think I have similar problem on a 1998 Chevy Blazer. The tires are wearing on the sides more than the middle. I think they put tires too wide on the vehicle in the first place. It even screeches when you make a turn even if you aren't going fast at all. :(

anything larger and heavier than stock will increase wear and tear on components.

Some lift kits and such have "upgraded" parts in order to combat the increased wear and tear.

If your tires are wearing unever it means the caster/camber is not correct and the car needs to be aligned. Depending on the stance of your vehicle this can remedy the issue or at least slow it down.

the tires aint wearing or anything its just scraps when you make a turn.

but sence we had them on it for 5months its not scape much anymore because it got used to them.

but to me i dont think the tires will do it because its a huge truck.

i looked on the drivers door and look at the sticker it says 16x6.5 for the rims and the rims i got on it now is 16 or 16.5 so shouldint that be good?

the truck says it weighs 8800lbs with out tires and its mainly 10,976lbs with. thats what it says on the door sticker so you see its a pretty big truck.

whould air pressure make any diffrence?

think right now its at 45psi and on the sticker with the stock 245s it says 80 in back and 65 in front.

heres the pic of the sticker http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9523/imag0017ek3.jpg

heres the truck with the tires.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8790/imag0022co3.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5484/imag0021ba9.jpg

anything larger and heavier than stock will increase wear and tear on components.

Some lift kits and such have "upgraded" parts in order to combat the increased wear and tear.

If your tires are wearing unever it means the caster/camber is not correct and the car needs to be aligned. Depending on the stance of your vehicle this can remedy the issue or at least slow it down.

Yea, I went into a pothole on the thruway doing 70mph or so. It was filled with water so I didn't see it coming. It was near a construction zone. I'm pretty sure that is what messed my alignment up. Car steers to the right quit a bit.

The offset of the rims are incorrect, and that is where the biggest problem will come from. Any time you put rims on a vehicle, the most critical thing is the offset.

The rims are "sticking outside" the wheel wells, this means that excessive pressure will be put on the ball joints but specifically the lower balls joints, and tie rod ends.

Second if tires are "scraping" then they certainly should not be on the truck as they obviously don't fit the turning radius. At a minimum the turn stops should have been adjusted to prevent them from going so far in that they rub.

Yep, suspension and front end shops love seeing guys like you, because it means mo money in their pockets all the way around.

will a lift kit or better suspension help?

oh and when we get the new parts on how long were they last if i keep everything like it is?

because i want too keep the big tires on it because it looks stupit with small tires on a big truck.

and how much air should be in them? think they got ony 45psi in all 4.

oh forgot to say will air shocks help it? never mind just check and there is no air shocks for the front...

oh and another thing the stock rims on the truck was 16s so that shouldint be much of a diffrence to 16x6.5

Do it yourself motor vehicle improvers need to bring a few skills up to date.

When you alter the vehicle-- the factory settings on wheel alignment are still set for the original wheels and tires. If you did not compensate with a fresh alignment, you new tires and wheels will wear quicker as well as put abnormal stress upon the 'now' misaligned front end structure.

It also sound as though you have not greased the truck as often as it needed. You may have used the truck to go "off-road' and the additional flexing of the steering mechanism drives grease out.

If you're going to radically change componets on your vehicle, do the whole change and get a re-alignment as part of it. :geezer::)

we never took the truck off road sence we owned it.

im not sure if the guy who owned it befor did tho.

but im going too try to get re-alignment this time

but what could of cause the damage is delivering papers my mom and dad does it every day for about 5hours thats with us 94 geo tracker monday to sat.

and than the ram does the sunday papers and thats even longer and they have to go threw small streets and turns and alot of bumps and pot holes.

so thats problee like offroading or worse..

so thats problee what killed most of the parts.

all this job is kill inside of the vehs and outside and we got the proof in our lot because the ony ones that runing now is the bronco 2 and the firebird but we never used the firebird or ever will for papers.

today i guess we geting the parts and let them put it on tomarlo.

what hurts it to we had too buy fender flares bushwackers on top of that so thats 900$ or close to it:(

but what dont get me whouldint the truck be wobleing or something if the front end was going to break?

I know what you are going through. I did the same thing back in my day....to my cars.....big tires, jacked up rear, lowered front....mag rims....the whole nine yards. Sure, it looks good...but face it....the thing wasn't designed for that kind of stuff. Yeah, you can do it.....but have you ever seen a tie rod end or a ball joint let go at highway speeds? I have! Let's just say....it "aint" pretty! :geezer:

well we got 2 other trucks a big 4x4 van and a 79 bronco that got big tires on it and has no problems.

to me i think the guy is messing with us because i look under the truck and dont see any thing wrong.

and the truck drives good no wobbleing or anything.

but my mom and dad got the parts anyways.

what i dont get is i see smaller trucks and they got big wheels with no problems so i think it was just was from the age of the truck and what the truck goes threw with papers.

but we gona try and get the truck re-alignment and do the same with the tires.

and later on try and get a lift kit so that should help it.

and i whould think it whould wobble or turn to the right or something like our other trucks the ford bronco 79 was wobbleing all over the place.

Bruce has been spot on from the start on this question.

You will not see or "feel" any problems initially. Gravity will play it's part over time and the front-end will suffer unless it is properly rebuilt or reinforced to allow for the slope against the un-natural offset of the rims.

Years ago, when the beauty of air shocks came into play for us "home mechanics", we were in our prime.

No one mentioned it, probably because of the advances in gearing today, but over time, the gear box in the rear-end will be wearing as well due to the incongruity of the rim offset.

Something to take into consideration. Looks cool though!

:)Y

Keep in mind also that the newer these vehicles are now days, the lighter and cheaper the disigns are.

Hence the old saying, "they don't build them like they used to".

One thing about some of the newer cars with this rack and pinion and struts. When they hit a large hole or curb for instance, parts will bend.

Just my 2 cents after aligning cars and trucks for 5 years.

Keep in mind also that the newer these vehicles are now days, the lighter and cheaper the disigns are.

Hence the old saying, "they don't build them like they used to".

One thing about some of the newer cars with this rack and pinion and struts. When they hit a large hole or curb for instance, parts will bend.

Just my 2 cents after aligning cars and trucks for 5 years.

Well stated and brought into what is "real" now-a-days.

Believe me, you can trust such posts from wolfeden.

:)Y

edit: What are we looking at? Dodge, Ford, Nissan?

sounds like a lot of you have a good knowledge of these things.

Castor, camber and King pin Inclination are the factors here, and unfortunately King pin inclination is very hard to alter.

to get a feel for the extra work you are asking your suspension and steering to do, take a push bike wheel, spin it real fast, then turn it through 90 degrees and feel the resistance, then imagine doing this at speed with a heavy rim and tyre.

john.

i know all of you are right thats why i posted it here:)

i just was saying when our other 2 trucks front end went it was wobbleing and going up and down.

today we got it back and so far its rideing the same as with the old one lol and its not driveing smooth as the old one so i dont know.

but is there any thing i could do to save the parts if i keep the tires?

and how long will the new parts last now? if they last years thats fine.

our 1985 ford e350 van 4x4 4inch lift and 33inch tires or 35 not sure and with a heavy duty front end and shocks ony time we replace the front end on that is when we got the truck 9years ago and haveint replace anything on the front yet.

im not saying anybuddy is wrong on this forum im just saying around here were i live sucks and you cant trust anyone:(

and im asking is there anything i could do too keep the front end from going or make it last couple good years.

• 2 weeks later...

another update week after we got the new parts the front axle was leaking so we had a local gut torq it and they said what happen the guys who put the new front end parts on it pound on it to much and thats what did it.

so day after we got it torq it start leaking again.

so we took it to a local dodge place that know my mom and dad and they said to them it doesint look like the seals are bad and they said it problee some left over oil when they tork the axle.

and they said just clean it off and see if it leaks again and put more oil in it.

they said its not worth it to replace the seals that will cost 500$ if its not that doing it.

and they told us to bring it back if we have any problems to replace the seals.

but they even said it whould be makeing noises or feel funny if the seals was bad.

and we also ask them will the big wheels hurt this truck sence we got teh new parts on it they said it does play hell on everthing on the front end but they said it will last a couple good years if we keep it greese and stuff.

so thats good:) lol

just hope the front seals didint go and just hope its just left over greese..

Archived