Change Mode

Best video card under $75?

So, I'm looking to get a new video card, but am in college and have a max spending limit of about $75. My motherboard is a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus, so I think I'd need to go with an AGP card (if I understand correctly, but I'm not really sure). I'd like to do some gaming with my system, but I don't need to have all the specs turned up on all the games I play. I'm fine with playing new games with low settings, just as long as I can play them (of course, I'd prefer that it look good too, but if I can't have both...).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Sikkibahm

So, I'm looking to get a new video card, but am in college and have a max spending limit of about $75. My motherboard is a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus, so I think I'd need to go with an AGP card (if I understand correctly, but I'm not really sure). I'd like to do some gaming with my system, but I don't need to have all the specs turned up on all the games I play. I'm fine with playing new games with low settings, just as long as I can play them (of course, I'd prefer that it look good too, but if I can't have both...).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Sikkibahm

I just got a saphire radeon 9600 pro from newegg, and im impressed. Payed $62 so that will be in your price range. It's core speed is 400 and mem speed of 466 with 4 pixel pipelines. If you wana spend under $100 i would get this card over any other one.

I just got a saphire radeon 9600 pro from newegg, and im impressed. Payed $62 so that will be in your price range. It's core speed is 400 and mem speed of 466 with 4 pixel pipelines. If you wana spend under $100 i would get this card over any other one.

Would a 9600 pro be better than a geforce 9300? I think those are in my price range as well.

If you have the card that is shown in your profile (Ti4600), then the 9600 Pro would be more of a step backwards (all be it a small one) than an upgrade. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two cards based on the reference design,

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?ca...5&card2=135

So you're saying a card I bought for $65 two years ago is better than any card I can buy for under $75 now?

Most of them, yes. About the only thing you would really gain from any of the cards in that price range is newer features (SM2.0, SM3.0 (pixel and vertex shaders) which are the new/newer standards, whereas your card has PS1.3 and VS1.1) which will allow you to play newer games that require them. You have to remember that the GF4 Ti series was the top of the line (or close to it) when they were new.

Edited by stormy13

a 9800pro whould be your best bet:)

heres one for 77$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16814131247R

and its alot better than a ti4600 or 9600.

and on some forums that has forsale you might get lucky and get a 6600gt for 50$ or a x800series for 75$:)

i got my x800pro for ony 75shipped on notebookforums.com

and i saw 6600gt forsale for ony 50$ on dfi-street.com