Change Mode

plz help! Smell slight burning

PLZZZ PLZZ help me, I just been running my Farcry game for an hour, ran smooth, but, Since i upped my ram to 4-4-4-12, and ram voltage to 2.1, I'm getting a slight sortof burning smell coming from my pc, dont know where from though.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Plzz help, as I dont want to fry my pc.

It's only slight smell, but i couldnt smell it before.

The temperature reading is 18'C CPU, and 40'C System.

Thats using my MSI Dual Core Centre program. I really don't know what it is when I'm in-game, how would I find out, as I run full screen?

my specs are below

Hmm, I would download something like Motherboard Monitor to check the temperatures... Maybe even Everest Home Edition.

If anything, just put down the voltage.. 2.1 maybe to high for that ram but im not sure.. if anything i doubt you would be smelling a burning kinda smell. Just put down ur voltage and loosen your timings a bit and see if you still smell it. It could be numerous things.

Yea, it should be fine if you dont go over 2.3 for the voltage, and if you do i think its a violation of the warranty (im not sure though).

You shouldnt be smelling anything, even at those timings and the voltage, it should be fine.. maybe its just the smell of hardware getting worked (if its new ram) jeez i dunno, should be fine though!

As long as there is no smoke or fire.. u should be ok :)

Edited by strukt

Yea, it should be fine if you dont go over 2.3 for the voltage, and if you do i think its a violation of the warranty (im not sure though).

You shouldnt be smelling anything, even at those timings and the voltage, it should be fine.. maybe its just the smell of hardware getting worked (if its new ram) jeez i dunno, should be fine though!

As long as there is no smoke or fire.. u should be ok :)

Ok thanks, Appreciate your help :D

I haven't got any smell today, so I think your right about just breaking it in cos it's new :D

If you memory is rated to run at the specific voltages or 1.8 to 2.3v then that wouldn't be causing any burning. That's it's rated voltage. That's where it should be set to run properly. If you have increased the voltage over it's specs, either by voltage mods to the board or hardware additions then that's another story. It's also unlikely that setting the voltage to a setting over the rated specs lets say 2.4 in this case or even 2.5 would not burn your memory. But that would be running it over specs and does increase the risk of damage. That being said I've never burned up any ram even using the Ram booster hardware, voltage mods, or powersupply mods.

still, i am very dubious over a cpu temp of 18 degrees celcius (especially with a mobo temp of 40) - that seems far to low for running farcry for an hour on air cooling. even if it is dual core. should still be up 35-45 degrees on idle.

i would check your cpu heatsink and fan is mounted correctly.

intra is right timing will not causethe ram to burn up. voltage is a good call but - your RAM, does it have heatspreaders over them or is it bare ram sticks.

Edited by LordMordred

does it have heatspreaders over them or is it bare ram sticks.

I HIGHLY doubt that would make them burn... if they ram is said to run at 4-4-4-12 and 1.8-2.3v... there should be nothing wrong.

I would say that you need a proper temperature monitor.

Even if the heatsink is not seated right, it wouldn't show the temperature to be LOWER, if it wasnt seated properly you would know.

Seriously, though, check your motherboard to see if any capacitors have burst or any bits have burned or whatnot. I've had it happen to me (auxillary USB controller fried), so it does happen, and it's worth a look.

Seriously, though, check your motherboard to see if any capacitors have burst or any bits have burned or whatnot. I've had it happen to me (auxillary USB controller fried), so it does happen, and it's worth a look.

Yep, nothing wrong with taking a quick glimpse to be on the safer side.

i whouldint worrie its just a new smell that comes from hardware when you run it under load:)

heck even me and my uncle still smell it and i had my computer going on 2years and he had his going on 4years lol thats under load playing a game:)

i whouldint worrie its just a new smell that comes from hardware when you run it under load:)

heck even me and my uncle still smell it and i had my computer going on 2years and he had his going on 4years lol thats under load playing a game:)

My mobo had more of a vomit smell. :beer:

still, i am very dubious over a cpu temp of 18 degrees celcius (especially with a mobo temp of 40) - that seems far to low for running farcry for an hour on air cooling. even if it is dual core. should still be up 35-45 degrees on idle.

Well that's the reading sometime after I stopped FarCry. I Can't find any software to take a reading of my Temp while in a game. So I dont know what it gets to then. Bu when my pc isn't under anyload, would 20'C cpu strike you as negative?

Well that's the reading sometime after I stopped FarCry. I Can't find any software to take a reading of my Temp while in a game. So I dont know what it gets to then. Bu when my pc isn't under anyload, would 20'C cpu strike you as negative?

all depends on abient temp and cooling if you lived in greenland i think that would be about right with air cooling :rofl2: