I can't install Flash

I'm a bit stuck, I keep getting little promps from websites telling me to update Flash, yet when I try to it just won't install. I wondered if it was because I kept refusing to take the Yahoo! toolbar, so I ticked the box to install that - that did install, but still the Flash won't work.

It seems - as far as I can tell to be OK for Firefox, but not I.E. Is there something really obvious I'm missing, or are 'terrible things' afoot in my PC?

Grateful for any help, thanks.

That download for flash is so horribly slow that is sometimes stalls for minutes.

Be patient, I installed it yesterday on a customers machine and it took almost 35 minutes before it finally finished.

Adobe's site has gotten rediculously buggy & slow where downloading Flash & Shockwave is concerned. With weaker computers IE freezes and wants to send error reports to M$. Pages freeze, CTRL/ALT/DEL reveals that IE isn't responding. Even with my 2.8ghz P4, 1gb of RAM computer Adobe's site is painfully slow. I don't understand why they bought Macromedia out then made it so few people can even navigate the site let alone download the applications. Adobe needs to get their heads out of their collective behinds.

As far as your problem goes, I'd uninstall Flash altogether (if you have the old, it'll be called Macromedia Flash Player, if you have any of the newer releases it'll be called Adobe Flash Player via Add/Remove Programs. Also look in Downloaded Program Files (go to Internet Options, Settings button, View Objects). If it's there you can try updating it first (right-click on it and choose Update), if that doesn't work delete it altogether then try downloading it from scratch. Check Add/Remove Programs first though. -kd5-

Thanks for the replies.

I had Macromedia Shockwave Player and I removed that last night, now I have Adobe Shockwave Player. Is that the same thing? (Yes, I really am this clueless!)

EDIT: maybe this example will help:

on this page, http://allsaintsofficial.com/ the video plays in Firefox, but not if I open thew page in I.E.

Thanks kd5 for that tip about updating things in the Downloaded Program Files, when I was in there I noticed two things were 'damaged' - updated them and now they are both fixed. :beer:

Edited by SuicideToast

Flash & Shockwave are two separate players, both used to be by Macromedia, now they're both by Adobe. Flash is the one most people need to view animated websites, Shockwave if you play any little games that were created in Shockwave format. I usually install them both, just because... :P -kd5-

Thanks for the replies.

I had Macromedia Shockwave Player and I removed that last night, now I have Adobe Shockwave Player. Is that the same thing? (Yes, I really am this clueless!)

EDIT: maybe this example will help:

on this page, http://allsaintsofficial.com/ the video plays in Firefox, but not if I open thew page in I.E.

Thanks kd5 for that tip about updating things in the Downloaded Program Files, when I was in there I noticed two things were 'damaged' - updated them and now they are both fixed. :beer:

You need to install it using both browsers, you have the firefox plugin, now you need to go to their website in Internet Exploder.

Installing it in one browser does not enable it system wide.

Nope, I.E. is just not having it despite the fact that I go to the Adobe site and it tells me it has successfully installed. Shockwave is showing in 'Add remove programs' but no Flash.

Another example:

On the MTV site, http://www.mtv.co.uk/ I can see the bit where it says 'Latest' on the right near the top in Firefox, in I.E. it says, You are seeing this message because you do not have the required version of the Flash plugin installed.Click here to download.

To add to the confusion, if I go to this page and click on 'Watch today's MTV News bulletins...' I can't see the video with either browser.

In FF I get this message:

The required ActiveX Firefox plugin may not be compatible with your version of the browser. Please get the latest version of Firefox and/or download the required 1.5 + plug-in.

I tried to download the plug-in only to get a message saying 'Windows can't open this file'.

In I.E. I get this:

You need to upgrade your Flash Player.

When I try that nothing seems to happen despite getting confirmation that Flash has been successfully installed.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit stuck, I keep getting little promps from websites telling me to update Flash, yet when I try to it just won't install. I wondered if it was because I kept refusing to take the Yahoo! toolbar, so I ticked the box to install that - that did install, but still the Flash won't work.

It seems - as far as I can tell to be OK for Firefox, but not I.E. Is there something really obvious I'm missing, or are 'terrible things' afoot in my PC?

Grateful for any help, thanks.

I am having the exact same problem, with one exception. Originally, I did go back into Control Panel and uninstalled the Macromedia Flash Player and reinstalled Adobe. It worked fine...for a while. Now, I am having the exact same problem, but THERE IS NO ADOBE FLASH PLAYER IN MY PROGRAMS TO UNINSTALL!!!!! There is no "Flash" program period. I've dl'd the Adobe Flash about 5 times now-- and nothing. And since there is nothing to uninstall in my Programs list, I've hit a wall. Anyone have suggestions?

Hi Suicide Toast,wltdnfaded,

I had same problem did search for files and folders typed Flash when it had finished there was a file named setup right clicked open it then asked if i wanted to install Activex i clicked yes it then worked i tried it on bbc.co.uk and youtube both ok.......

Hope this helps

Regards pacman123

Edited by pacman123
  • 1 year later...

:wp:

You will need to use the Adobe uninstaller:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...cfm?id=tn_14157

Once it's cleaned out, reinstall with a new copy of the Flash player.

The Flash player breaks so often I keep a copy of the uninstaller on my desktop.

Thank you!!! For half a year I've been trying not to get insane every time a program crashed or malfunctioned because of different problems caused by improper flash version / installation / ... and after countless reinstallations without any change (I don't really know what caused the problems, browsers worked fine with flash). I used the uninstallator, which I never knew even existed, installed the flash again and voilá! Everything works just fine :lol:

Thanks again and then even more! You saved me from eventually having to reinstall those damned XPs!

Find "uninstall_flash_player.exe" on the Adobe website and run it to fully unistall whatever version of Flash you have before installing latest version which is 9.0.124.0

Even with latest version installed, some sites still say update required.