Change Mode

A totally cool Firefox's GIF-animating related trick

I just thought to let you know about this awesome Firefox trick related to animated GIFs (.gif format of file); you see, the thing is that one just needs to hit the Escape button to stop these GIFs animating (btw. I've just found out that it works in Internet Explorer too); I think that it works only on the current page/tab that one is on (i.e. the one with focus), and not on the whole window (or even the whole Firefox instance, i.e. all tabs + all windows or in other words for the one particular "firefox.exe" process)

If you want to, check out the related Firefox. Arrrgh! Why! FFS thread, in particular this trick is mentioned in this Happysin's post (where I first saw it, btw. my nick is "shirker" on Ars), while optionally also see expresses of gratitude below his post from other users (me included) that also didn't know for it to that very moment.

regards, moocher

/edited: added an Internet Explorer note

Edited by moocher

I just thought to let you know about this awesome Firefox trick related to animated GIFs (.gif format of file); you see, the thing is that one just needs to hit the Escape button to stop these GIFs animating (btw. I've just found out that it works in Internet Explorer too); I think that it works only on the current page/tab that one is on (i.e. the one with focus), and not on the whole window (or even the whole Firefox instance, i.e. all tabs + all windows or in other words for the one particular "firefox.exe" process)

If you want to, check out the related Firefox. Arrrgh! Why! FFS thread, in particular this trick is mentioned in this Happysin's post (where I first saw it, btw. my nick is "shirker" on Ars), while optionally also see expresses of gratitude below his post from other users (me included) that also didn't know for it to that very moment.

regards, moocher

/edited: added an Internet Explorer note

or you could just get Adblock and filterset g :P

good tip for new users i guess.