Sign in to follow this  
mattrmiller

Vista: Not an XP Replacement

Well so far it's like anything new. The normal teething pains, and just enough changes to make me think twice about what I'm doing. In my case that's not always a bad thing. It will probably be a while before I buy it. With XP I rushed out and bought it as soon as it was available. I think I'll enjoy XP a little longer. :)

My opinion is that Vista is going to fail. It is more expensive than XP in two ways. Microsoft is charging more for the new OS and also it requires more hardware than XP. Plus it doesn't do anything that I want. The main problem with Windows in my view is security.

Since I am in Brazil, this will be the first year I won't go home to my parents for Xmas in my life. I will miss my parents, but I will not missing spending at least a day fixing all my parents computers because Windows is so screwed up. Somehow I think this problem is going to get worse with Vista not better, because their driver model is totally changed.

But Rob, Steve Ballmar claims that they are the world experts on security and that Vista will be the best thing since sliced bread :laughing:

Roger McNamee posed Mr. Ballmer with a question:

"So give us a sense of on the security side, are we going to be done with the current generation of worms and viruses ... while the hackers figure out the next opportunity?"

Mr. Ballmer's answer has been the talk of security circles since. Ballmer replied:

"Subject to the tolerance levels of the fact that there might still be a small amount of human error, we will have eliminated the known attack vectors that people use against us today. You've got to understand today we're the world experts in how hackers attack."

So you see, Microsoft has eliminated all the threats and they are the defacto experts on security issues! :geezer::clap::surrender:

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=1...'+for+Vista

Oooops, Steve must not be following what the less educated and uninformed have to say. :P Of course we should all ignore everything other then Steve's wisdom on the matter, after all he is the expert. :blink:

Burlington, Massachusetts-based security firm Sophos, whose labs have been testing Vista, on Thursday released a top 10 list of virus concerns. The researcher said that Vista is already vulnerable via web email to the Stratio-Zip worm, which is the most widely circulated piece of malware.

Stratio-Zip worm allows an intruder to gain access to and move in and out of a network without being noticed. The hacker's activity is encrypted and undetectable to the average person. The computer that is infected with Stratio-Zip can be turned into a so-called node and that computer can become the hacker’s computer.

Edited by Bruce

Fail as in it doesn't last long as the number one consumer operating system or fail as in "they spent way too much money proping that thing up"?

They spent 7 billion dollars just developing the thing, that does not include the 5 year marketing that they have been doing.................

It was a failure when they started, it doesn't have 1/3 of the features it was originally supposed to.

Of course it will remain the number one desktop OS. The I need a new toaster crowd wouldn't know the difference, or have it any other way. ;)

i still stand by my last post, i dont see anything new besides looks!

when i tested the RC it shows me what the complete version will be based on, "XP" with better looks, i see a slight bit of security at an administrative level, in the future it can be compromised and a attacker will have administrative access similar to xp.

dell/ ho/ hewlet packard/ compaq will sale computers with full administrative access from the start because thats windows design by default, microsoft do not think there responsible for this inconsistency, they are in fact responsible for giving hackers administrative privages because your average pc novice wont know what this level of security is, there not even warned running at that access level!

i think the operating system is worth 90 dollars, anymore than that the system needs applications and configured for security by microsoft and not there customers.

-duanester-

Edited by duanester

bb thats the slight bit of security i mentioned

i see a slight bit of security at an administrative level, in the future it can be compromised and a attacker will have administrative access similar to xp.

but would you really call it a warning?

i call it do or do nothing "at all" :lol:

i still stand by my last post, i dont see anything new besides looks!

when i tested the RC it shows me what the complete version will be based on, "XP" with better looks, i see a slight bit of security at an administrative level, in the future it can be compromised and a attacker will have administrative access similar to xp.

Well your wrong.

It is not based o XP, 2000 or anything else. Unlike it's predecessors it is a new kernel from the ground up, having nothing or very little in common with XP/2000.

i beg to differ!

the kernel? well you need apps and drivers that will work on vista, this was never an issue and the only difference from xp.

edit: thats nothing remarkable about vista, do you see any changes beyond that?

Edited by duanester

bb thanks for the link but i think you are not understanding my point, and regarding most of those new features! the novice wouldnt even notice them :lol:

bb the operating system is the same, just like xp, its a vault left open with no security guards and a correctional facility right next door :rofl2:

i agree bb that is pretty dam cool, im hoping they secure there systems by default and a novice must be able to operate it as well!

im awaiting the final release to pass further jugment :mrgreen:

hey bruce theres nothing to fall down about, ofcourse there not the same :rolleyes:

Where I see a rub is for the novice user who buys a computer with the least expensive version of Vista and will disappointed because they will expect all the bell and whistles the ads promise :crash:

Most of the folks posting in this thread are thoughtful savvy users that's not true of most computer users nor is it true of those that will be early adopters of Vista :geezer:

MS is going to have a tough sell to businesses and will at least at first depend on the retail user for cash flow.

Though I have the hardware to support Vista and ran both beta and rc1 was not overly impressed with Vista. Certainly not enough to pay +$300 for an operating system. But then I didn't buy a retail version of XP rather bought OEM versions.