Sign in to follow this  
DK64_MASTER

Hate Adobe Acrobat Reader?

For the newbies, correction. Uninstall it, not Delete it.

That is correct, but only since the latest update of FoxIT Reader. The previous version(s) didn't install, they added a few new features to the free version that used to be in the Pro and now requires it to be installed. Still with folder size of only 3.7 mb, it is a damn sight smaller than what Acrobat takes up (that and the almost instant open of a pdf file is a bonus).

That is correct, but only since the latest update of FoxIT Reader. The previous version(s) didn't install, they added a few new features to the free version that used to be in the Pro and now requires it to be installed. Still with folder size of only 3.7 mb, it is a damn sight smaller than what Acrobat takes up (that and the almost instant open of a pdf file is a bonus).

Thanks for the information. :) Foxit just keeps on getting better and better as time goes on!

Well, I downloaded this reader this morning and thought I'd try it out...

I typically download manuals for new products I buy (digital camera, surround sound system, etc) and they're always PDF files. So I opened one to assure they're were no printing issues. It works great - I chose a single page from the middle of one and then chose 3 consecutive pages from another. They printed easily.

I have/had used Adobe for years without any problems. But I never understood why it was such a large software program for just reading PDF files. No more wondering, it will be gone shortly. Thanks for the tip and the link -- very well worth it.

Edited by geewhiz

Well, I downloaded this reader this morning and thought I'd try it out...

I typically download manuals for new products I buy (digital camera, surround sound system, etc) and they're always PDF files. So I opened one to assure they're were no printing issues. It works great - I chose a single page from the middle of one and then chose 3 consecutive pages from another. They printed easily.

I have/had used Adobe for years without any problems. But I never understood why it was such a large software program for just reading PDF files. No more wondering, it will be gone shortly. Thanks for the tip and the link -- very well worth it.

Just curious, what printer do you have? hp?canon etc? I have some issues with an hP750 psc when using Foxit and a pdf file.

Just curious, what printer do you have? hp?canon etc? I have some issues with an hP750 psc when using Foxit and a pdf file.

I have two printers hooked up to my computer:

My primary (default) printer is a brother HL-1440 laser. Practically all of my printing goes to this one - I've found it to be inexpensive and reliable

My secondary printer is an HP photosmart 7660. I use it occasionally - mainly for maps, flow charts, graphs, and sometimes photos.

I had only tried Foxit on the laser, but your query made me curios so I tried it on the inkjet. Prints just as it should to both of them.

For the record, I have a Canon IP3000. No issues. What issues do you have with your HP printer?

hp 750 psc . Some pdfs print and some do not. quite aggravating when it will print page one and not page two. foxit is working on it and sends me different builds. still to no avail. will gladly get their pro version when all is worked out.

ok all this sounds great however I use Adobe Pro how would this help me with the PDF that i have to make and adjust? Should i jsut stay with Pro?

As for my wifes computer i am removing Adobe and adding this. tired of hitting the adobe endnow 5 times when i try to restart pc

ok all this sounds great however I use Adobe Pro how would this help me with the PDF that i have to make and adjust? Should i jsut stay with Pro?

As for my wifes computer i am removing Adobe and adding this. tired of hitting the adobe endnow 5 times when i try to restart pc

Use Open Office. You can save as pdf.

Foxit also has a PDF Creator and a PDF Editor that you should be able to download for evaluation by using the "check for updates" feature in the "help" button.

Thanks for the tip! I completely agree with your post. Adobe Reader is bloated, slow and painful to install/uninstall. Foxit PDF Reader is a much better alternative. No splash screens, no lag and no annoying installation process. I've stumbled across an Adobe Acrobat alternative too, Nitro PDF Professional www.nitropdf.com. I'm testing the trial atm and have been pretty impressed. It allows you to add/change text and images, stick post-it notes and create interactive PDF forms. Pretty sure I am going to buy a license and loose Adobe altogether...!!!!

I hate Acrobat Reader with a passion. You need to use a download center to get a 50MB file that displays PDFs, that often crashes, and loads really slowly.

Try out Foxit PDF Reader:

http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3...4-10313206.html

Your PDFs will load MUCH faster, it uses less memory, and the install is only 1.19MB. I couldn't believe it when I first tried it out. So far, I have found no bugs and I read about 3-5 PDFs a day, and I've been using it for 6 months.

So, if you really like this software, uninstall adobe reader 7.0, and get rid of the bloatware on your PC. Try it out, and you'll never go back!

I zapped Adobe (I hate it, too!) and downloaded Foxit. I think I'm going to be a lot happier from now on! Thanks for everyone's help. What a blessing! I just paid a guy $60 last week to fix that problem along with some others. He fixed everything but the Adobe thing. Had no idea, like me, how to fix it. I'm gonna call him and let HIM know about Foxit!

g'nite folks. Again, thanks for everything!

Believe it or not, I use both. I do have printing problems with Foxit and I open lots of PDFs online. Adobe is good but not the best. I usually use foxit for offline browsing.

----

custom printing

I went to their site a couple of days ago to make sure that it works with Vista (it does) and found that they recently released version 2.0 build 1606. I had V2 but it was an earlier build. I've never had printing problems so I don't know if this will help you or not, but it may. I like the was you can type into PDF forms, very nice.

Foxit

pretty cool.

even the license for pdf creator is not expensive.

They have other languages, the portuguese version is not full translated, but, I'm happy, they are working in it.

for sure, it's faster then adobe.

Ever since i come to know about this soft I have been using this and is fully satisfied with it. It's not only a single exe portable file it takes up less resource and is much faster than Acrobat.

Well, there is another thing you can download is PDF Editor which also works pretty well the way it's predecessor, namely Foxit PDF Editor.

Long live FOXIT :)