Change Mode

The PC De-Crapifier

PORTHOS

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

I

n an effort to expand the De-Crapifier tool beyond just Dell machines, it’s getting a new name: The PC De-Crapifier. I’ve been contemplating doing this for some time now, however an email from a Dell trademark representative tilted the scales to do it now Posted Image

The guy from Dell was very polite and courteous. I’m houring his request by removing their name from the name of my tool. I’ve seen many comments on my blog here and the Digg post about people complaining about HP/Compaq, IBM, Toshiba as well. So, I’m making this an equal opportunity De-Crapifier tool. If you happen to be manually De-Crapifying a machine and you want to help others avoid the same drudgery, see the PC De-Crapifier page to learn how to add your findings to the script.

The PC De-Crapifier is designed to remove a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. Before running, the user may select exactly what software should be removed. Currently, it is targeted for use on most Dell machines; however it will theoretically run on anything that has the software listed below.

Here you get get the latest download for the PC De-Crapifier and instructions for submitting your own contributions.

Latest Version

PC De-Crapifier v1.4

Updated 2006-07-09 Previous Version

PC De-Crapifier v1.3

Updated 2006-05-06

Each Zip file contains the source script and a compiled version. If you have anti-virus software, it will more than likely throw a fit when it sees the EXE. If you want to run the script from source you will also need

AutoIT If you want to do any development on the script, you will also want

SciTE Currently Uninstalls The user can select exactly what is uninstalled from the list below

• QuickBooks Trial
  • NetZero Installers
  • Earthlink Setup Files
  • Tiscali Internet Files
  • Wanadoo Europe Installer
  • Corel Photo Album 6
  • McAffee Personal Firewall
  • McAffee SpamKiller
  • McAffee VirusScan Online
  • McAffee Security Center
  • Google Desktop
  • Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
  • America Online 9.0 US Version
  • America Online 9.0 UK Version
  • Musicmatch Jukebox
  • Musicmatch Music Services
  • Get High Speed Internet!
  • Internet Service Offers Launcher
  • Norton Ghost 10.0
  • Search Assistant
  • MS Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
  • MS Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
  • Corel Word Perfect
  • Roxio RecordNow
  • Sonic DLA
  • Sonic Update Manager
  • Sonic RecordNow Audio
  • Sonic RecordNow Copy
  • Roxio MyDVD LE
  • Run Registry Keys:
  • “BuildBU” - Part of Dell Alerts which provides customers with an update on latest updates. Can be run manually as needed
  • “DVDLauncher” - Belongs to the Cyberlink PowerCinema video viewing software which allows you to play DVDs on insertation. This program is a non-essential process, and is installed for ease of use.
  • “ISUSPM Startup” and “ISUSScheduler” - InstallShield Update Service Scheduler. Automatically searches for and performs any updates to the software. Can be run manually.
  • “msci” - Used for McAffee Security Center
  • “MSKDetectorExe” - Part of McAfee Spamkiller
  • “QBReminderFlash” - QuickBooks
  • “QuickTime Task” - Tray icon that you can use for quick access to the QuickTime application and additional settings. Can be run manually.
  • “RealTray” - Tray icon that you can use for quick access to the Real Player application and additional settings. Can be run manually.
  • “SunJavaUpdateSched” - Updater for the Java Runtime Envronment. Can be run manually
  • “DellSupport” - Agent that offers additional support and update features for your Dell computer or laptop. Can be run manually.
I can’t emphasize enough that you use this script at YOUR OWN RISK. If it hoses up your machine in any way, I’m not responsible! But Enjoy!

the recovery cd's i've found out aren't pacakged w/ crap. they are infact th enormal operating system, tweaked a bit for ease and quickness of final configuration during install.

when you reformat, to get the extra crap back, you have to insert the dell software and driver cd, something i DONT recomend doing.

hell, the driver cd they gave me doesn't even have the drivers for this laptop on it, lmao

LMAO! The first thing I did when I got my laptop was to look for the product key sticker, Copy the driver folder and apps installation folder to a USB drive and stick in an XP pro CD and format the :filtered:! :laughing:

Isn't this what everyone does? :huh::blink:

:blink:

I know Sony and Toshiba ensure that the drivers are there for you on their laptop or on an accompanying CD. Sony are cheapskates and do even give you a recovery or utility CD, instead they give you a utility to create one but you need to provide the media (Blank disc). They put the drivers and apps on a folder on the C:\ drive.

DeLL drivers can be found on their website quite easily by choosing your system model and SN or Service tag num.

Edited by Intratech

Er, I highly doubt that this is going to make much of a difference based on the throughput we see at my workplace of PCs laden with most of the crap they came with from the OEM... as well as spyware/malware that they repeatedly install even after being given advise on how not to have they same problem again. Hell I gladly fix it for them as long as they shell out the money and for this I thank M$.