Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glen

Computer will not start after Optimize

I just ran Optimize and at the end it said it had to reboot... It shut down and started to reboot, but it will not start and all I get is a flashing cursor. F5 and F8 will not work to get into safe mode. How do I get my computer to start. It was slow before running Optimize but it did run. :pullhair:

I wasn't able to find a precedent with the same symptoms. What version of Optimize are you using?

If you haven't already, completely power the computer down, wait five or ten minutes, and restart.

If the problem persists, are you using Windows XP and do you have a CD? If yes, go into setup (BIOS) and set the computer to boot from the CD, if necessary. Then boot from the CD, and at the appropriate screen, hit the "R" key to boot into the Recovery Console. Once in there, run chkdsk /r to try to restore the drive.

What you are describing is consistent with a hard drive that's getting ready to fail. Do you know who the manuafacturer of the drive is? You can get the appropriate diagnostic tools and check out the drive in DOS.

Guest Guest

Shutting down for 10 minutes did not fix it. I ran chkdisk /r and it fixed some disk errors. It will start up again now. I guess I will have to replace my hard drive. Thank you for the help.