Change Mode

Can't rewrite a CDRW?

Iconoclast

Hi guys, I'm trying to burn some music onto a CDRW that I've got, and I know for a fact that I have a CD-rewritable burner because I've done it before. Anyways, right now I've got older music on the CDRW that I want to update by erasing all the files on the CDRW and burning new music on it. I know that when I've rewritten CDRW's before all I've had to do was go into My Computer, right-click on the drive that the CDRW is in, and click the thing that says "Erase files on disc" or something along those lines. But for some reason when I try to rewrite my CDRW's now, that option isn't there...it's like it doesn't recognize it as a CDRW, but it is one.

If anyone can help me solve this problem, it'd be much appreciated, I'd like to get these old songs off these CD's and get new ones on there.

PS - Yes, the problem occurs with more than one CDRW, it has happened with all the ones I have tried.

Edit: Okay, so here's the deal, I've got 4 CDRW's in total that I want to erase and burn new songs onto. The first two didn't give me the "Erase this CDRW" option when I right-clicked the drive they were in, but the third one did. It appeared to successfully erase the songs that were on that CDRW, and I'm currently burning new ones onto it. Once that's done, I'll try the fourth disc. Can anyone think of a reason that it lets me erase only certain CDRW's? And just to clarify, they are all CDRW's, I don't need people asking to make sure they're not CDR's, because they aren't.

Edited by SilverStorm

Ok here's something that may have been overlooked... When you burned to them the last time, are you sure you didn't accidently click the... "Finalize" option (if using Nero). This option will make it so that files can not be added later nor a CDRW erased..

For me it is checked by default cause I don't really use CD/RW's unless I need to... I have 5 of them for when I want to transfer things from laptop to desktop but other than that I don't use them... But in your case there's no telling if its by default or not unless you look into it on your own computer... But that could be your issue right there.

I think it's set to finalise by default for all that burn files unless creating a multi session disk, but assuming that the disks themselves are rewritable disks then finalising them makes no difference, you should be able to format them fine, I do it all the time, the only time finalising makes a difference is when your using a non rewritable disk, have you tried launching Nero and cancel any wizard, then select recorder then format rewritable disk from the top menu, that should wipe the disk ready for burning a new compilation, hope this helps.