Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Barbara_*

Optimizing Internet Connection Settings

Guest Guest_Barbara_*

I've had this PC Pitstop Optimize for a little for 2 months. After you choose to clear your temp files, etc., the next page has a box to mark to Optimize Internet Connection Settings....my box is ALWAYS greyed out. I cannot click on it. Never have been able to. I was gone on vacation for quite awhile and figured I'd deal with it when I got back....

I bought the program to assist with making my connection faster. It has actually slowed down.

Suggestions besides pitching the program, which is the next step

Guest Charles M. Romer

Uh-Oh!!

I just now -within the last 15 min- purchased this program (PC Pitstop Optimize) and after it made a number of changes (and I had to manually reboot because the program's auto reboot failed -- not too reassuring), I ran the PC Pitstop tests and, guess what?, I got this message:

"Your receive buffer size is currently set to the system default. The default value usually does not provide the best performance."

and then this advice:

"The safest and easiest fix is to use a product like PC Pitstop Optimize."

ME: Right. About now I feel like the guy who bought that famous bridge. I guess I will wait a day or two and if I can't get a usefull explanation I will see how the "money-back guarantee" works.

I've had this PC Pitstop Optimize for a little for 2 months. After you choose to clear your temp files, etc., the next page has a box to mark to Optimize Internet Connection Settings....my box is ALWAYS greyed out. I cannot click on it. Never have been able to. I was gone on vacation for quite awhile and figured I'd deal with it when I got back....

I bought the program to assist with making my connection faster. It has actually slowed down.

Suggestions besides pitching the program, which is the next step

:wp:

First make sure you have the latest version (1.5.9.4) which you can download and install from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp Click on the 'About' button on the first Optimize screen to see what version you have.

If your version is up to date, what ISP are you using and are you using any Internet 'booster' software? I suspect there is another program on your computer that has taken over the Internet settings and has effectively 'locked out' Optimize from having access.

Are there actually suggested changes in the large grayed out box, or does it say 'no problems found' at the very bottom of the page?

optimize.JPG

And finally, if you decide to pitch the program, please let us know here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp and your order will be refunded.

You will want to open the Optimize program and put a dot by 'restore system settings' and then run the program again to undo the changes Optimize made to your system. If that fails to correct the new slowness problem, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and restore your computer to the first restore point before Optimize was installed.

To uninstall the program, go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Optimize>uninstall PC Pitstop Optimize.

Uh-Oh!!

I just now -within the last 15 min- purchased this program (PC Pitstop Optimize) and after it made a number of changes (and I had to manually reboot because the program's auto reboot failed -- not too reassuring), I ran the PC Pitstop tests and, guess what?, I got this message:

"Your receive buffer size is currently set to the system default. The default value usually does not provide the best performance."

and then this advice:

"The safest and easiest fix is to use a product like PC Pitstop Optimize."

ME: Right. About now I feel like the guy who bought that famous bridge. I guess I will wait a day or two and if I can't get a usefull explanation I will see how the "money-back guarantee" works.

:wp:

The money-back guarantee works like this. You tell us you want a refund within 30 days of when you purchased the product and we return your money. Period. Refunds are handled through our customer service page: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

The manual reboot is actually a very good thing. Optimize detected a running program that it was unable to shut down. Forcing a reboot under such a condition is an almost sure way to corrupt the Windows installation. If Optimize is not 100% certain that it can safely reboot, it will put up the message you saw. Under a manual reboot, Windows will not shut itself down until it has safely ended all the necessary programs.

As to the receive buffer issue, if you are running Windows XP, make sure you are in an administrator account or an account with the necessary permissions to commit changes to the registry.

Are you running any Internet Booster software or any propietary software provided by your ISP that could immediately change back any adjustments Optimize makes?

What ISP are you using and what kind of connection do you have?