Change Mode

The 10 Commandments take the prize for August

Congratulations to Joe C, :clap::clap: our $100 winner for the month of August.

His post, The 10 Commandments of Internet will be included in the Tips 'n' Tricks section of the August newsletter.

Edited by I_G on 8/3/06: First published in the Spyware Weekly Newsletter, 12/10/2005:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/arch.../2005/dec10.php

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=122031

Thanks to everyone who has submitted an item! :tup:

Keep 'em coming!

I thought the tips listed here were great and I thought that last month's winning entry was also very worthwhile.

But I was wondering....how can I find the winning entries from earlier months? I did a forum search for 'pinned' and it brought it much much more than I was looking for. I then tried to see if I could do the same search for just Tips and Tricks but couldn't. Is there an easy way to find them?

You might consider making the cheque payable to the real author, Mike Healan of spywareinfo.com, who published the list in his Dec 10, 2005 newsletter.

Plagiarism is theft, and I'm not going to see someone profit from another's work without protest.

I don't see any violation here, it says your favorite tip or trick,he didn't say he wrote it. I would say that most of the things posted here were not invented by the poster. Congradulations Joe, the Pit picked yours and that is good enough for me. :tup:

You might consider making the cheque payable to the real author, Mike Healan of spywareinfo.com, who published the list in his Dec 10, 2005 newsletter.

Plagiarism is theft, and I'm not going to see someone profit from another's work without protest.

:thud: well then in that case about 90% of the tips in tricks in this forum is plagiarism because all of the posts posted here to help folks out are not created by the actual posters in the forum. This is NOT i created this tip and trick forum. It's sharing tips and tricks. So why don't you take your protest some place else.

Always has to be one person to drop in and try to spoil a good thread... :angry:

Congrats Joe!! :clap:

Protest noted. I would send the check to Mr. Healan, but he did not submit the information, Joe did.

I sincerely doubt that Joe's intent was to plagiarize something so easily discovered. I have edited the appropriate posts giving credit to Mr. Healan. The $100 prize is for posting the tip, not for creating an original one.

You make a valid point, however, and the failing is mine, not Joe C's. I already knew of the Spyware newsletter and was going to give the accredidation on 8/1/06, but due to what I considered more pressing matters, did not get it done. In the future, before announcing the winner, I will do a little research to make sure the winning tip is properly annotated, if necessary.

My apologies to Joe C for not doing the edit as soon as I knew of the existing source and my apologies to TomGL2 for not supplying the annotation in a timely manner.

IntelGuy, I appreciate your response and explanation, and the edits to include attribution.  For the record, I'll make my objections clear.

Joe didn't credit the source, which can leave the impression that he is the author.  It is copyrighted material, which Mr. Healan graciously allows to be reprinted, but only on the condition that a link to the original source page be included, a requirement which wasn't met.

My intention really wasn't to knock Joe (sorry, Joe, if I gave some other impression), and the suggestion to redirect payment to Mr. Healan wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  Most of the tips posted are relatively short, and appear for the most part to be in the poster's own words, although the exact quoting of very brief material without attribution is seldom an issue.  With longer material and particularly whole articles, however, I feel that one should not fail to credit the author or site.

Thanks again for addressing these concerns.  Feel free to delete this post after reading, and my initial message.

hmmm..an unexpected response from tom....

Over the years, I have come across many hints and tips that I felt were worth keeping. If in a magazine or the local Houston Chronicle I would normally go to their website and re find the article so that I could copy and paste the portion that had caught my eye. I have a Word folder set up where I store these -- and it never occurred to me to keep the author of these. They are for 'my eyes only' and I share them with folks who may have hit a dead end or need a different prospective for what they're dealing with.

Now I would be very hesitant to dig into this archive to share with people here since I can't possibly give the source. Getting scolded for trying to help would be a real downer.

Tom is probably right, but gosh - do you think Joe posted it for the money?

First, I'd like to thank the pit for using my favorite tip on the monthly newsletter

Tom.... I wasn't going to make a reply, but seeing as you did, I feel that I should have a say also,

This new forum is where Pitsters can share their favorite Tips 'n' Tricks

that was a favorite tip of mine, I thought that I'd share it

Everybody look through your notes and pick your best tips to share!

I hosnesly don't remember where I got it from, but I did have it saved

I believe that was your intention to knock me Tom, I know that we've gotten into disagreements in U2U in the past

And I believe your comment for redirect was ment to be taken seriously, or you wouldn't have said it, but in light of this, I will gladly make a donation the spyware info forums of $100

I'll admit ignorance about using not using the refference to Mike Healan, but peeps will be wrary about posting tips from here on out because of you

IntelGuy, I appreciate your response and explanation, and the edits to include attribution. For the record, I'll make my objections clear.

Joe didn't credit the source, which can leave the impression that he is the author. It is copyrighted material, which Mr. Healan graciously allows to be reprinted, but only on the condition that a link to the original source page be included, a requirement which wasn't met.

My intention really wasn't to knock Joe (sorry, Joe, if I gave some other impression), and the suggestion to redirect payment to Mr. Healan wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Most of the tips posted are relatively short, and appear for the most part to be in the poster's own words, although the exact quoting of very brief material without attribution is seldom an issue. With longer material and particularly whole articles, however, I feel that one should not fail to credit the author or site.

Thanks again for addressing these concerns. Feel free to delete this post after reading, and my initial message.

• 2 weeks later...