Change Mode

I always wanted a tattoo but have been putting it off for a while - probably because I was scared.

Well I went ahead and got one. It didnt hurt ... :mrgreen:

The cost was $220 and worth it - the shop I went to has been at the same location for 30 years and I actually got tattooed by the owner - they have alot of artists there but him and his son are the most popular..

http://www.shawstattoostudio.com/

Here it is...the picture is not great - was taken with a 1.3 MP camera on a PDA and its also just the day after so there is redness: http://www.webzila.com/miscstorage/img/tattoo.jpg

So what do people think of tattoos. Hate them, like them or just dont care.

I told everyone in my family but my dad because he just has some weird mentallity about tattoos that cant be changed - you cant even talk to him about it and he gets mad even if you mention it ... what a weirdo :pullhair:

Edited by aeroman10
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anyting against tattoos. Some of the tattos people get though are rediculous. In my preference a tattoo should not ALWAYS be visible either. Like something on the fore-arm, I just don't understand. Something on the upper are like you have or somewhere else that's hidden I can understand. I however will never get one. I just don't want to be stuck with it for the rest of my life. Yours looks good.

My dad actually just bougt a tatto gun and has a good friend thats been doing the tattoos for him. He's got a few small things now... . Tatto set was around $250.00 and it looks just as good as any professional work.

What does yours mean?

Their website sucks. :)

Edited by all4sma

Nah, I wont regret this tattoo..this design can never loose its meaning. Its not related to any one specific thing/theme/item/person/etc...Now people who get band tattoos (very specific), sport team logos, and names might regret it if in 20-30 those bands/artists/teams are no longer around or simply suck :P

Now as far as meaning of my tattoo..I dont know..you can pick many, The tribal sun obviously stands for the sun meaning that youre bright or have bright future, etc...the arrow is the shock logo and that may mean that although you maybe nice and bright, if people mess with you then you can be shocking .. hehe

I always wanted the shock symbol also because it may stand for "beware of electricity" and I am a computer engineering/electrical eng. graduate and thats my first degree...but the shock symbol on its own would be too plain as a tattoo so I put it inside the tribal sign..

The images come from:

Marilyn Manson ACSS Logo -- Shock Symbol

Godsmack Logo - Tribal Sun

Yes I do like those bands but then if they no longer exist the images have other more important meaning and to me they just look good so I dont mind looking at it everyday for the rest of my life :geezer:

Edited by aeroman10

I've got a few tattoos, and like yourself will never regret getting them, I took a long time looking for and designing what I have so they are original to me, I have 1 on my back, both upper arms and the left forearm, I'm currently looking for an original tiger design for my right forearm to complete the set.

I totally agree about anything to do with names\groups or similar, I even suggest don't get family names done, for many they may never have a problem but there can be those occasions where them family breaks down in such a way that you could regret it, about the only name I would agree with would be a pets name, your feelings to-wards a pet are more likely to stand the test of time not to mention the difference in lifespan for most pets compared to humans, your tattoo looks fine, but I wouldn't get a plain one personally, it would have to be colour, can't see the thing with these tribal tattoos that seem to be the rage lately, also when a person has so many tattoos you can't make them out (see any skin basically) from each other as that spoils what could be some good designs IMHO, but it is certainly something that should be given lots of thought, many do regret because they rush in, don't really think through the design they want, I've been searching for an original tiger design for several years now, I wont just get any tiger design because I want a tiger, it has to be the right one, thats exactly the sort of reason I can say I wont regret mine, because so much thought has gone into them.

Texas huh.Try and come to NY. Williamsburg.Might as well stay home and put another shock symbol up there.

Sorry dude I only speak my mind here but the first impression made me say it out loud.

Texas huh.Try and come to NY. Williamsburg.Might as well stay home and put another shock symbol up there.

Sorry dude I only speak my mind here but the first impression made me say it out loud.

I have no clue what you are trying to say. TX, NY, staying home, getting another shock symbol ... WTH?? :hammer::lol:

Wow, no offense dude but you got overcharged.

Not really. I chose to pay this amount because I want quality and make sure that its done right. So I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere but I chose to pay more.

Then of course you want to make sure that everything is clean.

There is a shop right by my house and they wanted $100 - they have been around 5 years.

You cant afford to have someone mess up on your tattoo or get it at some dirty place. I went with quality and the reputation by selecting the best and most respectable place in town.

Besides..alot of other shops I asked all charge approx. $150/hr for custom work -- same as the shop I went to.

Not really. I chose to pay this amount because I want quality and make sure that its done right. So I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere but I chose to pay more.

Then of course you want to make sure that everything is clean.

There is a shop right by my house and they wanted $100 - they have been around 5 years.

You cant afford to have someone mess up on your tattoo or get it at some dirty place. I went with quality and the reputation by selecting the best and most respectable place in town.

Besides..alot of other shops I asked all charge approx. $150/hr for custom work -- same as the shop I went to.

The picture on the previous post.. with my tattoo on my leg (alot bigger then yours), mine also has color, over 6 different colors+black and it took 2.5 hours to do. Not to mention im in Canada... but it cost me $300.00 cad. Your tattoo would of cost no more then $100.00 cad here.

Honestly.. if the place wasn't clean they would'nt be open for business.

Edited by strukt

The picture on the previous post.. with my tattoo on my leg (alot bigger then yours), mine also has color, over 6 different colors+black and it took 2.5 hours to do. Not to mention im in Canada... but it cost me $300.00 cad. Your tattoo would of cost no more then $100.00 cad here.

Honestly.. if the place wasn't clean they would'nt be open for business.

Oh yeah..I am sure I could of gotten it cheaper..infact I know I could because like I mentioned I went to other places to get some quotes. I just wanted to do this at this particular shop. Since I am new to tattoos I didnt know what to look for in shops and didnt really want to bargain over tattoo prices either :P

Smaller shops charge less it seems but bigger more popular places all seem to have a set rate of $150/hr with 2 hr minimum for custom work...ofcourse if you dont want custom you can pick what they already have available for much less.

I guess it's a good idea if you're trying to hide ugly skin but what about hair. Who wants to see a skull with hair growing out of it. Or a butterfly. Had a neighbor with a butterfly on her shoulder and all I could think about was, "man, she's got hair on her shoulders". I don't think hairy pics are cool. Course that's just me.

I guess it's a good idea if you're trying to hide ugly skin but what about hair. Who wants to see a skull with hair growing out of it. Or a butterfly. Had a neighbor with a butterfly on her shoulder and all I could think about was, "man, she's got hair on her shoulders". I don't think hairy pics are cool. Course that's just me.

Do you not have hair on your legs? Don't tell me you are one of those guys who has to have their entire body shaven.

:laughing:

Sounds to me like your a little bit anal about hair.

Edited by strukt

Hey...thats what Nair is for :mrgreen:

Bleh, i wouldnt want to be with a girl who has visible back and shoulder hair :S

I'm not sure who you're hanging around Shogan but i think they live a little to close to a nuclear facility :)

Edited by strukt

Congratulations Aeroman. And it's preferences and whatever trips your trigger. It's your business and your body.

The thing I always thought about tattoos is why would you put something on your body that you wouldn't hang on your wall. But that's just me. The other scary thing I read a while back is whats it going to look like in 30 or 40 years with these flabby armed old women with tattoos. :yikes: And I didn't intend to offend the women, but there has always been flabby old men with tattoos. :lol:

Cool.

I'm not against tattoos, but the only one i would ever get is one that says ..

Ancient and Loyal

WRLFC

That's it .. Either, on my chest (near my heart) or at the bottom of leg ..

Basically the "slogan" used to be on the Wigan coat of Arms, but that got updated a while back. However the rugby team still use it in their badge and have done for over 100 years ..

And it means a lot to me :)

Bleh, i wouldnt want to be with a girl who has visible back and shoulder hair :S

I'm not sure who you're hanging around Shogan but i think they live a little to close to a nuclear facility :)

HaHa, I'm 60. You wouldn't want to be with any of the people I hang around with. Shoulder hair is the least of the problems. :rofl2:

So what do people think of tattoos. Hate them, like them or just dont care.

I told everyone in my family but my dad because he just has some weird mentality about tattoos that can't be changed - you can't even talk to him about it and he gets mad even if you mention it ... what a weirdo :pullhair:

Since you ask...I hate 'um but that's just my opinion. I remember when I was in my 20's thinking a small one on my rear would be cool but I'm very glad that I didn't get one. The problem I have with younger people getting tattoos is that I remember the things I liked when I was in my 20's and they are so drastically different now than when I was in my 20's that I shudder to think if I had gotten a tattoo and how bad I'd hate it now and couldn't get rid of it. But to each his own...I don't have to like them...there's a lot of things I don't like and nobody gives a RA. :rolleyes: The other day there were 2 very attractive women in their early twenties...either sisters or twins...I'm not sure...but they had way too many tattoos and one of the women had a huge tattoo(probably 10 inches tall) on her lower leg of an anime character...OH won't she love that when she's in her 40's. :yucky: JMHO

Just got some new ink myself.

Before:

http://home.comcast.net/~hmmrslmmr/before.jpg

After:

http://home.comcast.net/~hmmrslmmr/after.jpg

:mrgreen:

Two questions. How in the world did the tattoo artist change that flag into the kitty!? I'm impressed. :surrender: And why'd you change it?

The idea of gettin a tattoo went out the door when I found out that the laser removal machines have a hard time with differentiating between tattoo and skin for us darker complected folk. There's been some cases of people getting burnt because it got confused. I'll stick with the temporaries. :lol:

i have a total of 11 tats i have a back peice that i sat through 3 sessions of 6-8 hrs each both left n right arms are half sleaves al the way around my right leg has the tool wrench from the back of my knee to the anckle my left leg has a trible peice from ankle to knee all the way around it colored red behind it so there no skin showing i have my stomach done as well alltogether bout 250hrs and 15,000$ spent on them planing on getting the tribal peice up the rest of my leg and finish around my left shoulder :rocks: tats rock

Some really nice ink here! Strukt I really like the colors in yours. Thats one nice piece of work!

Hammer... great coverup. Thats a hell of a piece and it looks great.

Cool tribal aero. I don't think you got ripped off.. a real black tribal has alot of ink in it in order to make it true black. You may even have to return and get it gone over again just to make sure there are no blowouts in it. To have a true tribal piece look as it should sometimes it takes repeated visits to make it uniform and deep black.

In the tattoo industry cheaper does not indicate better. I only have custom work myself. I have four. Small ones on each shoulder ( a tribal butterfly, and a celtic cross) One around my navel (a ring of morning glories with a fairy holding the ends of the vines together) and one fairly large lower back piece that is morning glories with a big iris in the center. None of mine are visible unless I want them to be seen.

I personally could not walk in and just pick out something from the flash (pages of choices to pick from) and it mean nothing to me however Flash is usually a tattoo artists bread and butter so to speak to make steady cash.

I prefer to have mine custom drawn and for them to have a meaning to me.... but to each their own in that department. My best friend is a tattoo artist and I have worked in his shop off and on for years. he says it is an honor that a part of him will be with that person always.

judgemental people can jump off a cliff far as I am concerned. I don't give two shizolas whether they like my tats or not. And no I will never regret mine. later in life my grandkids will think grannie is hella cool with her ink.

Its a personal choice and afterall it is your body to do with what you wish. I have friends completely sleeved out on each arm and most of their bodies covered and I find them far more appealing than people who have a stick up their butt about it.

If you base liking or hating somebody by their outer shell instead of who they are inside I figure you aren't worth knowing anyway. ;)

Nice ink guys... :rocks:

Edited by TracyLynn