Change Mode

Updateing My Drivers

Hello again to all! It has been brought to my attention by another pitster that my drivers on this computer are 3 years old and need updateing and do not know how to do so o even have a clue as to where to start. Any and all help thanked for in advanced!

Edited by CowboyMike

The best place would be to got the manufactures web site and check for updated drivers and download them to an empty folder, then once you have them go back to the device manager and when updating and your asked if you want to choose the location for the update choose the folder with the updated drivers.

It is also a good idea to save the drivers you know that work as well

The best place would be to got the manufactures web site and check for updated drivers and download them to an empty folder, then once you have them go back to the device manager and when updating and your asked if you want to choose the location for the update choose the folder with the updated drivers.

It is also a good idea to save the drivers you know that work as well

Great thanks for the help/info how ever I know what my MB is and my Video card thats it.....

my MB is a Dragon Soyo Light Px400 and my Video is a ATI All In WOnder 9600 Remote WOnder Video

What and where to go from here?

A pit test will tell you most everything you need to know

I have also sent you a link to aida32 in your pm's

Want to try again on the motherboard model, that number is not listed on Soyo's site. And a google search brings up all kinds of things, but not a Soyo motherboard. If you don't have it already download this,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

and it should be able to tell you what hardware you have. As for the video card you can get the drivers from here,

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...amp;folderID=27

Unles you are trying to play any of the latest games on your card, I wouls only go for something in the 5.10-5.12 Catalyst range (click on previous drivers from the menu on the left on that page). You will need to download the All-in-Wonder drivers if you want to keep/use the TV part of the card.

A couple of things about updating drivers, are you doing this just because it has been a while, or because somethings aren't working quite right? All things considering, if everything is working OK, I wouldn't bother, unless there is something in the release notes for the driver(s) that addresses any issue(s) you may be having.

Also Bear is on the right track about saving the downloads to a folder (makes it easier to find them after, and neater), but wrong (sorry Bear) about how to install them. It has been a long time since I have seen any driver downloads that didn't come in the form of an exe, that only requires a double click to start the installer (which can be anywhere on the computer), no need to go through Device Manager to install. Also to install through DM, you will in all likelyhood have to extract the exe (using something like Winrar, and if it can even be done (most but not all of the drivers I use this can be done)). Then if you want to install the driver through DM you click on update driver and point it to either the inf that is in the unpacked driver file, or the folder that contains the inf (can vary from driver to driver for this step).

Remeber we are talking Windblows here :)

when was the last time you installed a new driver only to find various

problems installing. I suggested running from the folder so windblows

can find the proper file with out fuss.

problems installing.

Personally, been a couple of years at least.

I suggested running from the folder so windblows

And that won't work unless you have unpacked the drivers exe file beforehand (at least in XP). If you try updating drivers through Device Manager in XP, unless there is an inf file in the folder you are pointing the update wizard too, it won't work (just tried it with the 5 or 6 diver files I have on hand, and the only folders that the wizard would allow me to prceed on where the ones that had been unpacked/extracted from the exe). Only problem is, most downloaded driver files are an exe (with the vary rare one that comes as a zip or rar (which still needs to be uncompressed first).

Remeber we are talking Windblows here :)

problems installing. I suggested running from the folder so windblows

There is a issue I downloaded that stuff how ever like I posted in my other post I can not access it and my computer locks up and I have to restart manually. So I have a issue with this......

Hello again to all! It has been brought to my attention by another pitster that my drivers on this computer are 3 years old and need updateing and do not know how to do so o even have a clue as to where to start. Any and all help thanked for in advanced!

Does your computer function as you`d expect it to ?

If it does then why update drivers at all ?

Does your computer function as you`d expect it to ?

If it does then why update drivers at all ?

True enough, I guess the first qestion should have been why the driver update?

Nope in fact it is acting up!

take and post a test and any details about whats going on

this is assuming you have run the various scans already

Personally, been a couple of years at least.

And that won't work unless you have unpacked the drivers exe file beforehand (at least in XP). If you try updating drivers through Device Manager in XP, unless there is an inf file in the folder you are pointing the update wizard too, it won't work (just tried it with the 5 or 6 diver files I have on hand, and the only folders that the wizard would allow me to prceed on where the ones that had been unpacked/extracted from the exe). Only problem is, most downloaded driver files are an exe (with the vary rare one that comes as a zip or rar (which still needs to be uncompressed first).

SO you just out to get me today :)

When I posted that i took in to consideration that a large number of people

1. Have no clue where there d/l go to

2. Have thier computers so messed up that the wizards seldom work if at all

3. Have not updated in ages and new drivers may have to be forced to install

Or as in this case there is more than meets the eye.

From your other thread

These issues started happening since I switched my ISP from Comcast to DSL (yahoo/sbc) last week and has been getting worse and worse ever since nothing else has changed on my system exsept that the ISP. What do I do and be glad to provide any more info if needed.

You did remeber to re-set your internet settings right?

Edited by The Bear

Maybe I'm the lucky one. Then again I have never instalkled drivers using the update driver feature/option in Device Manager, always just use the downloaded exe (or the setup.exe if the driver file comes as a zip or rar file).

And no I'm not out to get you Bear, just saying that trying to use the update option in DM won't work if the driver file is an exe.

SO you just out to get me today :)

When I posted that i took in to consideration that a large number of people

1. Have no clue where there d/l go to

2. Have thier computers so messed up that the wizards seldom work if at all

3. Have not updated in ages and new drivers may have to be forced to install

Or as in this case there is more than meets the eye.

No I have not reset my internet settings how do I do that besides it is the programs that is the issue

Just one word of advice - dont be tempted to use the link to the driver scan on this site. I used it once and regretted it. I was told that 50% of my drivers were bad and I nearly had a heart attack. The information was a load of rubbish. Its designed to get people to pay for driver updates when they can obtained from the manufacturers websites for free.