Sign in to follow this  
cd3707

HELP !

:angry: I am a novice here- 1st time asking for help.

Hate to say it but I purchased the pc pitstop optimize last friday -ran the scan and let it "fix my problems"

I thought it would just help my system run smoother and faster on web. Well since that "fix" -my system is all screwed up!!! It freezes when I try to run programs or get on the internet thru my normal sbc yahoo browser. I am on now thru Int Explorer- but it will freeze again if I try to do too many things at once. All the icons on my desktop wont load up. My system will not do a proper shutdown- have to manual shutdown. This is only a 1yr old dell deminsion- of course I have called dell and they are too busy. I really think this software screwed up my pc!!!! I have sent an email to cust service here with no response. I dont have hundreds of dollars to have someone fix this! Anybody have any ideas?

Also I found registrysmart.com and it ran a scan =sd there were over 500 errors on my system, but when I try to get it to fix the problems it freezes up. I have done a restore 2 times- no fix. Thinking of complete reinstall but I will lose everything becuz of course it wont let me backup anything. AAAGHHHHHH!!!!!

HELP!!!!

:wp:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Your Optimize order has been refunded.

I don't know where your email went, but we respond to all helpdesk contacts within 24 hours, usually much sooner: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

You state that you have "done a restore 2 times". If that is the "restore system settings" from the first screen of Optimize, it is time to do a Windows System Restore to a point prior to 7/21/06 . Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

If that fails to fix the problem, there is something else going on as that will remove all traces of Optimize and completely remove all changes that it made.

Have you tried to back up from safe mode?

Well thanks for the refund, I appreciate it. I have done the windows restore 2 x's, and I went back further than the optimze install. I have not tried the backup from safe mode- a little scared. I used to be quite good at this stuff but have not done it in years and rusty. When I purchased this dell, they did not include os disk but say to go to owners manual and do a full pc restore- well my system cant even find the owners manual to do that. I have my own xp disk I had previously purchased for old pc, but if I install it and cant backup I will lose everything right? If I do the backup from safe mode and then install my xp disk will it save any of my documents? At this point, I almost dont care about -- what the?

ok while I was typing this my system just shut down and then I hit the on button and it came right back up to this.... is there an alien in here?

What is going on? I was trying to explain my frustration, with dell and computers in general.

Is there a pc out there better than all the rest? I guess I should also purchase a spyware and adware software to make sure nothing else happens huh?

Is there a program I can buy that will protect me from everything? viruses, spyware and everything else I dont know about?

I have the norton that came on the pc and is still supposed to be in effect, not sure if it is doing its job.

I went to IObit.com and did that scan and it sd fixed some problems- I guess I better play around and see if it really did. :sparkle:

If your XP disk is the same version as what's on the computer, Pro, Home, SP1, SP2, OEM, Retail, etc, you should be able to do a "repair install" and only lose a few of the proprietary Dell items.

You will need to use the Dell license key that came with the computer. Chances are that the Dell came with an OEM version and your disk is a retail, but it can't hurt anything to try. Just read the prompts and use F3 to bail out if anything doesn't look right.

This is one of the best tutorials around about how to do a repair: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You should first run some malware scans. Ewido and Panda are two of the best:

http://www.ewido.net/en/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/acti...CACHEHINT=Guest

Ewido will actually fix things if you use the free scan, Panda will show you where they are so you can fix them manually.

There are several "Security Suites" available on the market that do a pretty good job, but you may want to have a look here at all the freeware applications that will do the same thing for you:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=61975

Thank you soooo much for the info- I really appreciate it! I will start with the scans first. Yes my xp is retail version - and I am pretty sure the dell is OEM. What exactly does that mean? I will also do the tutorial 1st before I try this. Again thank you so much!! I will recommend your site to my friends!

Also, do you have any idea where I would find the dell license key?

It should be on the case printed on a Genuine Windows holographic sticker.

If not, you can use the Magical Jellybean Key Finder to recover it off your system:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Generally OEM means Windows can be installed to one computer, period, and support comes from the manufacturer. Retail means Windows can be uninstalled and reinstalled to a different computer, (it can be on one computer at a time), and support comes from Microsoft.

Depending on what Dell has done to their version of Windows, you may not be able to do a repair or upgrade install with a retail CD to the OEM Dell installation. It won't hurt anything to try. It will just give you a message that it is not compatible, or will not offer to repair your existing installation. In either case, you can hit F3 and cancel the installation.

It has been a while since I have done this, so the details may be a bit off.