Change Mode

Running chkdsk on external HDD

Is it OK to run chkdsk on an external HDD without causing any problems or loss of information?

Yes, and if it is a performance issue you are concerned with and chkdsk finds no errors, try defragging the drive.

Open a command prompt window (Click Start > Choose Run > Type 'chkdsk x:' (where x: is the drive letter of the USB / 1394 drive). If chkdsk reports any errors then read the suggestions provided.

Thanks for the replies.

My external HDD (actually an internal HDD enclosed in an external case) is used for backup. I use a program called SyncBack to backup from my internal HDD to the external HDD. From the external HDD I copy Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows to DVD for extra backup, in case something goes wrong.

I'm not sure of the backup tool duanester mentions. I have an HP Pavilion that can with Windows Home preinstalled. Needless to say the orginal Windows CD was not included with the PC (I have a lousey recovery partition), so I am unable to install the backup tool that comes with the CD. I know with Windows Pro this backup tool is installed right from the start.

Is this the tool duanester mentions?

I also use Acronis TI 8 for cloning the internal HDD.

Again, thanks for the replies.