Change Mode

this is so BS, I was hoping it never happened. Well now they can try and buy nvidia lol :P .

I wonder whats going to happen to Intel crossfire boards, as well as amd nvidia boards, will nvidia still deal with amd, or it will Intel call nvidia back. :pullhair:

:)

Way to many rumors for not to be true.

We'll still have to wait a couple of years to see any "real" benfit from this.

It's official....

It was anounced on G4 today.....

"The company plans to build mobile and consumer electronics, as well as PC components"

It all makes sense now.....

Now we are gonna see cell phones and PDA's with AMD CPU's, and ATI GPU's I guess.....

wonder what this means for Intel since they are going with xfire not sli, now that amd owns them wonder if they going to "Hold out" on intel with the xfire make they pay dear.

No license renewal for ATi from Intel.

no company can buy nvidia, nvidia is too big and expensive

Intel, MS, AMD, all can easily buy nVidia. nVidia is worth in the billions I believe, but so are the three companies I listed. ;)

Intel, MS, AMD, all can easily buy nVidia. nVidia is worth in the billions I believe, but so are the three companies I listed. ;)

ATI ran AMD 5.4 billion...... that's a lot of :filtered: money man. I knew it was a big business, but didn't know it was that big.....

BTW Brandon..... did you get bit by a dog or something? Sounds like you are hatin on man's best friend.....

Edited by Agent Smith

statement from AMD/ATI:

HardOCP does have the answer to some of the questions that gaming and hardware enthusiasts alike are wanting answered. Don’t think for a second that ATI is “going away” or will now be in a lesser position to compete in the discrete graphics arena.

Here are some quotes from AMD/ATI that were supplied to us from a close source.

AMD + ATI will continue to be very committed to the GFX (VGA) & Motherboard channel. The Goal of the company is to be the #1 WW supplier of GFX solutions as well the #2 WW chipset supplier.

AMD + ATI will continue to invest heavily in GPU development and strive to maintain our product leadership.

We will continue to invest heavily in the chipset business for both AMD and Intel based CPU’s AMD + ATI will be very committed to the channel and the ecosystem partners/customers.

The company will continue to leverage the ATI & Radeon brand in the channel for the GFX and chipset products.

We will continue to be committed to our mutual channel customers. We will offer our customers a stronger line-up of solutions that will allow them to win in the market place.

We will continue to deliver leading edge solutions on all platforms: AMD + ATI will continue to supply, support and refresh per the current roadmap − Same contract terms, delivery as today − Contacts for business and support relationships remain.

The no-nonsense manner of these statements should answer most of your initial questions about what AMD intends to do with ATI. Obviously the licensing agreements with Intel and impending competition with NVIDIA will spawn many an editorial once the picture begins to clear.

Edited by wizardx2

ATI ran AMD 5.4 billion...... that's a lot of :filtered: money man. I knew it was a big business, but didn't know it was that big.....

BTW Brandon..... did you get bit by a dog or something? Sounds like you are hatin on man's best friend.....

I have no problems with dogs. I figured if someone wants to have an obnoxiously large sig stating they dislike cats, why can't I do the same, but with dogs? :P

That is alot of money, but not all of it was in cash. Alot of it was in AMD stocks.

Edited by brandon

AMD could not afford to buy Nvidia.

They couldn't even afford to buy ATI, they had to borrow money to buy ATI, NVIDIA is worth 4 times the amount ATI is worth. ;)

AMD did not but ATI for the GPU's, they purchased ATI for the technology. You will in the future find much of that technology in processors. Processors do most of the work as it stands now, so building the technology into the processor core is where things will be headed now.

A perfect example of buying a company for "technology" rather then the chips they produce was Nvidias buy out of 3DFX. They bought 3DFX and within a year, that technology started apearing in nvidia products. ;)

AMD could not afford to buy Nvidia.

They couldn't even afford to buy ATI, they had to borrow money to buy ATI, NVIDIA is worth 4 times the amount ATI is worth. ;)

AMD did not but ATI for the GPU's, they purchased ATI for the technology. You will in the future find much of that technology in processors. Processors do most of the work as it stands now, so building the technology into the processor core is where things will be headed now.

A perfect example of buying a company for "technology" rather then the chips they produce was Nvidias buy out of 3DFX. They bought 3DFX and within a year, that technology started apearing in nvidia products. ;)

They couldn't afford to buy it outright, but they could buy it on credit. AMD if I recall is worth around 18 billion, and I doubt ATI is anywhere near that. While cash outright may not be an option, credit, cash, and stock certainly is. ;)

nVidia only has higher profit margins than ATI. When it comes to total marketshare, ATI is ahead of nVidia. They have more marketshare in the discrete laptop, mobile, and discrete PC graphics market. I bet if you buy a laptop, it has a Mobility Radeon in it. I think they have slightly higher share in the chipset market too. ;)

Also, ATI has bought some noteable graphics companies too, most notably ArtX, which made it so ATI had no competition in the graphics market from 2002-2004 due to R3xx. Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defun..._card_companies

Edited by brandon

I was wrong Nvidia is not worth 4 times what ATI is. They are worth almost about double what ATI is worth. ;)

Nvidia current worth 7,004,433,310

ATI sold for 4,500,000,000

Doesn't matter how many graphics chips ATI sells, because Nvidia is far more diversified by making sound chipsets, raid chipsets, video chipsets, motherboard chipsets........................They are more diversified and in short the company is worth more because of that fact.

ATI makes video related chipsets.

There is an old saying about putting all of your eggs in one basket. :lol:

My dual core, HD ready, SLI (ATI) mobile phone arrived today. I can 800000000000000 FPS on this baby, not to mention my 9.8 million gigahertz procesor.

Edited by tito

I was wrong Nvidia is not worth 4 times what ATI is. They are worth almost about double what ATI is worth. ;)

Nvidia current worth 7,004,433,310

ATI sold for 4,500,000,000

Doesn't matter how many graphics chips ATI sells, because Nvidia is far more diversified by making sound chipsets, raid chipsets, video chipsets, motherboard chipsets........................They are more diversified and in short the company is worth more because of that fact.

ATI makes video related chipsets.

There is an old saying about putting all of your eggs in one basket. :lol:

I thought it was 5 billion?

ATI makes graphic cards, chipsets, basically everything nVidia does, ATI does too, although I'm not sure about RAID. nVidia hasn't done anything in the sound area since nForce2 and SoundStorm.

nVidia may be worth more, but overall, ATI has more of the market than nVidia. Not to mention ATI has Wii Wii tucked under their belt, along with the 360.

I'm done. :)

Edited by brandon

I thought it was 5 billion?

ATI makes graphic cards, chipsets, basically everything nVidia does, ATI does too, although I'm not sure about RAID. nVidia hasn't done anything in the sound area since nForce2 and SoundStorm.

They do?

I have machines here with nv_raid, nv_net, nv_sound, nv_video, nv southbridge, and northbridge..........in other words complete motherboards with nvidia componants.

I have never seen ATI southbridge, or northbridge, ATI networking chipps, ATI sound, or ATI raid.....................

I would be interested if you could point me in the direction of complete ATI system motherboards. :tup:

They do?

I have machines here with nv_raid, nv_net, nv_sound, nv_video, nv southbridge, and northbridge..........in other words complete motherboards with nvidia componants.

I have never seen ATI southbridge, or northbridge, ATI networking chipps, ATI sound, or ATI raid.....................

I would be interested if you could point me in the direction of complete ATI system motherboards. :tup:

yea me too.. Only recently ATi had its own northbridge

Well the upside is, we may very well see these things within the next few years, of course they won't be labeled ATI anymore, but some of the technology will be used to make these things. :tup:

Another upside is ATI drivers may actually improve. :rolleyes: