Change Mode

Hardware drivers lost after WIN XP re-install?

Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop

Would not boot up due to corrupt config.sys file.

Re-installed Windows XP Home, boots up fine. All data lost but expected that.

But...

Identified several problems but no doubt more are there:

No modem identified, ports aren't even listed.

No DVD or CD play.

Has system sounds (pings & dings) but none for Pinball or Solitare.

No back-up data available.

Heeelp

Jim

The items you are immediately concerned about may become available when you install the motherboard ChipSet Drivers. Have you done that yet? (should be your first step after installing the WinXP operating system)

If you don't have the motherboard resource disk, go to the computer's/or the motherboards website.

Look up ;your model machine - driver downloads

You should be able to download all necessary driver software for hardware that came as original equipment from the manufacturer.

if you added hardware, you're on your own, or can go to that manufacturer's website.

Best Regards

Downloaded R82638 from Dell website, seemed to install normally but has made no change in laptop.

Re-started, went top new hardware, same as before. (No Audio Device, no modem installed, DVD & CD not working.

No joy.

Mouse, sorry, no yellow disk available.

Jim

Downloaded R82638 from Dell website, seemed to install normally but has made no change in laptop.

Re-started, went top new hardware, same as before. (No Audio Device, no modem installed, DVD & CD not working.

No joy.

Mouse, sorry, no yellow disk available.

Jim

on the bottom of your laptop, there should be a label w/ your service tag #. go to dell support and enter your service tag # in option 1. download ALL the drivers for the OS that you are running. executing most of the drivers will give you an option to "run from current location" or "save to disk".....you must choose "run from current location" to install the drivers, the "save to disk" option doesn't work.

post back if you need more help

jim, how are you getting the drivers onto the laptop after downloading them? the best method would be to put the entire set of files (as downloaded) on a cd and then copy to laptop's hdd before running them.

i learned all this the hard way....bought a latitude CPxJ 650gt secondhand, no drivers/recovery disks included.

Dell usually comes with a CD/DVD to do a fresh install, did you not get this CD?

What model dell is it?

Edited by X_C

Just had a look at the download page for that 9200 of yours, and about the only way to figure out which network/ethernet/lan driver you need is to use the service tag as there are 17 different network drivers listed. Of course you only need this driver if you are connected to the internet via dsl or cable, or going to connect the laptop to a home netwrok.

There is also one driver for a 56k modem, which you will only need if you are connecting via dialup.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...=WW1&osl=EN

Stormy 13

I used the service tag on the downloads I obtained, I believe I got the 'chipset drivers' first.

I was hoping the needed ones would be loaded together or will I need to get them individually?

How do I get 'ports' to show up on device drivers?

Jim

Your lappy sounds like my desktop,

Posted Image

No "ports" listed there either. Then again I have them all disabled in the bios as I never use them. Might want to have a look in the bios and see if that is the case with your lappy. That's one of those things that if Windows can't "see" it, Windows won't show it. Also more than likely the ports that are missing are the serial and parallel and possibly printer (if present). One more thing, in most cases you do not have to install drivers for those ports as Windows will install them.

I would only worry about those three if you were only going to use them. Same thing goes for the modem assuming that you are using dsl/cable to connect it to the internet. If interested you can have a look at the service manual fo that laptop here,

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/sm/index.htm

from having a quick look at that it is possible that the modem card has been pulled from it.