Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

The Need For Speed

The first step is admitting that I have a problem and realizing that I am powerless to fix it.

Me too Rob, and it's called dialup. :bawling: Wanna trade? Maybe you can talk Verizon into getting DSL out here. :mrgreen:

Maybe you can talk Verizon into getting DSL out here. :mrgreen:

Where I live they will never have "conventional" broadband connections. I had been following the wireless world for some time now and I finally was able to connect to a WISP (wireless internet service provider) last spring. The service I have is about 300K bps for about $30/month. They have much faster connections but of course the prices goes up. They install a small antenna on your roof, like a TV antenna, and you transmit and receive signals from a tower.

WISP Providers in the USA, click on your state.

Well just my luck. I guess I'm doomed.

We are a local company located right here in northwest Fort Worth. Clear signal must exist between the antenna and your site. Trees and hills can interfere with signal.

I live in a little valley surrounded by trees. :hammer:

I don't think DivX is grainy..............if you set the quality when encoding it into a DivX low, sure, or if you set the decode quality to low, sure, but DivX is a quality video codec........

Andy

andycool22 at gmail dot com.

divx doesn't produce poor quality copies if done correctly. Of course, most people now

use xvid, which is superior to divx. I have seen many excellent reproductions of DVDs

made with xvid that visuall equal to the original DVD on a 25 inch monitor.

Meh, I ran a test and my speed is about 11,000 download. Can I say yay?

I've had Comcast broadband and digital cable for a couple of years now. It seems that they increase bandwidth every 6months....or so it seems. I have tested my connection through www.speakeasy.net and I am downloading around 14,500kbs and uploading around 750. :clap: