Change Mode

P4 And Slow Uncached Speeds

franglais

Over the past two or three weeks there seems to be a rash of tests and all have the same problem, they all run P4's all have SDRAM memory, all formatted to NTFS and all have very slow uncached speeds, that the test hi-lights in yellow, With two of the users I and quite a few other members have tried everything to address this problem with absolutely no joy.

Does someone hold the key to this problem, I remember this time last year it was the "Slow AMD SYndrome" that was always a problem...Could this be the "Intel Alternative"...I remember reading some of the large PC vendors were taking Intel to court over the "failure of early P4's to reach a reasonable performance". I have to admit, this one has me flumoxed!! :blink:

I'm not saying that you are...but there is something amiss, perhaps it is the SDRAM that the P4 don't like, but I thought Intels were better at utilising memory, but the machines that "limped" to the Pit certainly had a problem (and STLL have!)

It is no secret that the design of the P4 demands fast memory to help it do it's work. Or it might be better to say that the P4 design is best suited to take advantage of fast memory better then any other CPU. When the P4 first came out in the 1300 1400 and 1500 flavors using rdram pc600 the machines were dogs. I got one of the first 1500s with pc600 and the thing was terrible. Then came PC800 memory and those same cpus came to life. Now with PC1066 and dual channel DDR the machines are true performance machines.

AdamMAXIS, yours is not low because of the memory, yours is low because of the OS. The cached and uncached speeds of the P4 that we see on the pit are not indicative of the system as much as they are the OS. The same machine with Win2000 or XP would be scoring in the 1600-1700 range without any problem.

The cached and uncached speeds of the P4 that we see on the pit are not indicative of the system as much as they are the OS. The same machine with Win2000 or XP would be scoring in the 1600-1700 range without any problem.

We were going to post a change this week that had a longer disk test for recent processors, because I think some of the problem is just due to the test taking too short a time to run. With all the other stuff going on (fallout from SQL Slammer and the forums switchover) I don't know if I'm ready to handle complaints about the disk test this week as well.

I've noticed a few systems with slow disk but we haven't really narrowed it down yet. The "slow AMD K6" problem was due to a specific bug in a Via chipset. What we need to find out is what these guys have in common. Is it the drive? The chipset? The driver?

Thanks for the info Dave, I remember well what caused the "Slow AMD Syndrome", I was one of those affected (cured it with PowerTweak, if you remember). I only put that comparison in to try and generate a little Intel user"pride" and create a little P4 user comment! ;) .

yea Franglais....I remember how AMD didn't perform well...

I guess you didn't know that P4s were optimized for Rambus and never SDRAM (well, SDRAM DDR works ok but not near as good as RAMBUS and unfortunately, AMD can't use RDRAM). If you are asking if people bought a cheaper system and now want to sue because it isn't as fast as the better system :lol::lol::lol: ...well...I guess everyone that doesn't own a P4 3.06 is ready to call a lawyer! B)

all formatted to NTFS

Well....Pitstop tests post that NTFS is slower than FAT32 but offers other advantages. This has been widely debated here an other places.

robgosty...very nice scores...even for NTFS! ( you are low on the first one because you are down to 38% free space).

Edited by x5dr

the p4 relies on the memory to keep it going good. so you will need fast memory in order to let the p4 perform optimaly its just the way the p4 is built.if u have sdram in a p4 it wont be running very well get some faster ram and it will run much better.