Sign in to follow this  
ymarie

spysweeper

:wp:

I tried the 30 day trial of SpySweeper and I liked it a lot. I think they are really up to date, especially with Trojan detection.

I had Spyware Doctor for a year and it is not bad. Their real time protection is really good.

I would buy SpySweeper but I am using PestPatrol right now. As soon as the new version of CounterSpy comes out, I will be using that one. http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm

As long as it isn't on this list as a rogue anti-spyware, it is a good idea to test them if they offer a trial.

http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Anyone that has compared this to spyware DR.. please let me know.

I am using Spysweeper a Webroot systems product since Feb. of this year. I like the shields and supposed to detects worms before they reach you. But I just used PC Pitstop's Exterminator on a quick scan and found Trojan.win32ftp Attack on my PC that Spysweeper did not as well as 3 other Tracking cookies. After I did the Exterminator scan I Scanned with Norton's Internet Sercurity + Antispyware Full scan and it did not detect anything either. Now I am wondwering how I can remove this Trojan as I went Compter Associates "CA" and the files it affects or controls are some of windows registary, executables in windows/ 32system/ such as Dr.Watson and numerous DLL files. I know they easy way would be to purchase PCpitstop's Exterminator, but at the moment hardup in the cash department.

I sent Spysweeper a detailed report this morning,

Nrton suggests using thier program in safemode, I trying that once before and was given error message that not enough drivers or resources.

Does anyone have other solutions for removule of Trojan.win32.ftp attack ?

CiscoKid

:hammer:

Hi everyone :adios: I have Spy Sweeper and I love it! I tried Spyware Doctor and it fought with Spy Sweeper. I got rid of it. I like Spy Sweeper because my computer got infected with spyware really bad last summer. After hours on the phone with Dell, they helped me get rid of the spyware and then recommended Spy Sweeper. I have had it for over a year, actually I just renewed my subscription. I also have pest patrol installed. And together, in my opinion they both work well together. I also have Norton for my antivirus. It also has a spyware scan, but it never finds anything. So I do not depend on Norton for antispyware.

sorry to hear about that dern Trojan. I wish I could be of more help.

I am using Spysweeper a Webroot systems product since Feb. of this year. I like the shields and supposed to detects worms before they reach you. But I just used PC Pitstop's Exterminator on a quick scan and found Trojan.win32ftp Attack on my PC that Spysweeper did not as well as 3 other Tracking cookies. After I did the Exterminator scan I Scanned with Norton's Internet Sercurity + Antispyware Full scan and it did not detect anything either. Now I am wondwering how I can remove this Trojan as I went Compter Associates "CA" and the files it affects or controls are some of windows registary, executables in windows/ 32system/ such as Dr.Watson and numerous DLL files. I know they easy way would be to purchase PCpitstop's Exterminator, but at the moment hardup in the cash department.

I sent Spysweeper a detailed report this morning,

Nrton suggests using thier program in safemode, I trying that once before and was given error message that not enough drivers or resources.

Does anyone have other solutions for removule of Trojan.win32.ftp attack ?

CiscoKid

:hammer:

After stumbling on the version 5.0.5 build 1268 release, Webroot have issued v5.0.7 build 1608 and it seems to work very well and I can't find many problems, just one or two isolated issues with a couple of users.

I think it's worth a try.

Hi TeMerc :adios:

I have to agree with you there. I also think it is alot faster too :)

After stumbling on the version 5.0.5 build 1268 release, Webroot have issued v5.0.7 build 1608 and it seems to work very well and I can't find many problems, just one or two isolated issues with a couple of users.

I just installed Build 1608... yes, it is faster BUT the performance "improvement" is acheived in a very sneaky way. In the new build, the "keylogger shield" is no longer a recommended shield (as it was in the last build). When you install the new build, it disables the keylogger shield (which was responsible for the performance issues noted by many users in the last build). This is not a very good fix as it disables key funtionality (the ability to continuously monitor for keyloggers).

BTW... Webroot has a 30-day return policy, so I'll be retunring my software. Other users can download v4.5 (which is much quicker and fully functional) by clicking the following link (provided by a sympathetic Webroot tech support person):

http://sales.webroot.com/downloads/registe...p45setup1_1.exe

I was wrong in that incedent Spy Sweeper was RIGHT, the scan (Brief) that was performed by Pitstops scanner was off a little , Then when I did a complete scan with PCPitStop's Spy scanner it did not give me same info, but did manage to find files I had downloaded and never opened that were Spyware And Worse!

CiscoKid

does this version constantly try to access the net and does it still use up cpu usage like 5.0.5 did?.....version 5.0.5 was no different than spyware in my opinion I paid for this program and I'm not very happy about it

Joe, CPU appears to be under control based on nearly all that I have read, couple of people still complaining tho.

As far as SS wanting to get out all the time, I haven't seen people complain of that, never noticed it on my box all the years I had it.

I'm having a problem once I upgraded to version 5.

Even after I close the program, it still has "SpySweeper.exe" running in the background, and I can't terminate it, not even with a reboot, unless I disable the service, followed by a reboot.

Does that happen to anyone else?

Yes it continues in the background, even when I shut it down...I am having problems with it and ZA allowing McAfee Site Advisor to be onboard my machine. ZA recognizes my "allow", SS doesn't let it in...even when I click on allow the BHO. :ok:

I'm trying to figure out where the settings are to let me do what I want. I'm new to this program. I don't need it, but I try everything I suggest to our users out.

Joe, CPU appears to be under control based on nearly all that I have read, couple of people still complaining tho.

As far as SS wanting to get out all the time, I haven't seen people complain of that, never noticed it on my box all the years I had it.

My ZA icon was constantly showing it uploading in my internet connection, when I blocked SS from net access, it started behaving better, and the CPU usage dropped off too..... that was with version 5.0.5, I uninstalled that now, and I can't tell you if the 5.0.7 version is doing that cuz I don't want it back on my system now, even tho I paid for this, I'm really disappointed in their product testing, I feel if I purchase it.... I shouldn't be thier beta tester too, 5.0.5 was poorly done and I haven't decided if I'm going to install any other versions yet. Jacee, try blocking SS with ZA from the net?.....seemed to make some differences in the 5.0.5 version

Spy Sweeper: :five:

I am using Spysweeper a Webroot systems product since Feb. of this year. I like the shields and supposed to detects worms before they reach you. But I just used PC Pitstop's Exterminator on a quick scan and found Trojan.win32ftp Attack on my PC that Spysweeper did not as well as 3 other Tracking cookies. After I did the Exterminator scan I Scanned with Norton's Internet Sercurity + Antispyware Full scan and it did not detect anything either. Now I am wondwering how I can remove this Trojan as I went Compter Associates "CA" and the files it affects or controls are some of windows registary, executables in windows/ 32system/ such as Dr.Watson and numerous DLL files.

No Anti spyware product is perfect, so you must use a combination of that.

I'm having a problem once I upgraded to version 5.

Even after I close the program, it still has "SpySweeper.exe" running in the background, and I can't terminate it, not even with a reboot, unless I disable the service, followed by a reboot.

Does that happen to anyone else?

it runs even when you exit the program, because the program is still monitoring in the backround, although at a slightly lesser RAM usage. Edited by ineedhelpregularly21

I've tried 4 or 5 different builds that webroot has sent me, it still slows my start-up , shutdown and cpu usage is high. I finally gave up and got http://www.superantispyware.com/

great program so far. I got the Pro version. It's free to try, no slowdowns at all .

I used SpySweeper for almost 3 years. It was acceptable but the moment they released the 5.x version, all hell broke loose. It created a conflict with Ad-Aware, it ran in the background almost every hour and was a cpu hugger.

I was lucky that my subscription was coming up, so I dropped Webroot SpySweeper and I am a very happy camper.

Currently I use BitDefender 9, Spyware Doctor and Zone Alarm.

Once in a while I run Ad-Aware and SpyBot. So far I am pleased with the results.

By the way, Webroot has a lousy support level.

it runs even when you exit the program, because the program is still monitoring in the backround, although at a slightly lesser RAM usage.

When I exit the program, I shut it down by hitting "Shutdown" from the taskbar icon menu.

When I shut it down, I want it shut down.

I don't want it running in the background in any way, shape, or form. And I don't particularly like having to disable the service and reboot everytime I exit the program.

It's ridiculous.

Yeah, Spy Sweeper is a good program, but it is one of the "memory hog programs". I mean that adding more RAM can be the solution. And every almost download site has the editor's choice 5 stars on it :P

I've tried 4 or 5 different builds that webroot has sent me, it still slows my start-up , shutdown and cpu usage is high. I finally gave up and got http://www.superantispyware.com/

great program so far. I got the Pro version. It's free to try, no slowdowns at all .

maybe you run Spy Sweeper on just 256MB of RAM. try upgrading your system.

"Min. Requirements for Spy Sweeper (for me):"

1GHz Processor and above

512MB RAM (if you dont have money, try setting your Swap file to 4096MB (max)

100MB HDD space

I don't want it running in the background in any way, shape, or form. And I don't particularly like having to disable the service and reboot everytime I exit the program.

It's ridiculous

then if you do that it will look like you dont have anti spyware installed :P Edited by ineedhelpregularly21

using not only an older version of za (4.5) but also if you use a simple program like tcp view, you can see SS constantly uploading something to the net...

Posted Image

then if you do that it will look like you dont have anti spyware installed :P

I don't need an anti-spyware program running in the background. I only have ewido and SpySweeper installed for ondemand scanning ;) Plus, my Kaspersky Internet Security has an Anti Spyware feature built in.

I'm not worried about downloading spyware and stuff. I use Opera and avoid surfing random sites with IE ;)