Change Mode

Grapics card fan speed control

:help:

I just bought this new x1800 crossfire edition card and man it runs hot. I can use ATI tray tools to fine tune the fan speed controls a certain temps but every time I reboot it defaults back to manufactures specs. At manufacture specs this card runs at about 91c on Fear. With some tuning I can keep it below 70c. Is there a program out there that will remember those settings, or am I just missing something on this program?

Thanks for your help.

:help:

I just bought this new x1800 crossfire edition card and man it runs hot. I can use ATI tray tools to fine tune the fan speed controls a certain temps but every time I reboot it defaults back to manufactures specs. At manufacture specs this card runs at about 91c on Fear. With some tuning I can keep it below 70c. Is there a program out there that will remember those settings, or am I just missing something on this program?

Thanks for your help.

Wow! That is extremly hot! I wish I could tell you something that would help! How is the ventilation in your case, and how hot is the ambient temps there?

Wow! That is extremly hot! I wish I could tell you something that would help! How is the ventilation in your case, and how hot is the ambient temps there?

Pretty good ventilation, case temp runs about 33c. Mobo temp about the same. I run this 3.8 intel which is hot as well but water cooling keeps it about 38c to 40c at idle. I just think these ATI cards run hot, but a little adjusting with the fan speed cools it down fairly well. Its just a pain to have to reset these settings every time you reboot.

Pretty good ventilation, case temp runs about 33c. Mobo temp about the same. I run this 3.8 intel which is hot as well but water cooling keeps it about 38c to 40c at idle. I just think these ATI cards run hot, but a little adjusting with the fan speed cools it down fairly well. Its just a pain to have to reset these settings every time you reboot.

Ya I hear ya! Hope it works out for ya!! :)

I have a EVGA GeForce 7600GT CO. Believe me I know how you feel when the card gets hot. What I used to cool the video card down was Rivatuner. Rivatuner allows you to underclock, overclock, and control the fan speed on cards. I am not sure if you are able to use it on an ATI x1800 Crossfire Card. It is worth a try though. If you can use rivatuner to control the fan speed what you should do is save a profile for each setting. Those profiles being Standard 3D, Low Power 3D, and Performance 3D. fter you set your fan speed you should be able to check the box that says "Apply Fan Settings at Startup." To make sure that Rivatuner remembers these settings, click the option that allows Rivatuner to run at system Startup. I hope this helps you out.

P.S. The Low Power 3D setting does not work on Nvidia based cards. It might be different in your case.

Edited by ShadowPredator

You should be able to use ATI Tool to control that. Go to Settings/fan control and check the box that says "override fan speeds". Make sure that "fixed percentage" is checked and in the box it says "100%". That should take care of your problem, 'course it does make the fan run full blast all the time. ;)

In ATI tool at the fan tablet you have to tick that Use selected profile at start up.You dont have the profile made so it can not use it at start up.To make a profile adjust the fan settings as you want it then hit "save as" and choose a name for it.

You can do a profile for gaming with higher fanspeeds and an another just to browsing.Then you can use hotkeys to switch between them.Same with the O/C.

If you want to save a certain fansettings for O/C you have to run on the card O/Cd when you hit save as otherwise the Tool will overwrite your O/C settings with the current one and you will lose that profile.It is fairly easy to do its all makes more sense when you do it.My english....well... :)

I use the OSD to show temps and all for the card to see what is the temp and the fanspeed during gameplay.You can adjust the fans to come on at higher speed accordingly.

Thanks Shadow, I downloaded it and I'm working with it now to see what I can do.

caintry, This is the program I've used up to this date, >>ATI Tray Tools 1.0.5.880<<. I guess it's the same one your talking about. I see where you can include in the profile a constant fan speed, but it would be nice to save the "Automatic Fan Control Table".

Here's a couple of screenies:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Pentium Extreme

In ATI tool at the fan tablet you have to tick that Use selected profile at start up.You dont have the profile made so it can not use it at start up.To make a profile adjust the fan settings as you want it then hit "save as" and choose a name for it.

You can do a profile for gaming with higher fanspeeds and an another just to browsing.Then you can use hotkeys to switch between them.Same with the O/C.

If you want to save a certain fansettings for O/C you have to run on the card O/Cd when you hit save as otherwise the Tool will overwrite your O/C settings with the current one and you will lose that profile.It is fairly easy to do its all makes more sense when you do it.My english....well... :)

I use the OSD to show temps and all for the card to see what is the temp and the fanspeed during gameplay.You can adjust the fans to come on at higher speed accordingly.

Your english is as good as mine mem23, probably better. I'm not sure why but when I try to save these settings as a profile, then tell it to load that profile as startup it does not work. Maybe CCC is overriding these settings. I'll try to uninstall it and see what happens.

As it turns out, there are two different programs, ATITool and Atitraytool. I loaded ATITool 0.25 beta 14 and was able to save the fan settings on it. I used to use this program to overclock my x800xl. With this x1800 card all I can use to overclock it is Cat Cont Center. All other programs either give me a message stating that "the driver for this card automaticaly adjusts the clocks depending on 2d or 3d usage" (or something like that), or I get major artifacting right away. I was using Atitraytool to display temps on the 3d screens. Oh well, now I have to find ANOTHER program for that. :pullhair:

I have my setup on ATiTool so that as the card gets hotter the fan speeds up, have it at startup then no need to change it anymore :)

yea, that's what I just did too. I tried to do it with that atitraytool program but it would not save it as a profile. had to re-enter all the speeds every time I rebooted.

As it turns out, there are two different programs, ATITool and Atitraytool. I loaded ATITool 0.25 beta 14 and was able to save the fan settings on it. I used to use this program to overclock my x800xl. With this x1800 card all I can use to overclock it is Cat Cont Center. All other programs either give me a message stating that "the driver for this card automaticaly adjusts the clocks depending on 2d or 3d usage" (or something like that), or I get major artifacting right away. I was using Atitraytool to display temps on the 3d screens. Oh well, now I have to find ANOTHER program for that. :pullhair:

I was sure we are talking about the ATT=Ati TrayTool.It probably gives you artifacts becouse the default fanspeed is too low.In my case it did run the fan at 100% when the card reached 90C and at 75C still was running at 32% only.Just too hot.

Wanna try the Omega drivers may be?It comes with ATT as well if I'm not mistaken.

I was sure we are talking about the ATT=Ati TrayTool.It probably gives you artifacts becouse the default fanspeed is too low.In my case it did run the fan at 100% when the card reached 90C and at 75C still was running at 32% only.Just too hot.

Wanna try the Omega drivers may be?It comes with ATT as well if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going to have to do something, now my system has locked up on me twice and rebooted once. Some type of driver conflict it never had before.

Ok, I got it. You have to use both ATITool and ATITrayTool with CCC. Use ATITool to load a profile with the fan speeds and set it up to load a profile and go away. ATITrayTool picks up the fan speed profile and applies it's OSD settings in 3D mode. Then use CCC to overclock. :bang::cow:

.......Or you can have only the ATT installed and do all the overclocking,profiling,fansettings alltogether. :clap:

No, that's the thing. ATT cannot overclock this card apparently. As soon as you try with ATITool you get all kinds of artifacts. If you try with ATITrayTool it tells you that it cannot, due to the driver for this card having a pre programed 2d and 3d clocking setup (or something along those lines). PLUS you cannot load a profile with ATITrayTool so to get your fan speed array. Unless I'm doing something wrong but I was able to it all with my x800xl card, not this one. :shrug:

So basicly theres must be a bug with your card not being able to work with.That is why I did suggest that try the Omega driver.Might just can help workaround this issue.Dont get me wrong I dont push anything.If your happy with the things are now got everything to work.I know I would not rest till I get to the end of it.Did you checked the ATT website for known bugs with your card?

This is the version you have tried?

* Fixed bug with auto fan control on R5xx boards (X1600/X1800/X1900)

* Updated injection code to allow to use custom made (fake) d3d dll files.

* Fixed bug with loading color profile using hot keys

http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/

Yes, that is the version I'm using. Probably is a bug with this card. Kind of unusual just to have this card (crossfire version) as compared to the x1800xt. Basically the same card but with crossfire capablility. I've tried uninstalling re-installing, using the driver cleaner pro. I will try the omega drivers, but with the setup I have now it is doing everything I need it to. I'm just a little over cautious right now with the new card and all, rather expensive (although I got a nice price). When I tried to overclock with ATITools and I got nothing but atifacts and blank screens it got me a little nervous. :fear: But one day soon when I'm bored I want to see how the card benches with the omega drivers as compared to the ATI.