Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oxford

PCPOptmise and Windows Defender

Hello

During the last 4 days I have recieved error popups, Optimise was prevented from initiating and the program is prevented from functioning in any way.

Complete removal of the program and firewall entries, reboot and reinstall allows the use of the program again. Upon reboot the program is once again rendered useless.

This proceedure has been repeated 4 times now and I finally just uninstalled it completely for now.

The Windows Defender program does not show any reference to the action taken against the error, however in the System Event Viewer this is listed:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: WinDefend

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3004

Date: 13/07/2006

Time: 10:21:34 AM

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software.

For more information please see the following:

http://www.microsoft.com

Scan ID: {E5EF36FE-4452-40B4-A513-43FFF40F365A}

User:

Name: Unknown

ID:

Severity ID:

Category ID:

Path Found: regkey:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler;runkey:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler;file:C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe

Alert Type: Unknown

Detection Type:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Has anyone experienced this or better still have an answer that will correct the problem.

Thanks

Oxford :geezer:

Thank you Oxford. Very valuable information. Am I understanding correctly that Optimize worked just fine until Windows Defender was installed? Have you tried setting optimize as an "always allow" in WD?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...vgd/defsol.mspx

If that doesn't work, can you please try this as a work-around: Go to Start>Run> and type "regedit" without the quotes. When the registry editor opens navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler

and delete the Optimize entry from the right hand pane. Then try running the program and see if Windows Defender is happy.

Please let us know how you're getting along.

Thank you Oxford. Very valuable information. Am I understanding correctly that Optimize worked just fine until Windows Defender was installed? Have you tried setting optimize as an "always allow" in WD?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...vgd/defsol.mspx

If that doesn't work, can you please try this as a work-around: Go to Start>Run> and type "regedit" without the quotes. When the registry editor opens navigate to: H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler

and delete the Optimize entry from the right hand pane. Then try running the program and see if Windows Defender is happy.

Please let us know how you're getting along.

Honoured with your quick response!

Windows Defender was installed proir to the last PCPOtmise update, I was not really paying attention to the event viewer until the first time the system disallowed the start of PCPOptimise.

Yes I had already allowed permission in WD: ALSO confirmed the allowed process.

SO: I have tried your work-around and so far the event viewer has listed:

1 The same as previously reported (prior to work-around)

THEN

2 The event viewer stating the allowed process (prior to work-around)

Then applied the work-around, rebooted and played around for a bit. Tried to start PCPOptimise and all appears OK. Repeated / reboot 2 times more and nothing irregular to report at this time.

Thanks Oxford :geezer: