Sign in to follow this  
skaplan

Cannot uninstall version 1.0.0.12

My question is similar to the one Bevis posted this morning. You might want to post the answer to the forum.

I have downloaded the updated Optimize 1.5, but when I try to install it, I receive the following error message:

The uninstall log file “C:\Program Files|PCPitstop|Optimize|unins000.dat” is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall.

Guest Guest

Doug,

I followed both steps which you sent me, but I am still receiving the same message.

I tried to remove the program using Add/Remove on Windows XP and I received the identical error message: "The uninstall log file “C:\Program Files|PCPitstop|Optimize|unins000.dat” is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall. "

Help!

What version of Optimize are you trying to remove?

If it's 1.0.0.14, reinstall from the first link. Do not try to uninstall. The upgrade version will do that for you. After you get 1.0.0.14 installed from the first link, download and install 1.5.8.1 from the second link.

If it is not 1.0.0.14, I need to know what version it is.

I'm sorry - I meant to mention in the first email that the Add/Remove program advises it is version 1.0.0.12.

However, when I use Windows Exlporer, the pcpoptimize file is version 1.0.0.14, created on 7/18/05 containing 729 KB.

There are two (2) unins000 files under PC Pitstop>Optimize. One is identified as and Uninstaller, file version 51.15.0.0 created on 6/15/04 containing 75.5 KB. The second unins000 is a DAT file, with 11.9 KB, modified this afternoon (7/11/06).

Many thanks.

This has been working with the 1.0.0.12 version up to now. :unsure:

Don't try to use any uninstaller, just let 1.5.8.1 take care of that and see what happens.

Unfortunately, trying to install version 1.5.8.1 is what originally and continues to give me the cannot install message. The file which prompts the error message is the uninstall log file (C:\Program Files|PCPitstop|Optimize|unins000.dat) is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall. " This file has the (MS Internet) Explorer symbol in front of the file (as do the datarbk, errorsreport, datares files.

Thanks again.

Sorry for being confusing. Too many versions going around.

Please try this:

1) Download and install version 1.0.0.14 from the link in the email

immediately after that finishes,

2) Downlaod and install version 1.5.8.1 from the other link.

Please let me know what happens.

I have (once again) reinstalled Optimize 1.0.0.14 immediately before trying to install Optimize 1.5.8.1 from the links which you emailed. I continue to receive the following error message: "The uninstall log file

C:\Program Files|PCPitstop|Optimize|unins000.dat” is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall."

To review:

1. In the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs>PC Pitstop Optimize,

the Support Information reads that it is version 1.0.0.12. (The box at the top of the Add/Remove screen is checked to show updates.)

2. When I use Windows Exlporer, the PC Pitstop Optimize file is version 1.0.0.14, created on 7/18/05 containing 729 KB.

3. There are two (2) unins000 files under PC Pitstop>Optimize.

a. One is identified as an Uninstaller file version 51.15.0.0 created on 6/15/04 containing 75.5 KB.

b. The second unins000 is a DAT file, with 11.9 KB, modified this 7/11/06.

4. Trying to install version 1.5.8.1 continues to give me the cannot install message. The file which prompts the error message is the uninstall log file (C:\Program Files|PCPitstop|Optimize|unins000.dat) is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall. " This file has the (MS Internet) Explorer symbol in front of the file (as do the datarbk, errorsreport, datares files).

5. Trying to uninstall using the Control Panel>Add/Remove function gives me the same error message as above.

Please note, In Start>All Programs>PC Pitstop Optimize there is a choice of:

a. PC Pitstop Optimize>Properties> created September 1, 2005 and modified July 12, 2006

b. PC Pitstop Optimize on the Web and>Properties>created September 1, 2005 and modified July 12, 2006

c. Uninstall PC Pitstop Optimize>Properties>created September 1, 2005 and modified July 12, 2006

I'm wondering if I should try to uninstall using that access and then install the new version - I have my License Key.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Yes, try uninstalling using the uninstaller in the PC Pitstop\Optimize folder. I expect the same result, but it certainly can't hurt.

If that doesn't work, go to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize and delete the entire Optimize folder. Then try installing 1.5.8.1.

If that doesn't work, go to Start>Run>type "regedit" without the quotes and hit the 'enter' key.

Once the registry editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize and

delete that folder as well, then try installing 1.5.8.1 again.

Hurray!! Optimize 1.5.8.1 is now running on this computer!!

These are the results of each step I did:

1. I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller in the PC Pitstop\Optimize. You were right, I received the same error message.

2. I then used My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize to delete the entire Optimize folder.

a. When I tried installing 1.5.8.1, I was reminded that Optimize was already installed and when I replied to uninstall the existing copy, the program froze.

3. I finally went to Start>Run>regedit and located and deleted: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize.

a. I then installed Optimize 1.0.0.14 and then

b. immediately installed 1.5.8.1 again, not as a reinstall, but as a fresh install using my license key.

It installed smoothly. I used 1.5.8.1 and it ran smoothly, although it took well over 5 minutes to look for broken installed programs!

Thank your for your patience and help.